Voice texting via car Bluetooth?

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Android requires you to have your phone selected as the current source, at least with my non-Auto headunit, for this to work. Cortana did not. She would chime in even if you were listening to FM or AM radio, or any other source.

SmoovC

Dec 20, 2020
Visit site
On AA head units:
1) Texts will pop up on screen. You can either touch the screen to read, or ask Google to read them for you. In my 2019 vehicle you only get multiple texts if you have not read (listened), replied to, or dismissed texts received since connecting to Android Auto.

2) To eliminate "double notifications", you can turn off the "ask for access" notification and never deal with it. Additionally, you can turn off message access in Bluetooth settings (on the phone) for the Factory infotainment side; if you plan on using AA exclusively for messaging.

On non-AA head units:
1) You are in fact using your phone as the selected source (Bluetooth audio) for audible alerts to be heard. Optionally, you can have all audio routed through the phone speaker itself if listening to other sources via the vehicle's infotainment system. Effectively, you can listen to OTA radio while still using AA on the phone for texts, maps, Google Assistant, etc.

Bottom line: while I understand and can empathize with your frustrations, the reality is that Cortana & Windows OS for phones are no longer; so one must adapt & overcome! :wink:

Last edited:

Gertsy

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Yep I find this the most confusing and frustrating thing. I wish I could still use my Lumia 950 with Cortana it's 7 years old and is still more functional, intuitive and usable that iPhones or Androids of today. You keep getting responses from Android fans saying it can do it, It can't. They have no idea. Ive tried on a Samsung S21 (Android 11), Nokia 6.1 AndroidOne (Android 9). The closest I could get was on the Samsung with Bixby. At least you can get to read incoming texts thru bluetooth. But not directly reply. You have to do that separately with "Hey Bixby" or "Hey Google" but it looses context and you need to start from scratch. You cant just reply to the latest text. So flakey. This has nothing to do with the cars infotainment system. It's just simple bluetooth handsfree. Don't listen to anyone who tells you it's the car's capability, it isnt. Iphone 13 cant do it either. Appearently it can to it to their proprietary earbuds, but I bet you cant reply in context. How is it that 7 years after Windows Phone 10 this simple powerful capability is still wanting. Android and google is an absolute dogs breakfast. I know I've been trying to use it for the last 4 years. Fail.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I do feel you, hell before Facebook changed (the API as I understand it) I could hear then reply to Facebook messenger messages on top of texts. Truly innovative. My cars are 1999 and 2012 respectively so no Android Auto to be hoped for but I now work a 10-15 minute drive so nothing too terrible with those short drives.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro