W10 Design - Worse than 8.1?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
is it worth if for me to stay with a Windows phone just for the tiled home screen?
Probably not. If you can do/get everything else the same or better on the other platforms and the only thing WP has going for it is the Start screen, it may be time to head to those other OSes.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
What attracted me to a Windows phone was the entire interface design. Totally different, beautiful, and useful - compared to the Android and iOS devices I previously used. My concern is if Windows 10 makes everything look/act like my other options, is it worth if for me to stay with a Windows phone just for the tiled home screen?

Probably not. There's a few launchers on the Play Store that are pretty good at emulating the look of the Start screen.

Without the Metro UI there is little reason to stay, sadly. My 820 and 920 won't be "upgrading".

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My concern is if Windows 10 makes everything look/act like my other options, is it worth if for me to stay with a Windows phone just for the tiled home screen?

From my point of view W10M still has a few objective advantages:

a) The security of an iPhone (or slightly better), without the cost of an iPhone.
b) Single source mobile app development (Universal apps)
c) The privacy of an iPhone, without the cost of an iPhone.
d) Hardware choices, without the fragmentation of Android.

Those are all things that rank prominently on corporation's lists of desirable features. Unfortunately, consumers don't share many of those interests.

Last edited:

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
What attracted me to a Windows phone was the entire interface design. Totally different, beautiful, and useful - compared to the Android and iOS devices I previously used. My concern is if Windows 10 makes everything look/act like my other options, is it worth if for me to stay with a Windows phone just for the tiled home screen?

I'd argue that it still does have a distinct look, but since you disagree:

In the short term, no - ditch it now, breathe a sigh of relief that you're using an OS that feels complete today.

In the long term, yes. Wait at least until the autumn to see what WP10 becomes. Listen to people's opinions of how well W10 and WP10 work together as a symbiotic thing (assuming you use a Win PC).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria