W10M - The Sad Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user by any means. Unlocked AT&T 640 at 10.0.14393.576. Recently reinstalled OS from scratch, hoping that it would fix some issues, but to no avail.
Simplest test. Go to Settings ->"Update & security". There tap "Phone update". It should get you to the form where you can manually check for phone updates. Does this option work for you? For me, it works around 2 times out of 10. Other 8 times it simply does nothing, leaving me at the "Update & security" menu. Also, when I say that tapping this option does nothing, it is not so literally - looks like the phone does some processing with no visible results, because after the tap there is always ~5 sec delay before phone can react to any other taps. Also, it is the only "Phone update" option that (mis)behave like this. All the other options like "Backup", "Device encryption", etc, work Ok.
This one is relatively harmless bug, just very easy to describe. There are many others. Things like this poison the experience.
I totally hear you. But still I can say that I have none of that stuff on my Lumia Icon. That's why I say there's a myriad combinations of hardware, apps combo, os versions and user controlled environments.

You can have two people living next to each other - one has got heaven on earth and the other is in a living hell, go figure. The os; the apps combo, wha' wha' wha'

All I can say is I'm on the heaven on earth side for now. Hey but that has done a polar flip several times in my life :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I had a really important job interview today. Required a video conference call. The employer's HR had a custom setup.
Checked system set-up prior.
Of course there was an app to download.
Available for Firefox, Chrome, iOS, Android.
Well sh.t.! No Edge, Internet Explorer, WM of any kind.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I had a really important job interview today. Required a video conference call. The employer's HR had a custom setup.
Checked system set-up prior.
Of course there was an app to download.
Available for Firefox, Chrome, iOS, Android.
Well sh.t.! No Edge, Internet Explorer, WM of any kind.
WOW ! UNBELIEVABLE! I can't fault MS for that though. You have to REALLY stay on top of updates on those conferencing systems. A system that can't accommodate Edge or IE - ESPECIALLY IE - that's unconscionable! But I feel you're pain - I've been there many times myself as the onsite tech. It ain't no fun.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Last edited:

DomagojPetro

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
My friend has had constant issues with ios 10 on her iphone 6s. In fact, you can find just as many people complaining. It's really about your exact usage scenarios and whether they trigger bugs. W10M is in the same boat. I don't have bugs but I also may not use it like others. For example, I turn my phone off every night. That reboot alone could get rid of any small memory leaks that may build up or who knows.

Apple has been diligently releasing fixes for ios 10 though. This is their primary business so it's at a more rapid rate than w10m that's for sure.

I agree. I mostly use my 950 for calls, facebook and to check e-mails. I do not play games or watch videos (other devices are more appropriate for that). I use around 20 apps, and I've never had my phone freeze or restart on itself, or any other major problems. In the beginning it had some minor problems with camera, and the lack of double tap to wake was so surprising, but after a few updates I had no problems. Sound hound wouldn't launch, so I uninstalled it and cortana does the trick for music recognition. It connects with my car sync system perfectly and is compatible with my home pc win 10. All in all, for me, the W10M is the way to go, and MS should work on it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm with YOU, MAN !!!Some folks do soooo much with their phones and they never power it off unless there's a glitch or something.

There's a myriad scenarios for usage and some leave the user totally satisfied. That's like me and my Lumia ICON. I stay on the Insider Fast Ring and never a problem.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

I should have knocked on wood. Last night 950xl froze on me while unlocking. And this morning again. It seems like the iris scanner is not coming online and causing some weird condition. I hope the iris hardware is not going bad. This is also a replacement phone I got not too long ago for when my battery swelled up. So 3 phones in 1 year would be interesting. If MS of course has any stock to replace it under my complete warranty.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I should have knocked on wood. Last night 950xl froze on me while unlocking. And this morning again. It seems like the iris scanner is not coming online and causing some weird condition. I hope the iris hardware is not going bad. This is also a replacement phone I got not too long ago for when my battery swelled up. So 3 phones in 1 year would be interesting. If MS of course has any stock to replace it under my complete warranty.
The 950 and 950 XL are different creatures all together. I truly believe that a lot of them are bad off the line, but it takes couple weeks to a couple months for problems to manifest. And THATS without FastRing! Man, you guys put FastRing on those models and I can't believe it. I watch that FastRing thread though I can only rarely contribute since I only fly an ICON - I can't believe what you guys live through. Bottom line: a significant % of those devices are not specked well off the mfg line.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria