Waiting for WP Xbox Music App update!!

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I actually don't have much intention to update my WP8 to the next ecosystem (a Lumia 830), even if it is an option, which it may or may not be. It's really impossible to say when Xbox Music's successor is going to be implemented, much less when those of us with WP8 will get that update (if at all). Then, it's impossible to say if it'll be an improvement or not--I don't think we're going to get the functionality that we lost between WP7, WP8 and WP8.1 because no phone player has that functionality anymore (Google Play and iTunes certainly don't), and most consumers don't care about it.

That might not be a bad thing. WP8.1, if you'll remember, caused music "cracking" with any phone that originally had WP8 on it, something that's not to be fixed apparently. WP10's music player might introduce great features, or it might make things even worse. Very difficult to tell.

Right now, I use TagScanner (or just Window 7's own file explorer) to correct sort my music (I use to do this in Windows Media Player, but that doesn't rely on ID3, like most first-party music library software, iTunes, etc.) and the Windows Phone application to sync it (a little less clumsy). Personally, I just want artist cataloging and internet integration to reach WP7/8 levels, so I really don't care about the addition of new features (though I don't blame anyone who wants those added--applications should improve over time). The penalties of not updating when all the phone ecosystems are moving more and more towards yearly replacement of smartphones aren't that bad--they're mostly about not enjoying new features (like Cortana) rather than losing existing ones, fortunately (on the contrary, updating seems more likely to do that--removing chat integration at the request of Facebook, for example).

Music management seems to be about settling. iTunes still runs like crap on Windows operating systems (you know, that ecosystem 80 to 90% of computers connected to the internet use) 10 years later, but we've all gotten used to it more or less (or we just relied on alternatives). After the initial bare minimum of improvements, there's absolutely no interest in making it better as far as I can tell--the answer to the question, "How can iTunes be improved?" is "Buy an Mac and dual-boot." This is all just my theory on the matter though, and I don't have enough experience with Google Play to say the same.

EDIT: Though sure, say Xbox Music 3.0 is as amazing as some of the projected players we've seen here at Windows Central. I'll definitely take advantage of an update pathway if there is one! Otherwise, I'm good. I used my Dell Venue Pro for 4 years just fine.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
One of the MS folks said that the pace of updates was slowing as they're putting more resource into Windows 10 version. It may well have slowed to a stop.
Shame, as the app is still more or less unusable.

Scott Abercrombie

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I used to be one of the "faithful" but I've pretty much lost hope.The next time my XBox music pass comes up for renewal I'll probably switch platforms (and maybe have the opportunity for a family subscription??? HINT HINT!).
And if I switch away from music I'll probably look at getting a different(non Windows) phone, cancel my One Drive subscription, reconsider my Office subscription. And if I switch my wife will follow along, as well as other family members.
I love my 1020 but I'm already at the point where I can't in good conscience recommend any Windows phone to someone if they use their phone to listen to music. I've gone back to my trusty Zune HD for music and podcasts when I'm out running or driving.

It's unfathomable to me how they've managed to mess up what used to be a very good music system.

Kanga81

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
So MS expect us to keep paying for something that is broken
While they work on something else and hope that we will pay for that something else??

I am trying to rebuild my music library but I can't even download songs now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital