Wallet 2.0 with NFC Tap to Pay is now rolling out to Windows 10 Mobile Fast Ring (US only)

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure that whoever you talked to knew what they were talking about? I've found that these CS reps usually know little, at least about this type of thing.

talked to a different person and they said the rep was probably confused because android only works with their credit cards. So she was able to add my debit card and now my wallet works. Now to find a terminal that uses it - and hopefully it works with my case/wallet

tj_moore

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Pay, Apple Pay, and Android Pay do not include the chip information, which means that the terminal does not necessarily know that the card has a chip. As a result, it does not require using the chip. The transaction will proceed using NFC or MST. My thought was that Microsoft Wallet might include the information identifying the card as having a chip, resulting in the terminal requiring using the chip.
In the UK we've had "chip&pin" cards for years, but it doesn't affect use with NFC terminals.

Most of our cards are now "contactless" cards also, which just means an NFC chip in the card. No PIN required as it's limited to small transactions. Though every now and again it will insist on inserting the card. Android/Apple pay etc I believe can have higher limits. I think because the phone can do an extra layer of authorisation and can authorise with back end servers.

There's also a basic NFC tap to pay with phones, that's been going for years but less popular, and that's basically same as simple contactless cards. Doesn't even need the phone to be on or battery charged, as it uses the NFC wire plus authorisation from a special SIM. Problem is you're limited to the one card the operator has a deal with. EE in the UK had this going for a while, but I think it's been discontinued. Now it's all going towards apps (which means phone needs to be working to tap to pay).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254