Want to buy 1520 but have few ?s.

ky77

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello all. I been slowly falling in love with the 1520 and want to make switch but I am completely unfamiliar with windows. I'm on android now and have my choices down to note 3 and 1520. A few apps that I have on android I know or at least think they aren't available on wp8 but my question is can I use the browser and skip app and go straight to websites. These apps or sites are hbogo showtimeanytime and watchespn. Don't think they have apps but will the browser let me play media without the app. Also does windows have a store where I can buy or rent movies such as google play and iTunes. The store i think i found only had apps and music. I have played with the phone and haven't seen anything but maybe I'm just unfamiliar with where to look. These aren't deal breakers and even if I can't do these things I may still go lumina route just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello all. I been slowly falling in love with the 1520 and want to make switch but I am completely unfamiliar with windows. I'm on android now and have my choices down to note 3 and 1520. A few apps that I have on android I know or at least think they aren't available on wp8 but my question is can I use the browser and skip app and go straight to websites.

Yes, you can pin websites right to the start screen.

Also does windows have a store where I can buy or rent movies such as google play and iTunes. The store i think i found only had apps and music.

Microsoft is not in the Movie and TV business (Yet?).

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is not in the Movie and TV business (Yet?).

Microsoft had their own cable channel for years and if you are interested in news you can most certainly go to the app store and have news programs (Today, NBC news, Morning Joe, etc) downloaded to your Windows Phone automatically daily... for free.

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can pin websites right to the start screen.

Pinning wont do any good. I have HBO GO and you need flash to run it - which I don't using IE. Maybe there's a flash player app in the store *shrug*

Didn't see how to get into ShowtimeAnytime, but I assume a similar limitation. I don't have ESPN, but going there gave a 'WatchWPN App is not available on your device." message, so I'm guessing that's a no-go either.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Pinning wont do any good. I have HBO GO and you need flash to run it - which I don't using IE. Maybe there's a flash player app in the store *shrug*

Didn't see how to get into ShowtimeAnytime, but I assume a similar limitation. I don't have ESPN, but going there gave a 'WatchWPN App is not available on your device." message, so I'm guessing that's a no-go either.

How hard would it have been to implement flash in the first place?

Is it because Microsoft thought they could single handily force everyone to move on to html5? I mean...it just makes no sense...unless I'm missing something???

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
How hard would it have been to implement flash in the first place?

Is it because Microsoft thought they could single handily force everyone to move on to html5? I mean...it just makes no sense...unless I'm missing something???

I thought Apple killed Flash too (on iOS) - that's why the apps are needed in this case.

ky77

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks yea that you need flash installed message was what I was afraid of with those sites. Still think I'm going with The 1520. Looks like they are getting most major apps so hopefully since these are popular they will be joining wp8 sooner than later. Just checked out the new Xbox video app so that looks good. Only problem i see now is deciding between the red or the yellow 1520

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I too would love to see HBO Go (and Skinemax since I have that too), we'll see. Hopefully a Win8.1 app will help get the WP 8 app as well before the two supposedly merge :)

Figured it would help to actually go to the sites and see on my 1520 ;)

Yellow or Red, huh? Nice decision to have to make! If you have lots of music / pics etc (and soon, as I understand, apps as well) you'll want a good-sized micro SD card from the start so you can just plop your music / files down and go!

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks yea that you need flash installed message was what I was afraid of with those sites. Still think I'm going with The 1520. Looks like they are getting most major apps so hopefully since these are popular they will be joining wp8 sooner than later. Just checked out the new Xbox video app so that looks good. Only problem i see now is deciding between the red or the yellow 1520

Go with the yellow. And if you're looking for the latest movies only then yes the new Xbox Video app will take care of that. Otherwise you can always fall back on other apps like Netflix and Crackle etc.

possumdel

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Interesting to find this thread. I moved to WP from WebOS. Never used iPhone or Android. Although the Note 2 caught my eye, I just couldn't jump to Android. Then the Note 3 came along and I got interested again. I didn't get it when it was released, but I did last week. I just started a thread today over there about helping an Android noob. I don't know how you do it, man. This damned thing is driving me crazy. My biggest issue right now is whether to try and work out the issues I have with Android (least likely), go back to my 920 and wait until 8.1/1520 successor or trade the Note 3 for the 1520. I did get a chance to watch a basketball game on watch espn and that was a treat. The Note 3 is pretty slick. Unfortunately, I just can't handle Android.

possumdel

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, yeah. I know. Like I said, the Note 2 interested me a while back. Then the Note 3 caught my when it came around. I was interested in checking out a phone with everything the Note 3 had. I still have my 920, so no worries. The experience will cost me a little, but at least now my questions have been answered about Android

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually in the opposite boat of sorts. I have been using android for a few years now and just recently made the switch to WP due to work. It's taking some getting used to and as of right this moment, I'd have to suggest in favor of Android. Come WP 8.1, it might be a different story. For now though, if you have been using android, WP will be frustrating. I've slowly been coming to terms with the shortcomings and worked through them.

ky77

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually in the opposite boat of sorts. I have been using android for a few years now and just recently made the switch to WP due to work. It's taking some getting used to and as of right this moment, I'd have to suggest in favor of Android. Come WP 8.1, it might be a different story. For now though, if you have been using android, WP will be frustrating. I've slowly been coming to terms with the shortcomings and worked through them.
Curious since im in that android to windows scenario myself what in particular has given you the most frustration.

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It's actually a few things. There are some subtle differences that are just annoyances and then some complete oversights/decisions that aren't in the best interest of the user.

Can't charge with the phone powered off
No changing the launcher (That I'm aware of)
The home screen doesn't have wallpaper options
Can't change the keyboard

The listed above are the petty issues that I have. However, they really aren't a big deal. The metro UI is pretty good and as it's designed, there's little need to set wallpaper. They keyboard is pretty good too and so I personally haven't found a need to change it. As for the big issues for me however, read on

No real file manager (That allows readabilty to all [reasonable] directories)
Ringer and media share same volume
No OTG support
No HID profile
No MHL option

A file manager is pretty essential for me as I use my device for work. Some need it, others don't. That's a personal gripe. As far as the ring/media volume, I'm not sure what they were thinking. It's been stated that this will be resolved in 8.1. As far as USB OTG support...I feel like it shouldn't have been omitted considering the lack of HID profile for bluetooth (and vice versa). Being able to plug in a flash drive or a keyboard would have been nice. However, circling back to the lack of a file manager, a flash drive would be useless. In regards to the lack of HID, you'd think this would be essential considering these devices are hyped to have Office. Without HID, again we're missing support for wireless input peripherals. And in final, the MHL. I guess that's not super important with everything being DLNA supported now. Nokia has various in house options for this as well but what if you're ever in a situation where you need to connect to a projector or something to show off that snazzy spreadsheet for work? 6 inches only goes so far...

Anyway, I'm using the device so the issues can't be all that bad. It was just an adjustment for me that I'd like to see get resolved in future iterations of the OS. The hardware is already there. I honestly think that a lot of it is to keep the line between WP and RT well defined.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)