Want to switch back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10 but retain Surface authenticity

Mopr3me

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a question. I sent my Surface Pro 3 for repairs with W8.1 on it. I delibarately chose not to upgrade to Windows 10 because in my opinion, Windows 8.1 is the much better touch experience and more stable. However, I got my Surface back from repairs with Windows 10 installed on it and no recovery partition with Windows 8. I don't like this, I didn't give them the permission to do this.
I contacted Microsoft Support (great support btw.) and they told me that I have to download the Windows 8 recovery image and install Windows 8 though that.
My question is regarding this method of installation. Since this is a clean, vanilla Windows install, will it mess with my Surface authenticity? That means, will I loose the Surface boot logo? Touch drivers? Surface Pen drivers?

Your help is appreciated.

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I can't answer all. I reinstalled windows once on my acer aspire laptop and I didn't lose the boot logo. You probably lose your pen driver. (i don't sure) But without touch drivers your touch screen won't work. So they are probably safe. But most important Back up your drivers before you do anything

Mopr3me

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Dankjewel Arjan :)

I'll have to Google on how to backup drivers. I'll try to call Microsoft tomorrow regarding the pen/touch drivers. I just want my PPro 3 to be the way I bought it with Windows 8. 1 :(

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Just use the downloaded recovery image, you won't lose any authenticity. I just did it this weekend with no problem, and I couldn't be happier.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
are people doing this because of the battery life is superior? Or bceause of less bugs? by people, I mostly mean you :p
Personally I did for the following reasons:
  • Better battery life. Especially in connected standby. But also for general over all. Example: Yesterday was a light use day, starting with a full charge. Forgot to plug it in overnight, and this morning looked at the battery level and still had ~73% battery left. W10 it would have been below 25%, easily.
  • Bugs. I'm finding a lot less bugs and weird things with W8.1 vs. W10.
  • Ease of use. Especially in tablet mode, which oddly with my SP3 I'm in ~80% of the time now days. I used to be mainly in "Desktop" mode with the keyboard ready for use, but as I use my SP3 more and more, I tend to use more like a tablet computer for some reason.

The one thing I have realized that I'm missing the most from W10, is the better handwriting recognition. With W8.1 it's "Okay" with the handwriting keyboard, getting 50-60% of the words I write correct. W10 it was easily 85-95% for recognizing my atrocious handwriting.

P.S.
One other thing I just remembered. For some reason in W8.1 the battery charges faster than W10. Try to figure that one out!?!?!?!?!?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster