Wanting to switch from Android to Windows Phone

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Here's what's preventing me from switching currently.
Notification center - the ability to not only have glance able notifications that persist until you act on them is handy already, but now that you can actually reply right from the notification in the pane it's even better. LED.

Lag - I'm on a nexus 4, I don't get stutters any more than any other OS. YMMV

Music - ability to edit playlists without a PC hookup

Email - since all my accounts are gmail now I'll call this a tie. The gmail app is getting a refresh soon as well. It's an excellent app.

Google Services - Google +, Maps, Nav, universal search, Hangouts, gmail, calender, cloud all tightly integrated and sync near flawlessly.

Customized ringtone profiles

Developer support - I'm not going to talk about the app selection as that's been covered a million times. I'm speaking of future brand new apps that become hot items. Those hit iOS and Android first, and often no further.

Google Now - I use this almost every day. Freaking love this feature

Ability to close apps in the multitasking screen

Widgets - you can't paint all of these with the same brush of 2011 or earlier. Many of the more successful ones now have a much lighter memory and battery footprint and are incredibly functional as well as aesthetically attractive.

Having said all that, I'm still sitting in the sidelines quietly rooting for WP8 to grow. I do like the OS and style and I've always been a fan of MS and supported them over Apple even when it was fashionable to call them evil in the 90s.

All I'm currently doing now is watching and waiting for some of the above to improve because I would be willing to buy a windows phone even if it didn't meet every single item on my list above.

I was actually a former big cheerleader for blackberry in the months leading up to the launch of BB10 and was incredibly let down by how the reality has turned out. I'm not really surprised that windows phone appears to be doing better than them and I feel more confident they'll continue to evolve.

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So far the only things that I have noticed that detract from my S4
No notification LED
Camera can't take picture during video capture
Notification center sort of though I can see how I will soon forget about it
Nokia maps seem great, however a quick test I searched for verizon wireless and instead of finding the store near me it went like 40 miles away to like the Verizon Wireless amphitheater

Otherwise I can find everything I need on the app store and if its not there it has an alternative. The size is thicker and bigger bezel i didn't like the idea of but it makes it far easier to hold honestly. I really like how the camera will open from the button even when i have the screen off

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Currently only the HTC WPs have a notification LED. About the funky address routing, I would suggest updating Nokia maps if possible. Also apps that you frequently use that send you notifications can be configured to show up on the lock screen.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
@omniusovermind

Some good points made and i can see why people like yourself are still hesitating to jump ship for WP8. Lets cross our fingers that BLUE update is THE UPDATE and evolution everyone is hoping for. I love my WP, it suits all my needs as a user...but to consume a higher market share it needs to continue expanding. I dont think we will ever see some of the features you've mentioned on WP, not because MS wont allow them but Google is concerned about the user base leaving Android platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria