Was Edge really the right choice?

TheMiseryOfMe

May 29, 2014
Visit site
So w10 hasn't even been available to the public for a week and jokes are already becoming popular in how edge is just a front for IE. Was the name Edge and branding/logo really the right choice for this new browser that wants to distance itself from IE's checkered past?

This is one of the most popular I've seen so far:
ScreenShot_20150731172654.png

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
LOL! That joke is a bit cruel tho. But on a serious note, I was just reading the recent article on Edge on this site and I was honestly thinking the same. Was the name/logo really the right choice? Personally, I would have prefered something totally different and unrelated in any way. I mean, since they're really wanting to move away from IE. Like say.... Spartan!!! :-|

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Ppl will make fun.. No matter what.. And if its frm Microsoft they will surely.

Naming won't help.. They would term it as another IE. Like ppl term android 5.0 has Google's Vista (although vista was good to my opinion)

But this tym.. M disappointed :(
Edge is really not working well.. I guess its too early to release it .. Hope it doesn't tarnishes the image of W10.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
But IE is way better/faster/more fully featured than the beta Edge. I used to love the immersive IE but now I can't wait for Firefox Metro to come out. MS should not have cut down IE in W10. When Edge is ready they can remove it completely. Whilst Edge is still just in draft form why cripple the working browser? It now means MS has nothing ready to challenge the third party alternatives. Crazy stuff.

The name is fine though. It is very much on the edge of being a browser (and often falls off it), it is indeed a browser on the Edge.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
But IE is way better/faster/more fully featured than the beta Edge. I used to love the immersive IE but now I can't wait for Firefox Metro to come out. MS should not have cut down IE in W10. When Edge is ready they can remove it completely. Whilst Edge is still just in draft form why cripple the working browser? It now means MS has nothing ready to challenge the third party alternatives. Crazy stuff.

The name is fine though. It is very much on the edge of being a browser (and often falls off it), it is indeed a browser on the Edge.

I agree.. And they r betting on Edge for W10 to succeeed.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
My approach is likely to be to install W8 as a VM on each W10 pro machine I can but that won't work on a tablet with a tiny drive. I tried to get the old version of IE working under W10 (to replace the cut down version) but something is really mucking it up. I just can't get it to launch properly. Same with Media Centre. I wonder how many other packages often relied on are about that W10 just doesn't have the capability to get running? How is this an improvement? They ran under the more capable W8 with no trouble.

If they weren't locking out W8 from the new app store and DX12 I'd drop W10 and Edge in a heartbeat. If MS were really confident in W10 they would provide these for W8.1 (which still has years of 'new feature' level of support according to the MS timeline, which I paid for...). Clearly they are not, so they are using shonky tactics to strong arm people into getting 10.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte