WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's running fine so far. Battery life is a bit betterthan the G7, standby time is stellar. Makes me not understand why LG was so ****ty in calibration for its IPS panels.

This is really good to hear. Standby time is so important...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I do agree with him on many points if not all.

On this site we used to complain about reviewers all the time because they always bashed WP for no other reason than lack of apps and not liking the interface because it was, shock horror, different. Yes lack of apps was an issue but that shouldn't be the main reason to dislike a phone.

WP failed due to these reviews but MS and the competition (Google not bringing their apps over for example) also had a lot to do with it's downfall as well.

A lot of reviewers are biased for whatever reason (money may play some part). Some are better than others. But it seems to me these days if the phone isn't Apple, Samsung or Google it's considered second grade. Irregardless of how good the phone is.

That's pretty much where we are now in my view. It's partially why I don't want a Samsung, Pixel or iPhone (aside from price). I owned a WP because I wanted something different so I sort of carried that over when I stopped owning one.

Sure I look at and read reviews and I try to keep in mind the biases when doing so.

Picking a phone these days is a bit more difficult.

Well said and so true to your whole post. I can relate to you on wanting something different.

As silly as it might sound, iOS worked for me but internally I struggled because it seems like most people have it and the expectations (maybe this is in my mind, it probably is) that comes with having one.
Having the iPhone Xr felt the most different for me there but too big. Aside from size, the SE felt different enough as well.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Excuse me while I geek out for second.

This is a picture of Messier 87. What is Messier 87? It is a supper massive black hole. The first ever picture of a black hole and the verification of the science around black holes. This confirms the theory derived from Enstien's Theory of General Relativity.

It is 6.5 billion times more massive than our sun.

Though this confirms certain things about black holes this is of course the beginning of other questions. This is science of course.

black-hole.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

erm, looks like a blur photo of the top of an apple!! :grin:

Black holes never existed in my science class back then... I learned about it through Clarke, Asimov etc
Considering the improbably of ever getting a photo I thought they did well.

They are hoping to get the one in the center of the Milky Way but it's a lot smaller and faster swirling so it won't show much information.

Also they have plans to get better photos in the future.

From my understanding though this gives them some of the information they were after which is great for a first.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

In other news I got my renewed passport in 8 days. I'm more impressed by that than I should be. That's my Australian. I need to renew my Canadian but it's a bit more involved.

This weekend we're off to get my resident card for France.

Also, we're making plans for a trip in August to Scilly. My wife's birthday. Her choice. We had thoughts of going to India but decided we need more time for that. Also August isn't the best time for India, monsoon season.

For my birthday we may go to Lyon but I haven't decided yet. It's been on my list of places to go though, but I have had thoughts of going somewhere on the Med as well. Weather here lately hasn't been great so thoughts of sunshine and warmth are there.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Got my current collection down to three.
Gotta admit I am getting more and more intrigued by the LG G8.
Unless I get a stellar deal on a Mate 20 from my source I might go troll for one once the price is around $450 or so.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Considering the improbably of ever getting a photo I thought they did well.

They are hoping to get the one in the center of the Milky Way but it's a lot smaller and faster swirling so it won't show much information.

Also they have plans to get better photos in the future.

From my understanding though this gives them some of the information they were after which is great for a first.

We need to note that this is done using radio astronomy telecscopes and not the Hubble.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well said and so true to your whole post. I can relate to you on wanting something different.

As silly as it might sound, iOS worked for me but internally I struggled because it seems like most people have it and the expectations (maybe this is in my mind, it probably is) that comes with having one.
Having the iPhone Xr felt the most different for me there but too big. Aside from size, the SE felt different enough as well.
Better hope those rumors of the SE 2 in 2019 come true.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This is really good to hear. Standby time is so important...
G7 had solid standby time. LG just didn't optimize the software with the screen like they should have.

Having used the G7, the G8 isn't as much of an upgrade for me, to be honest. Camera is better, OLED screen is a push (the G7 has a very nice screen). I'm not seeing anything else. For those who didn't use a 2017 LG device, the G8 could be a nice get. Plus it'd be overpriced at launch.

But that's just me. I do like the V35 and G7. Just curious to see how 9.0 looks on it. And the more people who buy a G8, there's nothing wrong with that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Better hope those rumors of the SE 2 in 2019 come true.

Ha, I doubt it will happen. The S10e is a nice phone and it works for me. Unless the SE 2 would be somehow smaller than it, I'm okay with it being a rumor that doesn't come to fruition.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

G7 had solid standby time. LG just didn't optimize the software with the screen like they should have.

Having used the G7, the G8 isn't as much of an upgrade for me, to be honest. Camera is better, OLED screen is a push (the G7 has a very nice screen). I'm not seeing anything else. For those who didn't use a 2017 LG device, the G8 could be a nice get. Plus it'd be overpriced at launch.

But that's just me. I do like the V35 and G7. Just curious to see how 9.0 looks on it. And the more people who buy a G8, there's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah I can believe you on all of these points. For me, I see it as a sidegrade because updates (who knows but I'm assuming Google Fi will be an option again) and better connectivity are really important to you. Better connectivity should be important generally.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

We'll the wee scabby 400gm kitten has become a 1.2kg 4-5 month bag of energy. Twist, twirls, bite and claws... Due for a trip to the vet soon to get snipped-snipped!!

The mother cat hangs around the empty house next door. We could hear the sounds of new borns. Sure enough, she hid three small babies under the cupboard in our patio. Unfortunately, it's not a happy ending. A male cat came and took them away...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We'll the wee scabby 400gm kitten has become a 1.2kg 4-5 month bag of energy. Twist, twirls, bite and claws... Due for a trip to the vet soon to get snipped-snipped!!

The mother cat hangs around the empty house next door. We could hear the sounds of new borns. Sure enough, she hid three small babies under the cupboard in our patio. Unfortunately, it's not a happy ending. A male cat came and took them away...
That's sad... Ah nature... That's like what happens with lions...

Is there a way to trap the mother and her get fixed and maybe the male cat too?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

A few minor details:

The black hole, which is "unseeable" to the naked eye, measures 40 billion km across, or three million times the size of the Earth

It was scanned over a period of 10 days in the Messier 87 galaxy

It is "larger than the size of our entire Solar System", Prof Heino Falcke, of Radboud University in the Netherlands, who proposed the experiment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy