WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Surface line is really nice and continues to impress. If they retire that surface connector for USB based recharging, and add Thunderbolt 3, they'll be back in the mix for me. I understand it's got a Y cable, but I'd rather use one cable instead. Keys are nice to use though, for me different from that HP Envy but equal.

But man, them s are expensive! I do love that surface mouse though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Popped in the MSFT and I must say, that Lenovo 14" they had on sale was impressive. Port selection was good, screen was nice, keyboard was good and it didn't feel that large. The Envy 15" was nice too but I still feel like that Envy 13T is still in the lead.

It is ungodly expensive in the combination I want. I can compromise on internal storage, but 8GB RAM makes me claustrophobic. Sigh. I'll just have to keep waiting. I want something a little smaller, even if I have to give up a few ports for it.
Now, I could have stomached the 8GB RAM/256GB SSD, the i5 at $500 is good, but the i7 at $600 I saw in October was a bit better. I know that at $500, MSFT will move lots of those HP units.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Note 10 felt really good in hand. I wish it had a 3.5mm, but would be OK without one. I don't like the in hand feel of the S10 line and still think the S10+ is the best fit for the gf.

There both overpriced IMO. But hey, that's that.

I still want to check out the Xperia 5. I liked the 1 actually, but didn't want something that tall for the crazy places I have to go to.

Doesn't mean I plan to get any of these at all.
I love my S10+, which is something I never thought I'd say about a Samsung device. I previously never would've even considered anything from Samsung.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I love my S10+, which is something I never thought I'd say about a Samsung device. I previously never would've even considered anything from Samsung.
The S10+ is a very nice device and I can see why you like it.

For me I'm an in hand feel guy. I just don't like the in hand feel of the S10 line.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The S10+ is a very nice device and I can see why you like it.

For me I'm an in hand feel guy. I just don't like the in hand feel of the S10 line.
I didn't think I'd like a curved screen with almost no bezels, but it works well for me, and I'm using the gestures rather than the arrows on the screen. I'm not having issues with accidental touches. It's nice having almost the entire screen available for watching videos without excess width. I'm happy with a device that is narrower yet offers the same size screen.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Got a HP 15" with i7 10th Gen processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and a 4GB Nvidia Graphics card. It's a bit heavy at 4.6 lbs but it's a beast of a computer.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think I'd like a curved screen with almost no bezels, but it works well for me, and I'm using the gestures rather than the arrows on the screen. I'm not having issues with accidental touches. It's nice having almost the entire screen available for watching videos without excess width. I'm happy with a device that is narrower yet offers the same size screen.
The curve from the screen is much smaller on the Note 10 & S10 lines than what Huawei did with the Mate 20 Pro. The curve on the LGs are smaller than the S10 line to the point where it feels like a flat display - that's my favorite. The reason why the Mate isn't my driver are screen related - too curvy and I don't like how the screen looks (looks like early Android 10 builds break the Galaxy watches with Huawei, to which I'm very familiar with).

Outisde of visually how the punch hole looks - which you get adjusted to quickly - Samsung did a nice job on theor phones this year. Most likely the gf would turn off the gestures and keep it simple on the S10+. It's a very good phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Got a HP 15" with i7 10th Gen processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and a 4GB Nvidia Graphics card. It's a bit heavy at 4.6 lbs but it's a beast of a computer.
Looks like I may end up getting the Lenovo after all - i7 10th Gen, 16GB/512 SSD. It ain't as pretty as the HP, but it will do. I did enjoy typing on the thing in store, so I'll flow with it to see what happens.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The clerk was nice and uber helpful. I explained what I wanted and why - she didn't try to fight/up sell me a ton. She got a little too excited when she saw my credits and went straight for the Surface line. At least she chose the Surface laptop 2, which I had really liked.

They didn't have anymore in the store and there was no way I was going to use my full credits on a Surface 3.

The funniest part was when I showed her the Flex i7 Gen 10, said I wanted that instead of the i7 Gen 8 they had on the show floor. She handled it well. I did love the HP Envy though. It had the Flex beat on design, portability and I liked the screen a bit more (it's brighter and sharper). The keyboards are tied (HP had better travel, Lenovo the less cramped layout). Still, the config I wanted was way more expensive than the Lenovo. I still paid a bit more than I wanted, but that's OK I guess for future proofing.

In my limited testing, I came down to the Surface Laptop 2, HP Envy 13T and the Lenovo Flex 14 (6). MSFT had the favorite screen, HP had the best port selection and Lenovo the most cost effective storage combo for my tastes. Plus, it was second best for me in keyboard, weight (was third in screen and battery life though, but not that far behind the others).

Ultimately I was able to type on a broken in surface keyboard as I was setting up stuff in the store and I didn't like how it aged. That and the magnetic connector and it being too expensive for what I want to pay ruled it out. I didn't mind the AMD chips, but not at the price they wanted. I tried out the HP 360 15" and liked it, but the keyboard felt too cramped for me. The Envy was the right size but the cost for the combo I wanted was too much. So I now own a Lenovo.

1) Dell Inspron 8100
2) Asus 10 Ee PC
3) Asus T100
4) Lenovo Flex 14 (6)

That's the list of portable computers I've owned since age 18. And I have all of them still.

I have owned a Dell desktop and my barebone kit as the others. Point is I didn't want to get something I couldn't use for a long time.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The clerk was nice and uber helpful. I explained what I wanted and why - she didn't try to fight/up sell me a ton. She got a little too excited when she saw my credits and went straight for the Surface line. At least she chose the Surface laptop 2, which I had really liked.

They didn't have anymore in the store and there was no way I was going to use my full credits on a Surface 3.

The funniest part was when I showed her the Flex i7 Gen 10, said I wanted that instead of the i7 Gen 8 they had on the show floor. She handled it well. I did love the HP Envy though. It had the Flex beat on design, portability and I liked the screen a bit more (it's brighter and sharper). The keyboards are tied (HP had better travel, Lenovo the less cramped layout). Still, the config I wanted was way more expensive than the Lenovo. I still paid a bit more than I wanted, but that's OK I guess for future proofing.

In my limited testing, I came down to the Surface Laptop 2, HP Envy 13T and the Lenovo Flex 14 (6). MSFT had the favorite screen, HP had the best port selection and most cost effective storage combo for my tastes. Plus, it was second best for me in keyboard, weight (was third in screen and battery life though, but not that far behind the others).

Ultimately I was able to type on a broken in surface keyboard as I was setting up stuff in the store and I didn't like how it aged. That and the magnetic connector and it being too expensive for what I want to pay ruled it out. I didn't mind the AMD chips, but not at the price they wanted. I tried out the HP 360 15" and liked it, but the keyboard felt too cramped for me. The Envy was the right size but the cost for the combo I wanted was too much. So I now own a Lenovo.

1) Dell Inspron 8100
2) Asus 10 Ee PC
3) Asus T100
4) Lenovo Flex 14 (6)

That's the list of portable computers I've owned since age 18. And I have all of them still.

I have owned a Dell desktop and my barebone kit as the others. Point is I didn't want to get something I couldn't use for a long time.
Congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing about how it goes for you.

I'm amazed that you have all of your computers still. I only have 1 because its predecessors died due to a program I used to use that is hard on computers.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing about how it goes for you.

I'm amazed that you have all of your computers still. I only have 1 because its predecessors died due to a program I used to use that is hard on computers.
I threw out the Dell desktop and kept the hard drive. But the others I think are still in storage (I remember seeing them when I downsized two years ago) and the T100 I have with me. That will still get some use as the smaller back up.

I will likely set up the new business account with this computer. I won't keep much personal stuff on it. I had a different feel in buying this than any other computer. It was a more mature version of the feel I had when I bought the T100. Plus, I can add a pen to it I think for documents signature. But I don't think I'll do that.

#bettingonme.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I did cave and buy some stuff today that I have been eyeing but mainly beauty stuff and clothes. And of course, it was on sale, lol.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Started our packing. We haven't got too much to do here.

Weather is a bit miserable but I have to do some stuff outside.

Can't wait to get our of this house and not have to deal with these people anymore.

My wife and I have rented a lot of places and this is the first time we ever had issues like this. They are the most selfish people I've ever met and are just plain horrible.

We should have left after the first plumbing issue when it was apparent they were jerks.

As long as we get out of here and they stay honest (yeah hoping) it will be fine but my issue is I don't see it happening but like I said if they want a fight. Happy to oblige.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria