WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Went up the highlands for several days to chill. I guess my mountain hiking days are over, but I can still soak my feet in the waters
773a1822203e2838554eb8823f8e3492.jpg

Meanwhile, I got a foot spa by fishes!! They are wild, and they'll come for a nibble. Clean away the dead skin on my feet.
3a1fea2d19a4063a33599e4648580a61.jpg
Good thing they aren’t piranhas :evil:

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I had an extra ring doorbell cam that was gathering dust and was wondering what to do with it. Did not need another security can. Then it hit me, try putting it in the mailbox so I can check for mail from the comfort of my recliner. Was worry that the metal mailbox on the side of the road would block the wifi signal but surprising it did not. It sits in the back of the box held up with velcro and hard to see since it is solid black. Wonder if I could get it to say, you got mail, on alexa when the box is opened :)

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I was outside scraping the ice off the windshields this morning when was reminded of something that happened years ago. Back in 1982, I was discharged from the USAF after serving my time. The office I worked in gave me a going away party and I received two gifts. One was a box of Oatmeal Creme Little Debbies and the other was a pair of cheap working gloves you can find at most stores. After the party was over, one of the older civilian ladies who worked in the office came up to me and apologized for the gifts I was given. She was ashamed of them and though I was also a bit disappointed in the gifts too, I told her no problems.

But you know what, the Little Debbies came in handy on the long bus ride home, since I did not have a car at the time. And the gloves, I still have them and am currently wearing them scraping the ice off the windshield. I don't remember most of the going away gifts I have been given over the years but I will never forget those and must admit, in the end, I was and still am very thankful for them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, it's been a while for me. Work has been an absolute bear since midway last year, I don't know if it's a South Florida issue with the cost of living getting so high but there's an enormous labor shortage for skilled trades workers. Those of us still around are being ground into fine dust with no relief in sight. Anyhoo, I was able to find a few minutes of time to catch up on Windows goings on and saw an update for Windows 11 that finally allows Android apps and I couldn't resist. Major caveat: it's a watered down Amazon Appstore with a handful (literally) of apps and a bunch of games. But today I saw an article (actually it was a tutorial) outlining steps to sideload Android apps so my curiosity was piqued again. Long story short, I was able to get an Android app working perfectly on my Surface Pro X. The app in question is Procore which is a project management app used in the construction industry. Why? Well the Windows Store app was discontinued last year and you either used the web version which sucks or were relegated to an iPad or Android tablet. Typical Microsoft - one step forward and 10 steps backward with a 1-1/2 twist.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Another day, another ice storm. But this time we go lucky in my neck of the woods. The trees and grass look like a winter wonderland covered with ice but the roads are pretty clear.

I had an appointment in another town to get the windshield replace this morning because of the last ice storm. Did not know I had a pit in the windshield until it cracked all the way across. Was a bit worry about driving on the interstate and worry that the place would be closed but no issues with either., That is if you do not count the five cars in the ditch, with three of them totalled. On the way home, there was a truck jackknife in the other lanes. There was traffic backed up for miles - at least five miles. Glad I was going the other direction. I swear it was a trucker convoy because there were very few cars in that mess.

Got home and stayed home.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, it's been a while for me. Work has been an absolute bear since midway last year, I don't know if it's a South Florida issue with the cost of living getting so high but there's an enormous labor shortage for skilled trades workers. Those of us still around are being ground into fine dust with no relief in sight. Anyhoo, I was able to find a few minutes of time to catch up on Windows goings on and saw an update for Windows 11 that finally allows Android apps and I couldn't resist. Major caveat: it's a watered down Amazon Appstore with a handful (literally) of apps and a bunch of games. But today I saw an article (actually it was a tutorial) outlining steps to sideload Android apps so my curiosity was piqued again. Long story short, I was able to get an Android app working perfectly on my Surface Pro X. The app in question is Procore which is a project management app used in the construction industry. Why? Well the Windows Store app was discontinued last year and you either used the web version which sucks or were relegated to an iPad or Android tablet. Typical Microsoft - one step forward and 10 steps backward with a 1-1/2 twist.

Been following the whole Antiwork thing in US lately.
While the anarchist anti-work stance comes a bit off to me, the most backed up idea from the movement seemed more than legit. Bascially a living wage at least and normal work conditions.
What I'm trying to say here is, do you really think there's a labour shortage, or just a shortage of fair wages and work conditions?

I'm honestly curious. Because that's what we've had here for the past 5-10 years or so.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Haven't posted in a while myself.

School's been as good as it gets. All courses passed and a really good GPA.
As a matter of fact, I choose not to register a grade in one course, to have it a bit higher. So kind of greedy, but I want to work in a part of industry where grades do carry a sort of significance.

Hopefully I persist in this lol.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Other than that, no job yet. Haven't been hunting for one to be honest.

Was supposed to get a really, really good one 2 months ago, but nothing yet, still waiting.
I'll give it some more time since it's worth the wait (the money I'd get during a practice period, which is max 1 year, is 2 average wages in my country, not too shabby).

If nothing happens, I'll just move on. I'm still not in a desperate need of money, thankfully.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Been following the whole Antiwork thing in US lately.
While the anarchist anti-work stance comes a bit off to me, the most backed up idea from the movement seemed more than legit. Bascially a living wage at least and normal work conditions.
What I'm trying to say here is, do you really think there's a labour shortage, or just a shortage of fair wages and work conditions?

I'm honestly curious. Because that's what we've had here for the past 5-10 years or so.
I think it's a myriad of things but the biggest issue is the cost of living. Particularly the cost of domicile. Wages, for WHATEVER the reason, have been fairly stagnant for some time now but rents have skyrocketed and real estate is beyond insane. People are simply leaving the large metropolitan areas for cheaper housing elsewhere and it's leaving a huge void in the workplace. I don't know what role Covid-19 played in all this since I believe the problem was rearing its head prior to 2020.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I think it's a myriad of things but the biggest issue is the cost of living. Particularly the cost of domicile. Wages, for WHATEVER the reason, have been fairly stagnant for some time now but rents have skyrocketed and real estate is beyond insane. People are simply leaving the large metropolitan areas for cheaper housing elsewhere and it's leaving a huge void in the workplace. I don't know what role Covid-19 played in all this since I believe the problem was rearing its head prior to 2020.

As I've heard from someone already, the real big issues started years ago, but were just amplifed and sped up during covid times. I can agree with that.

I've seen comparisons of wages to real estate costs, from back in the 60s and now. Lol. Not even comparable. Not even in the same league.

Production has gone up, profits have gone up, inflation has gone up, wages kind of went up, but stopped following previously mentioned years ago.

We started having this problem some years prior to covid. Basically, there kind of is open job opportunities, but it's so bad that people choose rather to stay unemployed or, even more popular, just leave the country.

Imagine the shock on the rich. They're not willing to work for 10% of what they'd get in Germany? Trully shocking.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I have a co-worker who has a part time job at a bbq joint. That business wrote her a hot paycheck. She went to filed a police report but they told her it was a civil matter. I always wonder why it is a civil matter when a business rips you off but if you ripped off a business, it is criminal. Laws can be so unfair at times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte