We waited and Microsoft gave us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Seriously guys I have already accepted the fact that Microsoft has shortchanged us in the aspect of a well designed, thought provoking flagship but the Lumia 550 looks just like the flagships and maybe even slightly better just without the camera humps and flash setup. What the heck were they thinking not to use the McLaren body and give us these to showcase the future of Windows 10 Mobile on. I think the price will justify playing it safe however but the only thing that can save the disappointment for me is if at least one of these are available through T-Mobile. That has always been my disappointment when it comes to flagship phones from Nokia/Microsoft. Availability. The 16gb Lumia 925 was gorgeous but just as ridiculous as the 16gb iPhone 6s. I'll just have to wait and see.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
As has been proven, it's the insides that matter. Unless other OEMs and developers jump aboard, a beautiful looking metal phone isn't gonna impress anyone other than us windows phone fans. Also, there has been so many metal phones recently that it is not even cool anymore. It was cool when only Apple and then HTC did it. Also, with unibodies that wont even let you put removable battery or expandable storage, I'm glad we still have classy looking minimalist phones that rather have removable battery, extendable storage and Qi integrated not to mention better resistance to dents and/or cheap replacement of covers in case of accidental falls.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
As has been proven, it's the insides that matter. Unless other OEMs and developers jump aboard, a beautiful looking metal phone isn't gonna impress anyone other than us windows phone fans. Also, there has been so many metal phones recently that it is not even cool anymore. It was cool when only Apple and then HTC did it. Also, with unibodies that wont even let you put removable battery or expandable storage, I'm glad we still have classy looking minimalist phones that rather have removable battery, extendable storage and Qi integrated not to mention better resistance to dents and/or cheap replacement of covers in case of accidental falls.
I'm not upset by the materials at all. I'm upset that the Lumia 550 looks just as good and on par with the Lumia 950/950XL and none look better than previous flagships released. And Microsoft actually had time to come up with something great.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
This is basically what Microsoft has done. The top picture represents previous flagships. The bottom left represents the Lumia 550 while the bottom right represents the Lumia 950/950XL. Sure they are not ugly but not much different looking than the entry level model either.uploadfromtaptalk1443787664390.jpg

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the devices look pretty sweet when you look at the real photos instead of CAD renders.

If you're after lots of metal in a phone, Nokia/Microsoft is polycarbonate king. Which is not a bad thing as it bounces better and is lighter and doesn't interfere with radios.

Hold one in your hand, play with it and then tell me it's not a flagship.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its funny how the defenders have quickly converged on the word "metal" as the cornerstone of their argument even though the ire these phones are getting is not just because they lack any certain material but because they lack any kind of design flair at all.

But I digress: I think its time we all moved on, whatever our personal feelings these devices are what they will be releasing, time will tell if they will resonate with anyone outside the WP fan base or if we will all soon be looking back and reminiscing from either our new shiny iphone or android device at the demise of the platform, at which time all such discussions will be moot. :straight:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If people want a thin phone then the camera hump is just going to get bigger. There is a point where you can slim down the phone so much...beyond that it really doesn't make sense and becomes a hindrance to comfort. So you either have a slightly bulkier phone which will encase the camera bump and give us a larger battery or a thin phone with a large camera bump and a small battery.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand these discussions. People saying the iPhone 6s, Galaxy 6, Note 5, etc are all better looking. They all look like rectangles with screens to me. Even previous lumias. The only difference I see between my 1520 and the 950XL is rounded corners and rounded edges. Both of which I welcome. What is everyone looking for in these phones? There is only so much MSFT can do.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
If you're complaining about how the corners need to be more sharp, you're looking for a thin brick in your pocket. And I don't get why you want your corners a specific way. Do you need a spare cutting knife 50% of the time?

If you want metal, remember the removable shells. They're like a dev platform.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand these discussions. People saying the iPhone 6s, Galaxy 6, Note 5, etc are all better looking. They all look like rectangles with screens to me. Even previous lumias. The only difference I see between my 1520 and the 950XL is rounded corners and rounded edges. Both of which I welcome. What is everyone looking for in these phones? There is only so much MSFT can do.

They could've given us something that looks like the 920, 925, 1520 or the 930. They had a lot of choices. For some odd reason they choose the 640 complete with cheapy on screen buttons and less color options.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If people want a thin phone then the camera hump is just going to get bigger. There is a point where you can slim down the phone so much...beyond that it really doesn't make sense and becomes a hindrance to comfort. So you either have a slightly bulkier phone which will encase the camera bump and give us a larger battery or a thin phone with a large camera bump and a small battery.

Nothing wrong with a little muffin top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05