What could it be called?

N Stanfield Roberts

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well we've had a lot of leaks recently about Threshold/Win9 (sept 30th release date etc.) and lots of people have been questioning what it will be called - the answer being widely accepted as Windows 9.

But given that Microsoft are trying their best to unify all their operating systems (Phone, RT, Win8) I feel there may be a hilarious/simple solution...

Windows One (yes everything is called One at the moment..) - Where the start screen/metro interface shows its face less and less as you transition from Phone to Desktop:

One for Phone - all tiles - focus on small media consumption and constant connectivity
One for Tablets - all tiles - mainly for media, but with minor work functionality
One for Hybrids - desktop+full screen start menu - split as much as it can be, dependant on hardware (just touch=tiles, keyboard+mouse=dekstop), gives the user the choice at every level as to how they interact with their device
One for Desktop - ...desktop... - focus on productivity and power, functions like Win7 but with the Win8 design language, the new start menu that we've seen with all the bells and whistles (almost)everyone wants

All fit under the same umbrella and all, but all different in their own little ways. Mainly I was thinkning about this because I can imagine the conversation:
*someone grabs phone/tablet/hybrid/dektop*
'what OS does it run?' they ask the shop attendant
'Oh, the phone/tablet/hybrid/dektop one'

I feel like it would be simple...if not comically so..

*Edit - I've managed to make two of this thread...sorry..*

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
In response to your question, it might be called: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" :winktongue:

Well they may simply just call it "Windows" and be done with it :grin:.

Okay joking aside, I don't see them following the "one" moniker, Windows Phone One.. just doesn't sound right.

Also they are merging WP and RT together, given their confusing naming convention for the Surface RT.

I am hoping it something less befuddling for your average consumer, but I am not holding my breath as they have already started saying "it runs windows", in windows phone commercials i.e the Lumia 930 commercial.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I suggested "Windows One" a while back myself. I think it's a great idea for the new name!

Definitely not feelin "Windows 9" :p

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally find One to be overused and trite nowadays.

Windows 9 is the safe name.
Windows something-not-a-number-like-Vista is another potential one

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I personally find One to be overused and trite nowadays.

Windows 9 is the safe name.
Windows something-not-a-number-like-Vista is another potential one

Maybe Windows Carneros? :grin:

Los Carneros is where the iconic landscape in the "bliss" wallpaper in XP was photographed by Charles O'Rear.

Edit:
According to Bing translator Carneros means Rams in Spanish, maybe that name is not a good idea... can see it now "rams" being used as a derogatory term by ios and android fanatics to describe windows users lol.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the "One" name definitely fits their vision as One Microsoft, and would show how they are unifying Windows Phone and Windows for computers, tablets, etc. but it also might confuse people because now you have Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows One. So the numbering would throw some people off.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Windows Uno.

jk. I think Windows One would be great. However, the average consumer is pretty dumb and would be confused by the numbering... Windows 7, 8, 8.1, then One?

Also, what would come after One? 10? One point One? Two?

Personally I think Microsoft needs to stop completely with numeric values and use names that stick with consumers. Lumia 12345 isn't a memorable, easy, and attractive name, imho. When they make an advertisement for a Lumia, it would be easier to associate a name with the device rather than a number (unless you're familiar with the way Lumia devices are numbered, which most non-WP people won't be).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99