What do you love/hate about the Surface Book 2 so far?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I've had the 15" for about two weeks now. I got it from the Amazon Vine program to review. It's definitely the best laptop I've ever owned. It's really amped up my creativity and I draw for hours daily with it. It's powerful enough for AAA gaming. (which I don't really do due to storage)

That's not to say it's perfect, though.

-I don't like how the GPU spins up on certain web browsing tasks. For some reason, when downloading files in Opera, the GPU is activated and the fans spin pretty loudly. This is unusual because the fans generally are silent and do a great job of cooling.

-I find the Surface Pen difficult not to grip tightly, which ends up straining my hand after drawing for a few hours. I'm ordering some jelly pencil holders to try and ameliorate this.

-I think 256gb of storage for $2500 is insane. It should have shipped with 512gb minimum.

-It doesn't have a control key on the right side of the keyboard. It also inverts the function keys with the shortcuts - I generally use F2 quite a bit to rename files, and now I have to press Fn-F2. Speaking of the function keys, it doesn't have a dedicated key for turning off the display.

I'm a Vine reviewer as well. Their algorithms for what they give you to choose from to review are quite interesting. I have nothing but bra's and socks right now but may end up with a cool tech device the next day.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm a Vine reviewer as well. Their algorithms for what they give you to choose from to review are quite interesting. I have nothing but bra's and socks right now but may end up with a cool tech device the next day.

And a DS9 fan?

I can't pretend to know how the algorithm works, but I will say, when I see something in a "high value" category like laptops or phones, I will grab it, and in my experience, that leads to being offered more of the same in the future. Case in point: the half dozen projectors I've reviewed, three laptops now, and two phones.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
And a DS9 fan?

I can't pretend to know how the algorithm works, but I will say, when I see something in a "high value" category like laptops or phones, I will grab it, and in my experience, that leads to being offered more of the same in the future. Case in point: the half dozen projectors I've reviewed, three laptops now, and two phones.

Yep...love DS9 and Babylon 5 even more.

Not to derail this thread, but yeah, it is odd on the things I get offered. The last laptops I got to review were an AlienWare and an Acer Alpha Switch 12 and that's been it the past 2-3 years. Just so weird.

I am really trying to decide of the Surface Book with the 1050 or the 1060. Screen size isn't as important as storage but I believe I could live with the 256 now that OneDrive Placeholders are back.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Yep...love DS9 and Babylon 5 even more.

Not to derail this thread, but yeah, it is odd on the things I get offered. The last laptops I got to review were an AlienWare and an Acer Alpha Switch 12 and that's been it the past 2-3 years. Just so weird.

I am really trying to decide of the Surface Book with the 1050 or the 1060. Screen size isn't as important as storage but I believe I could live with the 256 now that OneDrive Placeholders are back.

I got the Acer Switch Alpha 12, too! Love it. My other laptop was an Acer Predator Helios 300. Like it.

I'd say go for the 15". From a power standpoint (e.g. the 1060 and the 8th gen Core i7), it's much more future proof.

FangerZero

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I was finally able to get a Surface Book 2 15" 1TB. And so far my least favorite thing is the lack of cable management. It would've been nice if the cord just had a rubber clasp or something to manage the wires when in my bag or when the outlet is pretty much right next to the computer. And then the Price, when I take it places I always worry I'm going to have an accident.

My favorite thing about the Surface Book 2, is the Surface Book 2. I love the ability to easily edit photos and not worry about oh I accidentally moved the mouse to far. I love that it's light, powerful, and small enough to take anywhere and everywhere. I love that the screen detaches so I can watch movies in bed or on the couch. So far the only thing I haven't really used was the Surface Pen, and after Christmas I most certainly plan to get one, maybe even a dial to help with some of my photo editing that I do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos