What do you think of Apple's "new" 3D Touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jancouver

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
i watched the keynote last night via the Edge Browser and i am not surprise that they will implement the "Force Touch" into their new iphone because this has been rumored few weeks now, and now it's called now "3D Touch". I was shocked with the term and i remembered the cancelled McLaren Lumia Phone but the concepts are somehow different. Kinda remind me more of the "Mix View" in which also has been long-timed rumored. If Mix view were to be implemented, they were basically the same. So what can you tell about it? I was waiting so long for MS to do this kind of thing. I am still hopeful to see this on my new lumia or a surface mobile/phone when it come.

JDThird

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I like the options it has. It will be an interesting changeover even for current IOS users to get used to the new interaction with the interface and the options it gives. Windows phone could really take advantage of something like this.

And unfortunately I'm likely going to have to ditch my Lumia Icon and get the iPhone 6s. I've had the Icon since it's (many times delayed) launch, and it was what pulled me away from my iPhone stretch of years... I hate IOS and the static icons for everything, I love live tiles, but after all this time, the apps I really would use, my security system, home automation stuff, smart LED's, thermostat, none of these get any love on the Windows mobile platform, and it's just killing me. So I'll have to settle for a less than usable interface to get actual use out of my phone again as more than just a phone...

And I found it ironic that on my Thinkpad Yoga tablet running Windows 10, I could watch that presentation with the Edge browser but not Safari...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that Microsoft dropped the idea because it was difficult for users to use without being careful in their finger placement. I saw the leaked video demonstrating the feature and it looked nasty and cumbersome. I think that Apple have implemented it simply because they can. I'm not sure it'll get used much by users who are already used to either touching or talking to their phones (in the same way as we are).

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of technological advancement, but I have concerns about reliability. How accurate are the depth sensors after a few falls face down like iUsers always seem to keep doing? What happens when the screen is cracked? Apple likely doesn't care because they want to sell you the warranty package. I would rather see an unbreakable screen than a force touch one. Even a diehard android or WP fan would consider an iPhone with an unbreakable screen and body, just look at the popularity of goPro all of a sudden. Force touch on the other hand, yawn...

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually think it'd be useful given iOS lacks the context menus like on Windows. I can see people using it on a daily basis. The question is practicality - what if you have a glass screen protector on it? Will you actually dent the display from (regularly) force touching too hard?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Just remember, there is nothing "new", "revolutionary", or "magical" there! Its just right clicking on your mouse. Another thing apple touted as useless just a short time ago. There is no 3d to it, its just bringing up menus with long touches.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6S, it works perfectly as advertised. The app support is currently very limited(mostly to Apple apps). Hopefully Google apps get updated to support it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster