What do you think pressing Volume UP + Volume DOWN 3 times really does?

alb3530

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
If you press Volume UP + Volume DOWN 3 times, the screen of your device will flash in black.

If done In the phone, it will vibrate 3 times before the flashing;
If done in PC, the opened windows will be rearranged to completely appear in the screen, just like when you change resolution.The mouse pointer will also be centered.

Before:
before.png

After:
after.png

For PC, it can bring back windows or dialogs that might be placed out of the screen.

For phone, I didn't find something useful for that yet.

Gabriel Aul was already questioned, but it seems he didn't get the point yet...

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/635323145428140032

Source:
Windows 10 has a mysterious button combo (video) - WMPoweruser

Best regards

Last edited:

swizzlerz

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that my system idle process goes form around 65 to 80% ish. and I have one game open at the time that goes from 17% cpu to 0. and then comes back and settles at 17 again. I am wondering if it is a refresh of the cpu processes?? It happens on my tablet and desktop and lumia.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Funny, we had a user find it out last week the phone did this and now everyone's all curious :).

From the looks of what alb found it might just be a display reset. The beep on the surface or 3 vibrations on the phone are probably a non-visual feedback in case there are display problems.

If I ever get an app stuck off-screen again I'll give this a try.

If anyone has a Surface doc setup with multiple monitors I'm curious to know what will happen.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Come on people, don't be naive..
It's obvious that our pcs/ phones have some kind of conversation with aliens if you press this button combination!

Mathew K Jose

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
On my phone, the screen blinks [Build 10166]. On my PC, the volume goes up or down [Build 10525].

same here on my L730 with build 10166..3 vibrations and single screen flash...
and if we do it when phone is locked,only three vibrations and no screen flashes.Have u guys tried it in lock state? :smile:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
..............I KNEW it ....IT'S TRUE.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now look, I don't know how many times I have to tell you people, it's weather balloons, right? WEATHER. BALLOONS.

(Heh, I have actually had to formally report on such stuff for work. Just call me Mulder...).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4