What happened in the end August update???

Crandally

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
My first post! I don't know what was included in the latest update but my phone is going a little crazy just now.
1. All my predictive text got wiped - I had just got to the stage where my phone was recognising my name, address, etc and lots of my frequently used personal things were there. All gone and some of the new suggestions are just plain stupid. How far into the word 'something' do you need to type before predictive text guesses what word you mean? Apparently right to the very end!!

2. My emails suddenly started making a strange notification noise when I have it set to no sound and I've had to change it to the quietest sound I can find just to stop the long, loud, annoying sound that my phone suddenly decided to use.

3. I no longer have a battery icon on lock screen when my phone is charging so last night when I thought my phone was charging overnight on its little wireless base, turns out it wasn't. I would have been able to see this at a glance before.

4. My instagram app also appears to have given up the ghost - I know this is separate from the phone but coming on top of the other issues, it's annoying.

I do have new emojis, and the random restarts appear to have gone so that's something positive.

I was excited to get the 950 (this will be my third Lumia) but I have to say I'm not loving it as much as I loved my 930. I live in an ios and android house, so this is the only place I can confess this guilty secret... :wink:

Thanks for the chance to rant about relatively minor (but incredibly annoying) issues :smile:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
after the update, did you do a factory reset? That can explain the predictive text going missing - but just in case, check in settings whether it's still on and set to get to know you

I've seen another user report on issue number 3, it does look like it was removed

You've checked for both app and OS updates as a first step?

Try reinstalling the app or try 6tag as an alternative instagram app

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
If you've come from 8.1 to 10, then you'll notice the swipe/wordflow keyboard is just crap compared to what you had before. No one so far has come out with an explanation for this, some people say it has to learn all over again, but this is BS, the wordflow keyboard on 8.1 just worked straight away without any learning, pretty much how these type of keyboards work on Android. Wordflow on W10M is simply no where near as good.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
If you've come from 8.1 to 10, then you'll notice the swipe/wordflow keyboard is just crap compared to what you had before. No one so far has come out with an explanation for this, some people say it has to learn all over again, but this is BS, the wordflow keyboard on 8.1 just worked straight away without any learning, pretty much how these type of keyboards work on Android. Wordflow on W10M is simply no where near as good.

the issue in my opinion is the cursor they added -I think it messed up the touch zones for the letters

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
the issue in my opinion is the cursor they added -I think it messed up the touch zones for the letters

That may be part of the problem, but I think there are other factors too. If it was just touch zones, they would have fixed this before releasing the AU. My guess is that they didn't want to pay a license fee for the underlying technology (or had a license that would only allow its use on 8/8.1), and so had to start from scratch and develop their own version for later versions of Windows. I'd happily pay for a better/working third-party keyboard like Swype or something similar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs