What have you done today to promote Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile?

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
What have you done today to promote Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile?

I used my L925 with an old version of W10M (10.0.10586.164) on it.

Debating how long to stick with my almost 3yo phone and what my next phone will be. I have even considered dropping out of the smartphone game and going back to a feature phone with a physical dial pad. For real.

(apart from quitting the smartphone game)I've done this severally too using my L920. I tell them I've had every upgrade that came to WP OS since WP8.0 without changing my almost 4 years old phone. Also on .164 but will be updating to yesterday's build by next week.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Also, I take pics with my L920 in low light and share on large screens showing them how clear and visible the objects are even in low light conditions.

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I just showed my wife indirectly how some things are better on W10 Mobile than on her iPhone.
Just messing about on the Truecaller app on her iPhone, noticed how it can't even show live caller ID? Next, I was showing her the voice recording on my 950Xl - really simple to use. For the life of me though, I couldn't easily figure out how to do this on the iPhone 6 or if it's even possible without some third party hack?

Last edited by a moderator:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Every time someone asks me to repair their broken iPhone screen I make sure they know that for a mere $30, a fraction of what it will cost to replace that one part, they could have an entirely new phone that in my not so humble opinion works better and is easier to use. If they seem interested, I'll give them a demo of continuum.

I saw a deal on this site yesterday for a battery for the Lumia 640 for $20...Normally, the battery costs potentially more than the entire phone. Such crazy times we live in.

Also, if you are demoing continuum on a $30 Windows Phone, there must be some bait and switch going on.

Lagur

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I always leave my phone open in the table idle at start screen during office lunch and we sometimes end up talking about w10m.

Cant get enough of customizing my w10m start screen and it changes everyday lol

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I just showed my wife indirectly how some things are better on W10 Mobile than on her iPhone.
Just messing about on the Truecaller app on her iPhone, noticed how it can't even show live caller ID? Next, I was showing her the voice recording on my 950Xl - really simple to use. For the life of me though, I couldn't easily figure out how to do this on the iPhone 6 or if it's even possible without some third party hack?

I know you WP aren't use to this concept, but non Windows phone user can download 1 of 4000 different voice recorders from any Vendor.
OR, you can use use the Apple voice recording app Natively installed on the phone in the "extras" folder.
I think that is 90% of the reason WP user "hate" apple and iPhone, they can't figure out the basics of the phone. They don't want to learn how to use a new OS. or they have some ignorant "company hatred" thing going on. Like MS gives a flying Elf about you. loyalty to any company, unless you work there, is ignorant. MS, Apple, Google etc don't care about a single one of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I have started learning programming and made a universal app 'Strawberry Weather'..! And will continue to make more apps. It's my way to promote Windows!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that is 90% of the reason WP user "hate" apple and iPhone, they can't figure out the basics of the phone. They don't want to learn how to use a new OS.

I see this all the time on every platform. Users banging their head against the wall because they can't make the new OS behave like the old. This goes across all platforms for many users who try something different.

They are called normal users and they show up in all the forums to ask "how" to do stuff. We get them here. "On my Android it was like..." "On my iPhone I could..." "My BB used to..." "When I had a Symbian phone it would just..." I've seen it across every MoNa site.

It's not exclusive to Windows Phone users trying something else by any stretch of the imagination. People have a tendency to become set in their habits. Most who pick up a new platform have an adjustment to make. Some make it, some are too ingrained or under motivated to do the research. Hate sometimes enters into it, but not as often as the inter platform rivalry cheerleaders would have you believe.

I had an iPhone and used it as a daily driver. I figured out everything I needed to know to make it run as I liked. I molded my behavior to fit the OS, not trying to bash the OS into fitting my habits. It still wasn't for me. iOS doesn't fit my usage paradigm. Hate has nothing to do with it.

I've used feature phones, Android, webOS, iOS Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, Symbian, Sailfish, Windows Phone. In my arsenal right now I have Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows RT, Android and Firefox OS. These are devices I can pick up and start using in a moment. I taught myself to adapt to the platform I'm looking at. Not every user does that, learns that trick. I've been around a few forums and interacted with users who are having a hard time making a go of it.

Please don't confuse frustration and needing guidance with hate...

Last edited:

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I know you WP aren't use to this concept, but non Windows phone user can download 1 of 4000 different voice recorders from any Vendor.
OR, you can use use the Apple voice recording app Natively installed on the phone in the "extras" folder.
I think that is 90% of the reason WP user "hate" apple and iPhone, they can't figure out the basics of the phone. They don't want to learn how to use a new OS. or they have some ignorant "company hatred" thing going on. Like MS gives a flying Elf about you. loyalty to any company, unless you work there, is ignorant. MS, Apple, Google etc don't care about a single one of you.

I think you are missing my point, I'm stating that my wife, a user of iOS since iPhone 4, couldn't find out how to record a phonecall. I didn't spend enough time on it to download any extra apps or whatever.

iPhone for sure is better in other areas and features, but call recording isn't it. On W10 Mobile, it's just a button that appears when in a call - this is what impressed her and something I used to promote W10 Mobile according to this topic.

Truecaller is another example where iOS is lacking due to restrictions in its OS that does not allow it to show live caller ID.

I have Android phones, Windows Phones, Amazon Fire tablets by the way, not some blind ****** oblivious to features that are better on other OS as some have to assume on here when somebody promotes Windows.

Last edited:

parkaerin

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Use it when out with friends and just let them see how quick and easy texting is on a Windows Mobile. They're always amazed by how different it is. Keep updated with builds.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Frankly, it is silly to be an evangelist for any software or hardware or manufacturer unless you work for the company and your living depends on it. This is not a religion. Being a Microsofty is no different than being an iSheep or a Gaggler. None of your promotion is going to make one whit of difference in the big picture, unless by some chance you have a high enough profile. Personally, I use what works best for me and I recommend to others what I think works best for them. My family and friends are totally agnostic on technology. In my household we run everything from the latest Mac laptop to Windows 10 on a desktop to Ubuntu on an old desktop to various flavors of older Windows on some laptops and various flavors of Linux on other laptops along with a Kindle, and we have Windows phones, iPhones, and Android phones and some of us use more than one system at the same time. About the only thing we don't use right now is a table since my wife broke hers running W8. We're debating between a Windows, an Android, or an iPad tablet.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Frankly, it is silly to be an evangelist for any software or hardware or manufacturer unless you work for the company and your living depends on it. This is not a religion. Being a Microsofty is no different than being an iSheep or a Gaggler. None of your promotion is going to make one whit of difference in the big picture, unless by some chance you have a high enough profile. Personally, I use what works best for me and I recommend to others what I think works best for them. My family and friends are totally agnostic on technology. In my household we run everything from the latest Mac laptop to Windows 10 on a desktop to Ubuntu on an old desktop to various flavors of older Windows on some laptops and various flavors of Linux on other laptops along with a Kindle, and we have Windows phones, iPhones, and Android phones and some of us use more than one system at the same time. About the only thing we don't use right now is a table since my wife broke hers running W8. We're debating between a Windows, an Android, or an iPad tablet.

MS needs to advertise 950 and 950XL. TV commercials, what a concept...

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Years ago when I was younger, had energy, and an active hate of all things iPhone, I would tell everyone. Now really I could not care what others use for a phone, and I will not go out of my way to try and push Windows Phone. However I have found if you quietly change visuals on people they take note and ask questions.
With my Nokia 1020 it used to be the Camera bump on the Yellow body of the phone that got questions the most. Now it's people who see me often with my Lumia 640 XL as I change the case every so often so the color changes......I often hear..."I thought your phone was white" when I switch to the cyan back with cover.
I also get a lot of questions if I am sitting having coffee at Timmies using my pen on my phone and my tablet, I think it's the contrast of silver pen and white devices. Add in the sounds of Hearthstone from the tablet and people will ask.

IMG_0066.JPG

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I had prepared a 50 plus-slide PowerPoint presentation on WP for a seminar which I had to conduct in the CS class in my college. Many of my classmates were impressed, particularly by Cortana (I had included some Cortana vs Siri videos :wink: ), after the presentation and some even said they'll consider WP while buying a new phone. One of those owns a Lumia 730 now :smile: When I had bought my Lumia 830, my friends used to ask whether I liked photography as they thought Nokia==Photography. Whenever me and my friends go for outings, my phone is mostly preferred for clicking pictures.

When people see my Lumia 830, they compliment its looks and ask about its specs. But I have to tell them that it's no more available in the market.

All this made me realize that people don't consider WPs because they believe WP is dead and has no scope for revival.

PS:- My friend, who has a Lumia 730 (mentioned earlier), was still on WP8.1 until he asked me to introduce W10M to him. I walked him through the various changes W10M has over WP8.1. After that he said he'll upgrade to W10M soon.

chawed wedder

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
told a frend to have patience and not to move to another platform. win 10 mobile needs some time to grow. is getting better after every update on our lumia 640's.

etachyon

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
first.. i bought a windows phone.. that made few of my mates buy windows phone.. only one or two use it now anyways..
still not recommending windows 10 mobile to my friends.. seeing things happening last few days.. might as well.. :)

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
First of all its just a mobile platform. When microsoft's own software division poured more resources into competitive platforms they told that they were a software company and its about profits at the end of the day. Well people should too rather than sticking to one platform people should be able to decide on what is better. If they dont like whats being offered they should choose not to rather than to the whims of the others. After all every damn OEMs are after our pockets not our hearts.

Coming back to the topic, I did vouch for windows phone and most of the broken promises in wp days. But right now the best thing I could do for wp is to not talk of it and wait for ms to pull something off. By my experience and that of many others the early adopters had the worst experience with microsoft's mobile platform. Atleast some people who hadnt gone through that, will believe in ms, when the os actually matures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124