What is holding back Windows Phone Adoption?

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The reason for this thread is to have some data from you guys, the reader of this thread. I am planning to make a review and comparison video of Windows 10 for Phones and Windows Phone 8.1 in terms of the UI design and I need prove the point of Windows Phone UI is good enough and don't fix what is not broken.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
1. Yes.
​2. There isn't a big one. But there is a perception there is huge one, and that's the issue.
​3. Sadly, yes. Too many people haven't ditched Google yet.
​4. Yes. On the accessories and form-factor front.
​5. Bingo.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Choice number 1 is probably the dumbest misconception out there. If a weird or awkward UI was such a deal breaker then Android would've died long ago. The saddest part is that even MS bought into it and is further watering down their own OS to be as uninteresting as possible

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Choice number 1 is probably the dumbest misconception out there. If a weird or awkward UI was such a deal breaker then Android would've died long ago. The saddest part is that even MS bought into it and is further watering down their own OS to be as uninteresting as possible
Come to think of it, the first few version of Android is made in a such a way that it is almost a carbon copy of the iOS design language, even down to the icons and stuff, no wonder Steve Jobs once said he wanted to destroy Android thermonuclear style. Remember those lawsuits especially Apple and Samsung? It sad to think Microsoft actually comes into a conclusion users especially those from Android/iOS camps doesn't want to switch to Windows Phone because it doesn't look like the UI they had accustomed with e.g. hamburger menu, circle profile pictures, icon driven interface. Heck, if this continued, Microsoft would made live tiles into circles of varying sizes because square and sharp corners doesn't cut anymore.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Oh. The thread has changed to a poll. So my earlier comment makes no sense. Never mind.

Anyways, there's some other issues that aren't specifically included in the new poll. Some are also my pet MS hates:

No flagship for ages.
No flagship announced.
No Band outside US.
No halo-effect device or service.
No Cortana outside US and a couple of other territories.
No Bing rewards outside US.
Xbox Music. It's just a train wreck.
Pace of OS updates is comparatively slow.
Mobile browsing experience is poor.
No support for smartwatch notifications.
No QWERTY slider. You know you want one.
Confusion over brand names Microsoft/Lumia/Nokia. Only to get worse if Nokia exercise their handset branding option next year.
No NFC payment.
No positive articles on tech sites by "journalists" that actually understand technology.
I'm sure some folk will chime in with Snapchat, USB OTG, BofA etc.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
its not one reason its multiple reasons but few OEMs isn't one of those reasons

1 - modern v1 was an issue lacking features and the basic look of it < they solve this with windows 10 modern v2 apps now looks 10 times better than windows phone 8.1 apps
2 - store apps < they are trying to solve this with universal apps
3 - advertisement
4- they used to announce phones then release it after months of waiting any interest in the phone will be lost because of the waiting

also for the high end they should focus their resources on two categories only 1020, 1520 successors

Last edited:

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
modern v1 was an issue lacking features and the basic look of it

I beg your pardon but Modern UI (or Metro UI when its first called in 2010), is what brings me to the Windows Phone platform in the first place, despite being questioned and ridiculed by my friends and family who uses Android or iOS.

I felt iOS and Android bores me very quickly with its icon-driven interface and the overall skeuomorphic interface back in the days. Modern/Metro UI however, despite being basic, but at least it made the overall UX more alive compared to the dead icons and text in Android or iOS. Sadly, Microsoft is killing off the unique UI for the sake of gaining marketshare and users from those respective platforms.

IMO, the UI is the centre stage of a phone OS, apps aside, it gives the OS its character and charm and set itself apart from the competition. Windows Phone and WebOS are the those pioneers, unfortunately, being unique doesn't seem to translate well to usability I admit.

I hope it is not too long or you won't read it, but once I manage to get my hands on a Windows 10 for Phones build, I will make a detail review of Microsoft's Android-ish UI direction.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I beg your pardon but Modern UI (or Metro UI when its first called in 2010), is what brings me to the Windows Phone platform in the first place, despite being questioned and ridiculed by my friends and family who uses Android or iOS.

I felt iOS and Android bores me very quickly with its icon-driven interface and the overall skeuomorphic interface back in the days. Modern/Metro UI however, despite being basic, but at least it made the overall UX more alive compared to the dead icons and text in Android or iOS. Sadly, Microsoft is killing off the unique UI for the sake of gaining marketshare and users from those respective platforms.

IMO, the UI is the centre stage of a phone OS, apps aside, it gives the OS its character and charm and set itself apart from the competition. Windows Phone and WebOS are the those pioneers, unfortunately, being unique doesn't seem to translate well to usability I admit.

I hope it is not too long or you won't read it, but once I manage to get my hands on a Windows 10 for Phones build, I will make a detail review of Microsoft's Android-ish UI direction.

I really don't think anything could be called an "Android-ish UI". Android has so many custom skins/launchers from OEMs. Also, a user of vanilla Android could use something like Nova Launcher to customize the UI.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'd prefer a review where the author hadn't already decided the conclusion they wanted to reach.
That's the problem a lot of the tech writers have. They want to hate WinPhone (or have their iOS/Android too far up their ****) that they write "reviews" once they've decided on a negative, click-bait title.​

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

how many people like you and me did Microsoft gain the last 4 years 3 - 4 % globally ? is that enough to continue having the same UI for the next version of windows ? you said it your self you were ridiculed by your family and friends for having windows phone clearly they didn't like it. if killing it and releasing something familiar to the majority of smartphones users will make them gain more market share im all of it that's the whole point of releasing smartphone OS gaining market share and having people use their services so they can make money.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Two words to explain why Windows Phone has not been widely accepted...

1. Microsoft
2. Windows

Both words are tainted by their past performance. Microsoft the bullying, destructive, monopoly; Windows the bloated, insecure, malware-soaked OS.

Who would want that on their phone?!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
See comments below.

No flagship for ages. Current flagships are still good enough
No flagship announced. Yes they have, coming with Windows 10
No Band outside US. Yes there is. Mine is being delivered here in the UK in two weeks
No halo-effect device or service. We know this is still in development
No Cortana outside US and a couple of other territories. Yes there is, but still being developed (admittedly slower outside the US
No Bing rewards outside US. Agreed, but I don't miss what I don't have
Xbox Music. It's just a train wreck. I use an iPod for music, so shoot me
Pace of OS updates is comparatively slow. Will be quicker with Windows 10, no longer a valid argument
Mobile browsing experience is poor. SPARTAN!!!
No support for smartwatch notifications. Yet
No QWERTY slider. You know you want one. you're on your own there
Confusion over brand names Microsoft/Lumia/Nokia. Only to get worse if Nokia exercise their handset branding option next year. Handset branding/numbering will improve, confusing numbers are a thing of the past
No NFC payment. Is coming
No positive articles on tech sites by "journalists" that actually understand technology. I'll give you that, many journalists would rather follow then lead
I'm sure some folk will chime in with Snapchat, USB OTG, BofA etc.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd prefer a review where the author hadn't already decided the conclusion they wanted to reach.
That's the problem a lot of the tech writers have. They want to hate WinPhone (or have their iOS/Android too far up their ****) that they write "reviews" once they've decided on a negative, click-bait title.​

That doesn't make a lot of sense - and we hear that a lot here. WP has a, what, 3% market share? It's been floating around that point for years now, despite various (albeit half assed) pushes by MSFT. Market share is not on the precipice to make a huge upswing, so the hatchet jobs by writers make no sense - I really don't think Apple and Google are concerned with our little niche market at all.

Click bait to me would be something like, "Why iPhone will Disappear in Five Years" or "Why Android is Doomed to Fail"

MicroG33k

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm leaving my iPhone 5 behind and going to Windows Phone next month. The main reason for leaving WP originally was certain apps weren't available for work (Education) and socially like snapchat, Todoist, etc. In terms of UI, I find WP to be more appealing. Hopefully, universal apps should break a lot of the barriers currently facing the platform.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, universal apps should break a lot of the barriers currently facing the platform.

To be fair, this depends on a large (if not all) extent on the idea that these developers produce apps for Windows as a platform. It's likely that existing developers will stick with Apple/Android and not develop for Windows.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Two words to explain why Windows Phone has not been widely accepted...

1. Microsoft
2. Windows

Both words are tainted by their past performance. Microsoft the bullying, destructive, monopoly; Windows the bloated, insecure, malware-soaked OS.

Who would want that on their phone?!

Have you met Android yet?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think anything could be called an "Android-ish UI". Android has so many custom skins/launchers from OEMs.
Back in 2010, when we started writing our portal app, we agreed to target many platforms (the university didn't want to tell students which phone to buy to get university services) and that we would make each app look "native" on each platform. The Apple, Blackberry, Microsoft, and Palm developers had no problem -- the Android guy said "there really aren't are guidelines. I summarized that Google's only UI guidance at the time was "use pixels." (He did, and we got the app out.)

To be fair, UI standards are a lot more defined in the Android world today, but it really was almost a wild west five years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb