What is Known (Rumors Included) for What is to Come in Redstone 3?

LittleOsorio

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven't heard much of Redstone 3, and I would like to know more about it if possible. I'm reconsidering switching back to Windows Phone from Android, but I would like to know what's coming in the future.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile will get a x64 SKU and the ability to run x86/x64 apps with an emulator ("Project Cobalt")
Although if this does happen, not likely to be supported on any current Lumias, if I understand correctly.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Although if this does happen, not likely to be supported on any current Lumias, if I understand correctly.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative
Well, for one you would need x64 compatible CPUs. Snapdragon 808, 810 (950 and 950XL) as well as Elite x3 and Idol S have such CPUs. So we don't know yet. One can hope!

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, for one you would need x64 compatible CPUs. Snapdragon 808, 810 (950 and 950XL) as well as Elite x3 and Idol S have such CPUs. So we don't know yet. One can hope!

From what I'm reading here in the forums and the posts on WC, the emulation will not be compatible with current hardware, but I can't say for sure for the SD820 on the Elite X3 as well as the Idol 4S. The last flagship Lumias, both running SD810 and SD808 respectively, will unfortunately not be able to run the emulator at all.

But from what I read, Microsoft had made some agreement with Qualcom to produce a customized SD830 which will enable the processor to run x86 apps via emulation, so this removes the need for a dedicated x86 processors like the Atom processors by Intel, making ARM chips more than sufficient.

But alas, I may have read the article wrongly. Too long for me to remember everything tho.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
From what I'm reading here in the forums and the posts on WC, the emulation will not be compatible with current hardware, but I can't say for sure for the SD820 on the Elite X3 as well as the Idol 4S. The last flagship Lumias, both running SD810 and SD808 respectively, will unfortunately not be able to run the emulator at all.

But from what I read, Microsoft had made some agreement with Qualcom to produce a customized SD830 which will enable the processor to run x86 apps via emulation, so this removes the need for a dedicated x86 processors like the Atom processors by Intel, making ARM chips more than sufficient.

But alas, I may have read the article wrongly. Too long for me to remember everything tho.

Nobody knows. There's no information about whether current phone like the 950 or the newer x3 or IDOL 4S will be able to run Project Cobalt. Only time will tell

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
A customized SD830? Can you point to a source that would back that up?
I've also read something about customized SD830 or rather a close cooperation of Qualcomm and Microsoft on that chip on Nokia power user where they refer to "reliable sources".

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
OK, I didn't know a single thing about it, there is a lot to come for the next Win10 devices, I only hope they close the distance between the Desktop and the Smartphones, I have laptops running Win7 which has less RAM or CPU than modern smartphones, so it might be possible.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've also read something about customized SD830 or rather a close cooperation of Qualcomm and Microsoft on that chip on Nokia power user where they refer to "reliable sources".

Hmm, well, MS has already been in "close cooperation" with Qualcomm for years, as it is MS who develops the Snapdragon chipset drivers for all WP/WM devices. I guess what I'd really like to know is what "close cooperation" actually means. For example:

• Why does x86 emulation only appear to work with Qualcomm chips and not any ARM chip?
  • Is Qualcomm designing circuitry specifically to improve x86 emulation?
  • Is this something only MS can use (due to some direct involvement by MS), or could Apple theoretically also use it to run OSX x86 software on ARM devices?
  • etc.
That's the sort of stuff reporters with just a tad of technical understanding would be trying to clarify, but so far I've been unable to find any such information (not to mention that a lot of it is contradictory).

OK, I didn't know a single thing about it, there is a lot to come for the next Win10 devices, I only hope they close the distance between the Desktop and the Smartphones, I have laptops running Win7 which has less RAM or CPU than modern smartphones, so it might be possible.

Of course it's possible. It's ALWAYS possible. The question is not IF, but HOW WELL.

Last edited:

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
A customized SD830? Can you point to a source that would back that up?

It was one of the editorial articles posted by Jason Ward here on the WC site, I think. Forgot which one it was, so you can just assume that whatever I said is most probably false hahahaha.

Well, whatever. I don't care if what I said is true or false, because today Microsoft just announced Windows 10 for ARM devices, and they showcased it with the currently available SoC, the SD820.

#hyped

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo