what is the benefit of buying the Lumia 900 no commitment?

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If the cancellation fee is $325 and it goes down by $10 per month,what is the benefit of paying $449 for the Lumia 900??

If I were to cancel service in 6 months and restart it with a W8 phone,what would be the issue??

I'm new to AT&T (from sprint) and am trying to decide what way to go as I haven't been on a contract in 1 yr.....

Please advise.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
If the cancellation fee is $325 and it goes down by $10 per month,what is the benefit of paying $449 for the Lumia 900??

If I were to cancel service in 6 months and restart it with a W8 phone,what would be the issue??

I'm new to AT&T (from sprint) and am trying to decide what way to go as I haven't been on a contract in 1 yr.....

Please advise.
You don't have to change your number is a big one.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The only issue is that AT&T won't give you the same number for 2-3 months (not sure how long) if you break your contract. What you can do however, is move to Verizon for WP8, which should allow you to keep the same number. Crazy.. I know!

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
or just buy a wp8 handset outright when they come out, since the lumia was effectively free (if you got the nokia credit) or at most $99.

that's my plan at least. but i'm fairly used to paying more than the subsidized price for phones since i tend to change my secondary phone like every 3 months out of boredom

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Please advise.

There isn't really any advantage. You just buy the phone at full price and tell AT&T what service you want. You are free to cancel your service any time without penalty is really the only advantage.

When a WP8 device comes out that you want you don't need to cancel anything. Just go to AT&T and say I want the Lumia 1200. You will be eligible for an upgrade and be able to buy it at the cheap price. You will just need to sign a two year contract at that time.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
One disadvantage is that if you're a government employee you cannot get the 15% discount when you're not under contract.

identity-x

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
There isn't really any advantage. You just buy the phone at full price and tell AT&T what service you want. You are free to cancel your service any time without penalty is really the only advantage.

When a WP8 device comes out that you want you don't need to cancel anything. Just go to AT&T and say I want the Lumia 1200. You will be eligible for an upgrade and be able to buy it at the cheap price. You will just need to sign a two year contract at that time.

It sounds like the OP is already on contract, in which case s/he still won't be able to cancel until the end of the contract.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Please advise.

It sounds like the OP is already on contract, in which case s/he still won't be able to cancel until the end of the contract.

Really... To me it kinda sounds like the OP is on Sprint and off contract for a year and planning on switching to AT&T for the Lumia 900.

icedearth15324

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I had the samsung infuse 4g for about 8 months, and hated the thing. I bought my Lumia 900 outright because I did not qualify for an upgrade. I then sold my infuse and basically got the Lumia for $250.

If Windows doesn't push Apollo to the L900, I can then use my actual upgrade to get a new phone for cheaper later this year.

That's why I bought the phone outright.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
or just buy a wp8 handset outright when they come out, since the lumia was effectively free (if you got the nokia credit) or at most $99.

that's my plan at least. but i'm fairly used to paying more than the subsidized price for phones since i tend to change my secondary phone like every 3 months out of boredom

Ah, so I'm NOT the only one who does this :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The huge advantage is you don't have to pay up the wazoo for AT&T's monthly plans. You can use an MVNO like Red Pocket, Smart Talk, Bolt, etc. and pay half or less even.

Apparently AT&T's family plays are more competitively priced, but if you're an individual, I don't know why you would use them as your carrier.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I got a job and fortunate that i can buy my phones off contract outside of iPhone but i also sell whatever current phone I have to get some of my money back so one helps pay for the other simple math

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if I can get $300 for my Focus S and $100 for my Focus (paid $350 and $150, respectively, and used for 2 months and 5 months), that's really close to $475 after tax for a 900 ;)

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, if I can get $300 for my Focus S and $100 for my Focus (paid $350 and $150, respectively, and used for 2 months and 5 months), that's really close to $475 after tax for a 900 ;)
I have a similar thinking here. Looking to get $300 for my Vivid and then I can pay up the balance of $475.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb