What is the best Microsoft phone I can get on a budget .. ?

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for a new phone and since a particularly great second hand pone I was wanting to buy is no longer available (lumia 920 ) I want to buy a new budget friendly phone that offers a good value for a good hardware . I've been comparing Nokia X2 and Lumia 630 , and right now I think that the X2 has a leg up on 630 on pretty much everything , I just wish the X 2 had windows phone on it ... any suggestions guys ? what do you think ?

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Umm 500 euros is a bit too much for me , anything near the 200 euros price ?
PS : I'm in Italy and it really baffles me how the unlocked Nokia phones here are overpriced when compared with their prices in the States...

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Umm 500 euros is a bit too much for me , anything near the 200 euros price ?
PS : I'm in Italy and it really baffles me how the unlocked Nokia phones here are overpriced when compared with their prices in the States...

That's sad.

Then you should take a look at the 6xx series (625/630/635).

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about the 6xx series , I mean when I compared them to the X2 they seemed a bit overpriced , I mean the 630 is for 150 euros while the x2 is for 99 euros AND has better specs ... so I'm really leaning towards the X2 now, but I really want to get an X2 counterpart with windows phone which doesn't seem to be available

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Get the 920 if you want wireless charging and 32gb on board storage (roughly 29gb). But it is slightly heavier than your other threw options which are the 925 and the Ativ S, the 925 has benefit of that amazing 920 camera with a 6 element lens and support in terms of features and exclusive apps (which you will also get with 920, but only 16gb of onboard storage, no wireless charging). Where as the Ativ S has the mSD slot which both the 925 or 920 lack plus a removable battery, but no wireless charging. However it doesn't get much in regards to exclusive apps or additional update goodness enjoyed by Lumia windows phone users.

Lastly you have the HTC 8X which is an amazing device, but it is also lacking in the support department when compared to the Nokia phones. Also no msd slot, no wireless charging and only 16gb onboard.

If you cant get the above, try the 525 or the 625. However if you can wait there are new phones due to be released by the new the oems who have recently joined the windows phone bandwagon.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Any budget phone with 1GB ram and OEMs can take my money , heard of any of those ? ( the 525 has an older processor , that's why it's off my list , that and it's not available where I currently am : Italy )

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm in that case the 820 would be best. Or wait for the new budget phones from the low end oems to hit the market I guess.

Last edited:

Rich Woods

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Get the X2. Forget about specs. Android has much better apps than Windows Phone. The so called app gap is not so much about quantity but about quality. You may think that it's not such a big deal to have apps that aren't quite as good as your friends have, but it gets very frustrating.

Even though it is not Google Android, as long as the app doesn't have Google services (Maps, etc.) integrated into the app, it can easily be uploaded to any AOSP app store. Amazon did it.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Get the X2. Forget about specs. Android has much better apps than Windows Phone. The so called app gap is not so much about quantity but about quality. You may think that it's not such a big deal to have apps that aren't quite as good as your friends have, but it gets very frustrating.

Even though it is not Google Android, as long as the app doesn't have Google services (Maps, etc.) integrated into the app, it can easily be uploaded to any AOSP app store. Amazon did it.

Yes with more people like you we would be still using dumbphones i guess.. Every platform had to go trough some growing pains and if people like you said nah Android/iOS is bad because the apps are not the same quality as the other OS/website then we would be still using a Nokia 1100/3310...

To the op, i would suggest to get a 525/630/820/second hand 925/1020 to stay in budget, you can also buy devices online wich are not available in Italy.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Personally , I don't care much for the apps since in my opinion a Kim Kardashian game is the last thing I would want on earth :p, since in my opinion a phone is mainly for communication and some light gaming , because if I wanted a portable gaming device , I guess I would be better off with a PS vita , and the number one I don't want an android budget is because while there are ways to activate US only services on WPs while it's almost impossible on androids plus the fact that android is not quite stable or secure with google's spyware and is the ONLY mobile OS that NEEDS an anti-virus :p . I know that tech companies are very US centric but google is pure annoying with their blocking of services and apps
I was only considering the X2 because it seems to offer better value but since it's not officially released yet nor is it officially priced ( 99 euros price turned out to be a lie :p ) I'm leaning towards the 620 or the 630 ; with the 620 having more sensors and the 630 having bigger screen and quad core processor.
Oh and any one who knows a website for selling used Italian electronics would be of much help , especially since I don't even speak Italian and I'm just a pseudo-English and pseudo-French speaking tourist who wants to get a good sim free phone that offers good value for its' price
PS : a very weird and even suspicious fact , one review praised the 630 for everything but the camera ( phone arena ) and another one scolded for everything ( including that there's no noticeable difference in game performance between it and the 620 alas saying the new cpu isn't better than the old one ) ,but the camera ( engadget )

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The best wp for the budget conscious is, imo, the 625. Best bang for buck, least compromised, cheap... Only issue is arguably the 512 mb ram. But if you're not so much a gamer it's negligible.

JobSteves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Maybe try Craigslist? I was able to get a Lumia 928 for $100. Or try swappa. They are amazing.
Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
525 is the best phone, you don't need faster processor than one it has. I use it and I can tell you for sure that this is the best budget phone available in the market. It has 1GB ram which is the plus point over 6xx series. If you want flash, than 620/25 but 630 doesn't have flash. If flash is not the concern, 525 is the best option. And X2 is just a forked android and you won't get much apps on it, in fact the hardware isn't enough to run android smoothly like Lumia 525. Frankly, no android phone below 200$ belt can give you experience like Lumia 525.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a new phone and since a particularly great second hand pone I was wanting to buy is no longer available (lumia 920 ) I want to buy a new budget friendly phone that offers a good value for a good hardware . I've been comparing Nokia X2 and Lumia 630 , and right now I think that the X2 has a leg up on 630 on pretty much everything , I just wish the X 2 had windows phone on it ... any suggestions guys ? what do you think ?

First you said a budget phone and you are dismissing Budget Phones with Windows with only a look at specs.........Big Big mistake.

This is the joy of a Windows Phone, yes the specs may be lower, but with that comes a price break....and add in the fact the lower end Windows Phones don't need an update to it's OS like Android....."Project Butter" because even though the specs were top notch the OS was filled with Lag and stutter.

Windows Phone OS does not seem to have that issue even with the 512 MB devices.....the only thing we suffer is load time. However it's not painfully slow to load.

Were I in your place I would take a hard look at getting a Nokia Lumia 635. I would say best overall bang for the buck, and you can expand storage with the use of a Micro SD card . It's a fair screen size and in terms of specs not at all shabby!!!!! It will also have Cortana and the Cyan updates.

However if your poo pooing on specs only, then your option would be any used higher end Windows Phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs