What is your native language?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been pretty much everywhere in the U.S. except the south east, and have yet to meet someone I can't understand

Yes I agree with your observation. I don't think US English really has dialects; its variations are more in accents. I have a strong Midwestern accent, but I've never had trouble understand people in the Northeast such as Boston, or the deep South such as Mississippi.

I just took a trip down memory lane to the first time I visited London, many years ago. I was unprepared for the British accent. I did struggle a bit at first! However, I've gained a bit of experience since then. Now, I can sometimes tell a foreign speaker's first language by their accent when speaking English.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I speak poor English, would rather laugh, and love listening to ALL accents: Irish; English; Swedish; German; Scottish are among my favorites, and I will not lie, very often, I have to say: "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" One of my very best friends is from the Czech Republic, and he too is a delight to listen to.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes I agree with your observation. I don't think US English really has dialects; its variations are more in accents. I have a strong Midwestern accent, but I've never had trouble understand people in the Northeast such as Boston, or the deep South such as Mississippi.

I just took a trip down memory lane to the first time I visited London, many years ago. I was unprepared for the British accent. I did struggle a bit at first! However, I've gained a bit of experience since then. Now, I can sometimes tell a foreign speaker's first language by their accent when speaking English.
I had to watch JFK's inauguration speech when I was in high school. I couldn't understand a word of it.

I typically don't have any issues with the London accent. It is the Cockney accent that is hard for me to understand.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I had to watch JFK's inauguration speech when I was in high school. I couldn't understand a word of it.

Funny you should mention JFK, my Mother was a Bostonian through and through; we move to Southern California when I was 2, but she NEVER lost her STRONG Boston dialect.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Funny you should mention JFK, my Mother was a Bostonian through and through; we move to Southern California when I was 2, but she NEVER lost her STRONG Boston dialect.
Funny how that happens. My wife lived in N. Jersey until she was in high school yet she doesn't talk like your typical New Yorker. Went to New York about 2 years ago and after a day there I didn't recognize her speech anymore. It was like I was married to Rosie Perez. It all came back and I had to de-program her when we got home.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
A number of years ago I stopped over in Kansai outside of Osaka after working down in Okinawa.

Wandering around seeing people with cans of beer out in the terminal I asked a Japanese guy (with difficulty using a language primer) if people were carrying brews in their luggage.
He told me no that you can buy booze and sit wherever and enjoy.

I zipped into one of the airport shops found the cooler grabbed a bottle of Grolsch.
With primer in hand I approached the counter to pay up.

As I was about to read from the primer the Japanese gal at the counter said:
"You won't need that I was born and raised in Los Angeles"

I'll never forget that :)

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm fluent in English and Malay, but my native tongue is Cantonese. Though I've been observed to swear and curse in several other Chinese dialects, and Tamil too for good measure!!

.... !!!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea what the Cockney accent is, but this sounds like "The Sopranos" to me. Am I at least close?

No, "The Sopranos" is a totally different accent....if you want a great representation of a Cockney accent, AND have access to Netflix, watch an episode of "Pinky Blinders":^)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Funny how that happens. My wife lived in N. Jersey until she was in high school yet she doesn't talk like your typical New Yorker. Went to New York about 2 years ago and after a day there I didn't recognize her speech anymore. It was like I was married to Rosie Perez. It all came back and I had to de-program her when we got home.

Okay, I am laughing at deprogramming your wife

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte