What laptop should I get?

Marcus Hock

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I just graduated high school and I'm in the market for a laptop for college. I'll be an engineering student so I do want something with so power behind it, but I'll also be bringing my desktop, so I don't want a completely massive powerhouse.

So far I've been considering the Surface Pro 3, the new Dell XPS 13 and the new Asus Zenbook ux305.

Do you guys have any other suggestions of laptop that I should consider, or do you have any of these laptops and can give me feedback about them.

Also my budget is anywhere from $1,000-$2,000.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks

EDIT: I definitely want an ultrabook. Nothing bulky.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I'm also in the market as well.

I'd check out to see if your engineering program has specific requirements, I know one of the colleges in my state has strict requirements. (this processor or higher, must have pen input, etc.)

I'd personally balk at the Surface line just because of its sheer impossible-to-repair nature.

I'd really look at business-class computers like the Dell Latitude or Lenovo ThinkPad lines. (built better, easier to repair, more parts)
(I'm going to probably spring for a ThinkPad Yoga 12 or 14 depending on whether the 14 has pen input or not)

If I didn't want a pen or the 2-in-1 nature I'd look at one of the Latitude ultrabooks or maybe a ThinkPad T440 or something.

I can't say about the UX305.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786