What Microsoft will do with Nokia?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's most likely that Nokia will carry on for a couple of years as is then will cease to exist in the mobile market. Whether MS wants to make small handsets is unknown. They may keep them but I personally don't see the point as they're becoming irrelevant. With the availability of low end WP why would you bother?

It rather difficult to know what MS plans are. They have the Nokia name, the Lumia name and the Asha name for 10 years. As a company I can't see them keeping any of those names for too long as they're not part of the overall MS image. This is the thing to keep in mind. They'll use them as leverage in the market until people become comfortable with MS owning Nokia then they'll vanish.

That's typical of any company take over and more often than not, has to do with how much history is in the company name. Since Nokia had become more or less unknown in the US I can see it not staying part of the MS brand for long there, if not disappearing immediately.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think more interesting is what Nokia will do with Microsoft. MS have a record of acquiring companies and leaving them semi-autonomous, so things could continue as the old Nokia had planned while Microsoft learned lessons about customer support and how to effectively spend money.

It could well be that the old Nokia could become the core of the device design department, because the Lumia 2520 have shown that Nokia are not a one trick pony.

Another effect is that Nokia innovation becomes distributed more widely through Microsoft devices, so we'll OIS cameras in future Surface devices for example.

Microsoft are not afraid of innovation. They have introduced a radical new UI and in the recent reshuffle it was Windows Phone people who came to the fore. I'm sure Microsoft respects Nokia and will learn from this acquisition.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Please people get it already. MS didnt buy Nokia, Nokia only sold them the devices and services. Nokia will remain as separate company doing business as before, just not selling phones anymore.

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Please people get it already. MS didnt buy Nokia, Nokia only sold them the devices and services. Nokia will remain as separate company doing business as before, just not selling phones anymore.

Yes, We are talking about Microsoft's possible strategy for newly acquired phone business of Nokia.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Nice condescending tone. Did you ever think that we already knew that? It was about what MS plans to do with Nokia if you actually took two seconds to read the OP. Yes, Nokia still has it's other services but the phone division belongs to MS. The question asked is what will they do with it?

They have the lease of the names for 10 years, including the Nokia name. Will the keep using it? Will they drop it? Will they keep making Asha phones? Only make WP? What do you think?

Or do you just come onto forums to be a condescending *****?

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Since Nokia had become more or less unknown in the US I can see it not staying part of the MS brand for long there, if not disappearing immediately.

Yes, in US Nokia may be under-marketed brand, but in other countries (e.g. India) Nokia has invested a lot in branding and customer care. We can find Nokia Care stores everywhere here. It would be a difficult choice for MS whether to keep Nokia or let it go! your views?

engineermoore

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
outside the us, especially Europe and large parts of Asia the Nokia brand means so much. To be honest the only reason I have a windows phone is because Nokia stopped making Symbian smart phones. My family all have lumias, my friends have lumias. All because of the Nokia brand! And As mentioned earlier, there are care centres across the world which i hope Microsoft keep!

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Nice condescending tone. Did you ever think that we already knew that? It was about what MS plans to do with Nokia if you actually took two seconds to read the OP. Yes, Nokia still has it's other services but the phone division belongs to MS. The question asked is what will they do with it?

They have the lease of the names for 10 years, including the Nokia name. Will the keep using it? Will they drop it? Will they keep making Asha phones? Only make WP? What do you think?

Not quite - I don't believe the deal allows MS to use the Nokia name. They have rights to the Lumia trademark and I think Asha as well (not sure), but they will not have the rights to use the Nokia trademark on any of their devices. Nokia could of course grant them such permission, but I don't think it is part of the sale as things stand.

As someone already posted, WP only sees adoption in India because it's a) cheap and/or b) Nokia. Losing that edge will be bad for growth in that market.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Nice condescending tone. Did you ever think that we already knew that?

To be honest, Mr/Ms N_LaRUE, given previous discussions on this forum I would assume that most people here didn't know that. I would like to thank Ms/Mr Loco5150 for reminding us.

You're the one calling someone you've never met "a condescending *****". I suggest you think about that.

Anyway, returning the subject. I have no idea what Microsoft will do with the parts of Nokia they acquired. Microsoft's record with acquisitions is extremely poor, so we should expect some really stupid stuff.
What they should do is keep the Nokia name - it's actually pretty strong in much of the world. They should absolutely keep making cheap non-WP phones. Check out the price difference between a basic GSM phone, and a basic Windows phone. The latter absolutely does not yet replace the former.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not quite - I don't believe the deal allows MS to use the Nokia name. They have rights to the Lumia trademark and I think Asha as well (not sure), but they will not have the rights to use the Nokia trademark on any of their devices. Nokia could of course grant them such permission, but I don't think it is part of the sale as things stand.

As someone already posted, WP only sees adoption in India because it's a) cheap and/or b) Nokia. Losing that edge will be bad for growth in that market.

MS has use of Nokia name but it says 'feature phones' With the Nokia deal, Microsoft become a juggernaut in patents for smart devices | Windows Phone Central

I could have sworn there was something somewhere that said they had it in general but I can't seem to find it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, Mr/Ms N_LaRUE, given previous discussions on this forum I would assume that most people here didn't know that. I would like to thank Ms/Mr Loco5150 for reminding us.

See my link in the above post.

You're the one calling someone you've never met "a condescending *****". I suggest you think about that.

Anyway, returning the subject. I have no idea what Microsoft will do with the parts of Nokia they acquired. Microsoft's record with acquisitions is extremely poor, so we should expect some really stupid stuff.
What they should do is keep the Nokia name - it's actually pretty strong in much of the world. They should absolutely keep making cheap non-WP phones. Check out the price difference between a basic GSM phone, and a basic Windows phone. The latter absolutely does not yet replace the former.

This coming from someon who doesn't use Windows products except at work. I'm not one for trusting your opinion much. Sorry.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
This coming from someon who doesn't use Windows products except at work. I'm not one for trusting your opinion much. Sorry.

Whilst I take your point in general, isn't this a bit harsh for this topic? No one knows outside a certain band of people within MS, so everything in this thread will be conjecture. Whether forum members use the product, fully, partially or not at all won't really affect their thoughts about MS's future plans for Nokia will it?

engineermoore

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
What it will do? Stop manufacturing small non-windows devices?
Your views?

To answer the OP's question, I think it would be silly to stop manufacturing the small, simple and cheap devices. They may need to change them slightly to fit in the windows ecosystem but they should definitely be kept because they are really quite popular with some people and in some countries.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I think I've said this in previous comments, but while I don't know what MS will do, there are things that I hope that they will do!

I really hope the Nokia name, design and products live on. I tend to think that software designers/writers are better at writing/designing software than making hardware. And vice-versa. Therefore, I hope a stronger alliance is forged between MS and Nokia. A large step would be for MS to share more of their future software plans with the hardware division, so that the phones can be built accordingly.

Additionally the enormous reserves that MS have could easily be directed towards boosting the phone divisions public awareness. I think Nokia were well known in Europe, but have tended to drop off the map a bit. However, if MS were to top up the Nokia marketing and advertising budgets a bit, sales should follow.

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the Asha/Non-WP phones will stop coming, they recently launched new Asha devices and we keep hearing about the Nokia Normandy. To tell the truth, Asha is not doing very well as everyone wither gets a sub $50 phone, or gets an Android here in Asia.
The Best possible scenario: Microsoft Adopts Nokia as another one of its branches like XBone or Office and everyone stays happy. We can get a Nokia Lumia (pretty much like XB360/One or Office 2013).
OR
MS makes it Microsoft Lumia (which I don't think will be final name). And change the the Lumia form factor, hitting itself in the foot again.

I think there are some chances things keep the way I think in the best scenario, though I know Nokia name might not be there.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok my bad, Ive seen that a lot. People think MS bought Nokia and I just quickly saw the tittle "What Microsoft will do with Nokia?" and thought I read something else about what MS will do with Nokia as a company. I admit I didnt read the whole posts.

Anyway, if you guys are talking about what MS will do with Nokia's name :). I personally think the plan is pretty clear, but what-do-I-know and plans also can change. I think it looks like they will drop Nokia from Lumia's (WP) right away. Wasnt there some news about this already or do I remember wrong? 929 being called only Lumia Icon? And I think the plan is to keep making the cheaper (Asha) phones with Nokia name and transit people from those quickly as possible to the WP world. Seems that way at least. Also now that we have had those forked Android leaks lately, I wouldnt be supriced if its really coming even with MS. Think about it, its Nokia's plan for low-end devices (replace Asha), MS still needs this low-end so they can push people over time to WP. So, if the forked Android is the plan by Nokia for low-end, MS cant change that... They need the low-end to live as long as possible to transit people.

What has been missed in the news about these latest leaks IMO, is that if we talk about Nokia's plan b Android (which they surely had), leaks from that we wouldnt be looking at some low-level phones. We would be looking at high-end Android device's by Nokia, with all the camera etc innovation in them..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99