What should I expect with my Surface Pro 3 I5/8GB/256GB device

TechBob

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased an open box I5/8GB/256GB Surface Pro 3. After using it for a few hours, I found that it had an admin password set in the BIOS and so Microsoft exchanged it for a replacement with a much lower serial number. I just received it and it came with W10 preloaded (the old one was W8.1) and loaded it with all the updates and it began running very hot just browsing the web with either Chrome or Edge. I tried several things including changing video drivers and ultimately reloading it back to factory, this time limiting it from updating, at least initially, the updates from applying and I found that it ran somewhat cooler. So now it is fully up to date and with the last firmware update it seems again to run warm, but not as hot as before, Soooo, here is what I am asking:

1) What should I expect with this under the best of circumstances? Should I expect it to run completely cool or will it always run warm? Is this just that I have started at a time that a buggy firmware hits or is this normal?
2) Should I keep this (fan is quiet when it runs, I hear some are really noisy) or should I return it again?
3) Is there a way to roll back the firmware update to an earlier version? It does seem to run cooler with the older firmware.
4) There is nothing hogging CPU time. Is there anything that I should try to keep it running cool? The fan is so quiet I am not sure that it is running at full speed. Maybe that is the reason that it is warm.

I appreciate any comments. Since I have exchanged it there is no longer any chance to return it and frankly I don't want to. I could not afford the Pro 4 version of how this is equipped, so this is a keeper. But it needs to work as well as its hardware promises. Thanks in advance.

Bossy573

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I have this exact model, but I'm not sure how much of a help I will be. I'll just relate my experience.

I bought mine with with Windows 8.1 - and it was great. I upgraded to Windows 10, and it was not. Constant issues similar to those you mention above, so I rolled back to Windows 8.1 and I am a happy camper again. In fairness, this was a few months ago, and many of the issues may have been resolved through software and firmware updates. I know a lot of the Surface Book and SP4 guys were having all kinds of problems, but these look to have been largely resolved through recent updates.
I would suggest you make sure you have all the most recent updates installed and see if there is an improvement. Not sure if you can roll back to Windows 8.1, but that may help. For me, I use the SP3 with 8.1 as my daily driver, including work, and although it is not perfect, it is pretty damn close for what I do. I pretty much boot straight into the desktop, and have it driving 2 monitors + the SP screen at work through the new dock, and it works very well. This was not the case using Windows 10. (To clarify - I love Windows 10 - have it on my home desktop).

Louis Preaux

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I bought an open box like you, same model as well.
I had overheating issues a well.

The issue disappeared by reinstalling Windows 10 from USB using the Microsoft tool, then fine windows updates.

I only hear my fan while doing intensive stuff such as big projects denying on visual studio.

Hope that helps.

TechBob

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I returned the first unit and I am glad that I did. I tried reinstalling Windows, different video drivers, etc. and it ran hot. The unit that I received this last time is a much lower serial number, but it runs cool. It really is a night and day difference. Right now it is completely cool and quiet. Not sure why such a difference, but I am satisfied. I recommend that if someone has one that runs really hot, exchange it. I was glad that I did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077