What smartphone to buy?

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, the Phonetober fest is almost ending and I am in the market for a new smartphone. I am one of those in the minority who like smaller smartphones. I prefer to use them one-handed most of the time (my right thumb is pretty much exhausted most of the time). I was a Windows phone user, then an android person for a year (One+2), and for the past 2 years I am on iOS. One of the reasons I moved from Android to iOS was that most Android phones were getting ridiculously large for one-handed use and the user experience wasn't up to par (also the update situation). I wasn't too happy/still am not with Samsung's heavy skinned Android versions. The fluid (yet boring) iOS was like a breath of fresh air-coupled with regular updates directly from Apple and smaller size offerings (iPhone 6,7,8), made it an easy switch.
I am at the point where I am bored of iPhone 6s and want an upgrade. The "affordable" offering from Apple, the iPhone XR, isn't a one-hand friendly phone. I went to BestBuy and took a look at pixel 3- which was great in my opinion- but slightly dated-looking. I am confused. Wish there was a third option (you know what I mean)! Full disclosure-I am not invested in iOS or Google services/apps-use Microsoft and Amazon services/apps on my device.

Would love to hear your opinion on what you think is the best small-medium sized phone available in the market for a former Windows phone user.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I can help you with this. I am the same way myself and here's what I would suggest as your options:

With iOS, you can go with the iPhone 8 (remember that it's only a year old) or if you don't mind secondhand, try aiming for a X.

On the Android side, the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (previous generation but has a headphone jack - ignore this suggestion if you are on Verizon though)) or the XZ3 Compact (current generation, still small but a lot of screen and works on Verizon!). The Pixel 2 has fairly big bezels but is a great choice, especially considering that most of the features from the Pixel 3 are also going to the 2 as well.

I am actually considering the iPhone 8 myself as I have a 7 currently.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you @libra89 . I was thinking of iphone 8 as an option.. But it looks and feels like the age old iPhone (Iphone 6/6s) I already have. Wireless charging, to me is the only upside to getting one. Also, I am not a power-user. 6s seems to do fine for me right now, especially after iOS12 update.I actually went to Bestbuy to have a look at Sony Xperia XZ2. It is a small phone, agreed. But it is NOT at all elegant looking (coming from iPhone). Sigh! I also don't feel like I should pay Apple any more $$$ as their "affordable" flagship is $750. Paying hard earned $750 for a "good enough" phone is hard to justify.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you @libra89 . I was thinking of iphone 8 as an option.. But it looks and feels like the age old iPhone (Iphone 6/6s) I already have. Wireless charging, to me is the only upside to getting one. Also, I am not a power-user. 6s seems to do fine for me right now, especially after iOS12 update.I actually went to Bestbuy to have a look at Sony Xperia XZ2. It is a small phone, agreed. But it is NOT at all elegant looking (coming from iPhone). Sigh! I also don't feel like I should pay Apple any more $$$ as their "affordable" flagship is $750. Paying hard earned $750 for a "good enough" phone is hard to justify.

You're welcome. I get you on that. It is a hard choice that I wish you good luck with. The good thing is that you can also get your battery replaced too on the 6s if you want to. I wish that it was still possible to get a new X, as that seems to be the balance that others (who like small-medium sizes) have found.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I'll second the Sony android offerings, they are pretty nice. And you can install the Launcher 10 or Blackberry launchers on android if you are so inclined.

I'm also not a fan of Apple deciding to give its users 'values' scores based on your use of their devices.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So, the Phonetober fest is almost ending and I am in the market for a new smartphone. I am one of those in the minority who like smaller smartphones. I prefer to use them one-handed most of the time (my right thumb is pretty much exhausted most of the time). I was a Windows phone user, then an android person for a year (One+2), and for the past 2 years I am on iOS. One of the reasons I moved from Android to iOS was that most Android phones were getting ridiculously large for one-handed use and the user experience wasn't up to par (also the update situation). I wasn't too happy/still am not with Samsung's heavy skinned Android versions. The fluid (yet boring) iOS was like a breath of fresh air-coupled with regular updates directly from Apple and smaller size offerings (iPhone 6,7,8), made it an easy switch.
I am at the point where I am bored of iPhone 6s and want an upgrade. The "affordable" offering from Apple, the iPhone XR, isn't a one-hand friendly phone. I went to BestBuy and took a look at pixel 3- which was great in my opinion- but slightly dated-looking. I am confused. Wish there was a third option (you know what I mean)! Full disclosure-I am not invested in iOS or Google services/apps-use Microsoft and Amazon services/apps on my device.

Would love to hear your opinion on what you think is the best small-medium sized phone available in the market for a former Windows phone user.

Go for Xperia XZ2 compact.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone who pitched in..love you all @techiez @gbiqarar @Old_Mil @Ryujingt3 and @libra89.

I did what @libra89 suggested. Went for a used iPhone X . Paid $650 in cash- found a great deal on Craigslist from this wonderful guy (got lucky). I absolutely love it so far. The price was the max I was willing to spend. Went to an Apple store and one of the staff told me iPhone X is a better phone than an iPhone XR. So there's that. Thank you!!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you everyone who pitched in..love you all @techiez @gbiqarar @Old_Mil @Ryujingt3 and @libra89.

I did what @libra89 suggested. Went for a used iPhone X . Paid $650 in cash- found a great deal on Craigslist from this wonderful guy (got lucky). I absolutely love it so far. The price was the max I was willing to spend. Went to an Apple store and one of the staff told me iPhone X is a better phone than an iPhone XR. So there's that. Thank you!!

Yay! You're welcome! Congrats and enjoy your X!

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Enjoy your new phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos