What the future holds for PC gaming and Windows 10

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
So there has been more and more talk about PC Gaming and Windows 10 recently see article below. And some evidence of what Microsoft might do such as Windows 10 running across all devices and having One store between them all. A little surprised that there hasn't been much talk about this on the forums. But this forum did originate with Windows phone so I guess that is explainable. Hopefully this can spark some more discussion on it.

The Windows 10 Jan. 21 press event will include Microsoft's future PC gaming plans | Windows Central

Reading from here on is purely speculation on my part and I do not have strong evidence to back it up. Just something I hope Microsoft will do with PC gaming. Anyway I have a feeling the Microsoft will be bringing some sort of Xbox live service to the PC via Windows 10. Since Windows 10 will be running across various different devices including the Xbox One. They also mentioned having One store for Windows 10. If that's the case they could allow Xbox Games to be sold to the PC as well. Purchasing the game once digitally and having the ability to play it on either Xbox One or PC would be amazing. Also being able to play with either your console buddies or your PC buddies would be a cool idea. They might even bring back some of the ideas they had originally for the Xbox One but bring that into a Xbox PC service. I think this would be great idea and help expand their Xbox brand further. Allow the Consumers who are not so tech-savy to buy an Xbox One. But give the option for hardcore gamers with a higher-end budget to take advantage of it for better graphics. I think this is all quite possible.

What do you guys think? Do you have any other ideas or evidence to show what Microsoft might be doing with PC gaming in the future?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I forget what it was called, but remember being intrigued, reading about this new gaming technology which in a nutshell was "cloud pre-rendering" the games, taking the load off of the end user's hardware, running the most graphically intensive titles/games on nothing more than a good internet connection and a screen. All of the hard work, rendering, etc. was done on the server end, in the cloud... The days of having to have that monster video card and beefy gaming rig may be soon behind us!

Might be something totally different than what you're talking about, but this is Microsoft we're talking about here, so maybe not...

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey even that would be awesome! I totally forgot about that! That's a good point. I remember reading about it. It has a lot of potential for sure!

acerace113

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I forget what it was called, but remember being intrigued, reading about this new gaming technology which in a nutshell was "cloud pre-rendering" the games, taking the load off of the end user's hardware, running the most graphically intensive titles/games on nothing more than a good internet connection and a screen. All of the hard work, rendering, etc. was done on the server end, in the cloud... The days of having to have that monster video card and beefy gaming rig may be soon behind us!

Might be something totally different than what you're talking about, but this is Microsoft we're talking about here, so maybe not...

OnLive?

Sent from my jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S or Surface 2 using Tapatalk

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So, who watched, and what did folks think?

Personally, I thought this was a huge dud, from a PC gaming perspective. The major announcement was console gaming on a PC, not PC gaming. Instead, they gave some minor feature additions:

--Cross-platform voice chat
--Game DVR on PC
--Fable Legends on PC, with cross-platform play
--Streaming Xbox One games to PC

I don't see how this shows a commitment to PC gaming. One console-exclusive and some social features aren't that big of a deal. I would have rather seen things like:

--Multiple exclusives (even without cross-platform play), even just minor ones like Screamride and Crackdown (as opposed to Halo and Forza)
--Xbox LIVE-Steam Achievement syncing (highly unlikely, but would have been cool)
--Cross-platform buying for games running on Xbox One and PC (like Fable or Spartan Assault/Spartan Strike)
--Revealing of actual PC-focused games

I know this wasn't a gaming convention, and we have more to probably hear about in the future, but it seems like all of the "re-focusing on PC gamers" stuff was hype, not real substance.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it was disappointing for PC Gaming. But being able to stream Xbox One Games to my Surface I find pretty cool. Not sure how often I will use it. Also I think that Fable Legends being cross platform shows promise and potential for the future. I wonder if it will be universal where we buy once and can play on both? Hopefully more developers will do some cross platform gaming. But you are right more focus on Console gaming but with a hint of PC. Also I hope they make the streaming go the other way PC to Xbox One. Some others might find that more useful.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My concern is that cross-platform gaming is hard to make feasible. You can't go cross-platform with a game like Halo or Gears, as there's a HUGE advantage for using a mouse-and-keyboard setup against a controller. They would have to limit it to co-op or segregate the lobbies by gaming platform. With something like Forza, it's the opposite, but PC gamers could connect a controller with ease. It's just hard to imagine a way it works well for anything but co-op experiences like Fable.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Well if the Xbox One is going to be running Windows 10 maybe they will add mouse and keyboard support? Also they could force users to use a controller or keyboard/mouse in certain lobbies or game types to ensure there is no advantage for either user. But I can see that making some people angry because they won't be able to play with their buds if they don't have a controller or vice versa. But it is always difficult to please everyone.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Well if the Xbox One is going to be running Windows 10 maybe they will add mouse and keyboard support? Also they could force users to use a controller or keyboard/mouse in certain lobbies or game types to ensure there is no advantage for either user. But I can see that making some people angry because they won't be able to play with their buds if they don't have a controller or vice versa. But it is always difficult to please everyone.

I don't think that game devs will work an a patch to enable mosue&keyboard controls in their games. If so, then future games could support that.
And yeah, forcing people to buy peripherals to be able to play with their friends is kinda dumb and would be cocky, like "hey, we provide you with cross-platform gaming. all you need is to buy this controller from us" (I can already smell the "certified console mice and keyboards with 'Windows 10 ready' sticker" on them).

I only read a few articles that featured the most important points of the "gaming" part of the Windows 10 event.
So far I'm not impressed. I'm also worried. Windows 10 as a requirement for Fable Legends and DX12? No thanks, I'm a bit allergic to this kind of BS to gently force people on a new OS.

Also, can anyone please explain to me what benefits/advantages "streaming from your XBOne to your PC" could possibly have? I just don't see it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see mouse+keyboard support ever coming to the Xbox. The OS update's going to make it similar to Windows 10, just like the current version is like Windows 8, which doesn't have the support. It might add it for navigation/input options, but the balance between it and a controller is horrid. Mouse+keyboard would slaughter controller users in shooters, and the opposite would likely happen in racing games. The only thing I could MAYBE see is if someone brought out strategy games on the One with SPECIFIC support for mice and keyboard only, since so many can't work well with a controller at all.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, can anyone please explain to me what benefits/advantages "streaming from your XBOne to your PC" could possibly have? I just don't see it.

If I didn't have a gaming PC. I would stream my Xbox One Games to my Surface Pro 3 all the time. I think streaming from Xbox one to PC is more pointed at Customers who have an Xbox One with a PC like a laptop or Tablet that can't handle the graphics very well. Which would be quite a big number of people I'm sure. I wouldn't say that feature benefits PC gaming anyway. It benefits console gaming.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Phil Spencer said that they were going to TRY to get streaming to work in a manner where you can stream a game while someone else is using other applications on the One. So, you could have the One in the living room, let someone watch Netflix in there, then stream Halo to a laptop in another room. You could also have the Xbox in the bedroom for Netflix, then be able to play on an HTPC plugged into a living room TV.

It's mostly about making the Xbox One locally portable.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
If I didn't have a gaming PC. I would stream my Xbox One Games to my Surface Pro 3 all the time. I think streaming from Xbox one to PC is more pointed at Customers who have an Xbox One with a PC like a laptop or Tablet that can't handle the graphics very well. Which would be quite a big number of people I'm sure. I wouldn't say that feature benefits PC gaming anyway. It benefits console gaming.

Phil Spencer said that they were going to TRY to get streaming to work in a manner where you can stream a game while someone else is using other applications on the One. So, you could have the One in the living room, let someone watch Netflix in there, then stream Halo to a laptop in another room. You could also have the Xbox in the bedroom for Netflix, then be able to play on an HTPC plugged into a living room TV.

It's mostly about making the Xbox One locally portable.

Uhm, okay, I get the whole "in case you want to play on your XBOne but someone else is using the TV" scenario, but wouldn't it be better to just buy an extra TV? (nothing special, just a small, cheap one)
It feels like MS is making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is.

The multitasking is most likely not possible. The current generation of consoles already hit their performance-limit. And even if it is possible, the quality will most likely be "just ok" or choppy (already only 30fps + bad wifi signal -> bad experience). And don't forget the latency.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Simply buying a TV doesn't outright solve the issue, though. For starters, why buy a second TV if you can set up shop on a computer you already have? Also, like I said, their intention is to allow game streaming while another person is using the console for media applications. A second TV does you no good if the other person is watching Netflix, but streaming to a different device can solve it.

Plus, you could take the laptop into the bathroom and do some **** gaming!

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Simply buying a TV doesn't outright solve the issue, though. For starters, why buy a second TV if you can set up shop on a computer you already have? Also, like I said, their intention is to allow game streaming while another person is using the console for media applications. A second TV does you no good if the other person is watching Netflix, but streaming to a different device can solve it.

Plus, you could take the laptop into the bathroom and do some **** gaming!

Usually TVs are bigger than monitors for PCs (unless you are Barnacules Nerdgasm and use 3x 46" TVs as monitors^^).
I'm not really convinced that the XBOne can do a good job at multitasking (running + streaming a game AND media applications).

What do you mean with "set up shop"?

Also, during streaming and running media applications: who controls what? Will there be remote-control from the device that is streamed to for - let's say - exiting the game and starting different one?
Will the performance of application throttle the other one during heavy load? They do share the same memory so during streaming and media applications the XBOne will most likely have less performance than when only doing one thing at a time.

Call me sceptic, but until someone gets to test it in a real-life scenario I'm not thinking it's going to be a satisfying experience.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
By "set up shop," I just mean sit in front of a computer. My point was that buying a TV just gives you an output device, but you still need something Windows 10-based to make the connection with the Xbox One. If you have a computer already, you don't need to buy anything else. As for how the multitasking works, we can't exactly tell. In the case of media usage, Netflix is really just going to be a bandwidth hog, more than being a problem for the GPU.. you can already snap a TV show to a game, and it will run just fine. The problem is network strain, not CPU/GPU limitations.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
It feels like MS is making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is.

Call me sceptic, but until someone gets to test it in a real-life scenario I'm not thinking it's going to be a satisfying experience.

Have you thought maybe this is not for you? and end it there. you seem you want to justify how much you complain about it only because YOU don't seem to think it's useful to you.

is so bad to have options for people?

but then again... you seem to forget this could be used on Windows Phones too, which are not going to really going to get games with the quality of Xbox one any time soon. I am not talking about input devices, in the end, only because xbox one can be streamed to devices, it doesn't mean every game is multiplayer only, you could play single player games on your tablet.

but what about playing outside your house? there are many ways to fake it and be able to connect from outside your house. what if Microsoft allows you to do that and you can play outside your house xbox one games? have you thought about it?

PC doesn't have games that xbox one does, so this is a way for you to play them, end. but I am sure Microsoft hopes developers will be able to integrate their games like MS is doing with Fable, and the multiplayer on PC and Xbox.

So only because you don't see the value and you would want to always sit on the couch. well... you should just forget "streaming" exists.

I can give you another example how streaming could be useful for some people. you are in the middle of a match and then you have to go bathroom because you ate too much crap and you will be there for long time... would you rather drop the match that you are currently playing or it is going to start... or you would take 30 seconds to fully start your tablet or laptop and go to bathroom and continue playing there?
I am sure many would want to do this, I probably wouldn't but is that too bad for people to have options if they want to keep playing?
what about if you go to bed and you want to keep playing while you fall asleep?

yeah you could see the value there or not. but it doesn't mean this could be useful sometime. you say about buying a new tv? well... but you can't take your xbox and tv and carry it outside on the roof to watch the stars or something. I am sure you will say my post doesn't make you think it's still useful, but like I said, people like you should forget about the feature and let other users be happy with it.

it's like if I started complaining how useless it's virtual desktops to me, and Microsoft is making a big deal about it when it's not a big deal. I am sure it could be useful for many people, especially tablet users. but only because I don't find it "that" useful, it doesn't mean having it is bad or I would never get to use it.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Have you thought maybe this is not for you? and end it there. you seem you want to justify how much you complain about it only because YOU don't seem to think it's useful to you.
No. Simply no. What you're saying comes down to "if you're not the target audience don't complain about it".

is so bad to have options for people?
Giving people options is great and should be a standard. The XBOne didn't have the best start, the DRM and "always on" debacle where. And besides being a ~$600 machine for Netflix and some mediocre games at launch, the XBOne didn't quite deliver the home entertainment/media center experience that seemed to be the only point of the console. There have been so many changes from the introduction of the XBOne up to the Windows 10 event, that the console doesn't seem to have a clear consept.
So now, most of the "options" MS gives the XBOne owners don't seem to be thought-out and/or half-assed.

but then again... you seem to forget this could be used on Windows Phones too, which are not going to really going to get games with the quality of Xbox one any time soon. I am not talking about input devices, in the end, only because xbox one can be streamed to devices, it doesn't mean every game is multiplayer only, you could play single player games on your tablet.
I don't really get your point. Why would anyone want to play XBOne games on their phones?
I really liked the whole idea of Smart Glass. THAT is a good use for pairing your phone/tablet with your console.

but what about playing outside your house? there are many ways to fake it and be able to connect from outside your house. what if Microsoft allows you to do that and you can play outside your house xbox one games? have you thought about it?
Oh, come on! Really? Is being able to play some XBOne game on the go really worth having the console running while you're not home? (same goes remote access to a PC) Potential fire-hazard anyone? This is - hopefully! - not the next level of mobile gaming. And I bet it's going to drain the battery of your phone/tablet fast anyway. And for laptops...it's a PC, you can play hundreds of thousands of other games.

PC doesn't have games that xbox one does, so this is a way for you to play them, end. but I am sure Microsoft hopes developers will be able to integrate their games like MS is doing with Fable, and the multiplayer on PC and Xbox.
No, it's not! If you can play them now on your PC you already could play them on the XBOne you already own! If you want to play them on your PC but don't have a XBOne you have to buy one. This would be different if MS released an emulator to be able to put XBOne games in the optical drive of your PC and play them.
For the multiplayer part: this is totally different. Fable Legends will not require you to have/buy a XBOne to play it. The game will be released on PC. Don't care about the cross-platform multiplayer, but if it works out I think it's a great idea.

So only because you don't see the value and you would want to always sit on the couch. well... you should just forget "streaming" exists.
Because there is hardly any value. And the little value there is (using the console for gaming and media applications at the same time) will not work as flawless as people might imagine (it's a console with a freaking APU that's already hitting its limits in games - or why do you think Ubisoft, Activision and such are trying to make people think they make their games 30fps for the "cinematic experience"?).

I can give you another example how streaming could be useful for some people. you are in the middle of a match and then you have to go bathroom because you ate too much crap and you will be there for long time... would you rather drop the match that you are currently playing or it is going to start... or you would take 30 seconds to fully start your tablet or laptop and go to bathroom and continue playing there?
I am sure many would want to do this, I probably wouldn't but is that too bad for people to have options if they want to keep playing?
what about if you go to bed and you want to keep playing while you fall asleep?
I'd quit the match. If you're that addicted to a game that you HAVE to keep playing while sitting on the toilet (and if you'll be there for a long time I'd say you have bigger concerns at that moment than losing a match) then you should probably take a break from videogames for a while.
Streaming a live event (sports game and such) is another thing, I'd be totally okay with taking your tablet to the toilet for not missing something. But games....plus, we're talking multiplayer here. You have to keep the latency in mind (and I highly doubt that a tablet or laptop would be suitable for competitive gaming).

yeah you could see the value there or not. but it doesn't mean this could be useful sometime. you say about buying a new tv? well... but you can't take your xbox and tv and carry it outside on the roof to watch the stars or something. I am sure you will say my post doesn't make you think it's still useful, but like I said, people like you should forget about the feature and let other users be happy with it.
This just doesn't make any sense. None of it. Why would someone want to take their TV and console up to the roof?

it's like if I started complaining how useless it's virtual desktops to me, and Microsoft is making a big deal about it when it's not a big deal. I am sure it could be useful for many people, especially tablet users. but only because I don't find it "that" useful, it doesn't mean having it is bad or I would never get to use it.
That's exactly the point. MS doesn't make a big deal about virtual desktops. While the new - and quite boring/lacking - features get praised like they were revolutionary. It's just a feature. Stop the hype and don't expect a parade.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't read all of that. I've got that person on ignore because her posts are often rude in tone, if not outright hostile. However, I will say that calling streaming a fire hazard is rather crazy, in my opinion. I don't turn my PC off when I leave, never have, except when I've had to pull parts for someone (like a couple of weeks ago, when I had to let my dad borrow my memory while I tested his). People have done similar things for years, if not decades, and I don't recall an epidemic of bad PSUs bursting into flames. In fact, I haven't seen anything about that (not to say it hasn't happened, but I haven't seen it). In that same sense, I'm not worrying about a flaming console if I stream non-locally. The concern I would have is input lag. I suppose it wouldn't be any worse than trying to play a game with online multiplayer, but if your Internet is mediocre, meaning your upload speeds are crap, then it would probably be a pain.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I can't read all of that. I've got that person on ignore because her posts are often rude in tone, if not outright hostile. However, I will say that calling streaming a fire hazard is rather crazy, in my opinion. I don't turn my PC off when I leave, never have, except when I've had to pull parts for someone (like a couple of weeks ago, when I had to let my dad borrow my memory while I tested his). People have done similar things for years, if not decades, and I don't recall an epidemic of bad PSUs bursting into flames. In fact, I haven't seen anything about that (not to say it hasn't happened, but I haven't seen it). In that same sense, I'm not worrying about a flaming console if I stream non-locally. The concern I would have is input lag. I suppose it wouldn't be any worse than trying to play a game with online multiplayer, but if your Internet is mediocre, meaning your upload speeds are crap, then it would probably be a pain.

I'm pretty paranoid regarding the 'fire-harard' thing (in the area where I live have several old CRT TVs caught on fire in the past because they were on standby and the owners not at home). And my grandpa always put a triplesocket with an on/off switch between alls electronical devices. That being said, I would never leave anything on when I'm not at home (I even turn off the switch and modem).
That's also the reason why I wanted a PSU from a reputable brand, even if was more expensive than other brands. Not going to re-use the PSUs from my old PCs.
But I digress.

I have a feeling that MS is targeting the (picture-perfect) families since the XBOne (Netflix for the whole family, Kinect, etc.). This whole "streaming to other devices" and "using multiple applications at the same time". And most of those picture-perfect families aren't exactly of the tech-savvy kind, they don't think about things like latency and fall for the advertises that only show scenarios where everything works perfectly.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs