What to call Andromeda

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I suspect Microsoft will want to avoid words like "mobile" or "phone" when they release Andromeda. Or should I say, if they release Andromeda.

I absolutely believe they'll avoid calling it the Surface Phone. And I think they'll use the word cellular instead of mobile when discussing it's communication capabilities.

So what will they call it? And what kind of language will they use when Panos is up on stage announcing it to the world? My guess would be that Microsoft's PR/Marketing have spent countless hours pondering this.

Personally, I'd like to see them call it the Surface Courier, as a complimentary nod to it's origins.

What do you think they should call it?

waraukaeru

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Surface Flip

Surface Fold ("Come into the fold-- Surface Fold")

Surface Note (Uncomfortably close to Samsung Galaxy Note)

Surface Folio

I think they'd distance themselves from Courier. That story is depressing when you consider what could have been. And, arguably, what selling point of the device is personified by the word "courier"? Its selling point is not messaging or delivery. It's note taking, folding/expanding, transforming. Calling it courier would also seem pretty two-faced, since they pretty heartlessly trashed the concept and laid-off the team that was designing it. To come back years later and make the device they were originally designing? Cold.

I think there is a possibility they may not use the Surface moniker. Pretty unlikely considering everything from Surface Pro to Surface Hub has the name, but I don't think it's impossible they may just call it the Microsoft Fold. Leaves room to make a whole line of Folds. The Bi-Fold, the Tri-Fold, the Fold Laptop. A Fold Laptop sure could be cool...

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
If its one of those always connected devices maybe Surface Mobile Cloud.

Mobile doesn't always means phone.

Sent from mTalk

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
if they agree to call it phone then they should call it just

"Xphone" -> with xbox inspired little hunched circular logo like that old Sony Ericsson logo.

If they are firm on their decision to not to associate it with phone or mobile then they should use either

"SIDEKICK "-> cool alternative word for companion

OR

"ALLY"-> another good alternative word for companion

Last edited:

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how Microsoft is going to market this thing?

Whatever they end up calling it (and I'm still convinced they'll avoid the word mobile like the plague) it's going to be met with a lot of blank stares from people who don't follow Microsoft closely, which is about 99.99999999% of the world population.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's done this, but every time I try to explain this device to a 'normal person' all I get back is "oh, so it's a phone with 2 screens that folds. Cool. But, erm, why?"

I hit a new low yesterday when someone actually said: "so it's like a Nintendo 3DS....but without the games." Oh, Dear God :(

Trying to create a new market segment is going to be a challenge when you're dealing with people who don't know or care in the least about continuum, WoA, Cshell, digital inking or 3-in-1 computing.

jsjohnson1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
MS probably still owns the rights to all of Nokia's old TM's right? I'd really like it if they referred to it as the Surface Communicator.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
"surface sidekick" or just " sidekick" since it is gonna promoted as true companion device.

I loved how htc used to name their phones "radar,sansation,lagend ,hero,titan etc". Microsoft should adopt same approach imo.

I know it is not ganna happen but I really want Microsoft to design cool logo specifically for surface brand instead of boring four squares.
Xbox has its own logo then why can't they design something for surface?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It will basically be a 3 in 1. Desktop capable, tablet, and mobile device with telephony. I kinda feel it is an evolution from the Surface book at this point too.

I would call it something like Surface Book A3 (A for Andromeda 3 for the 3 in 1). This way it distinguishes it as part of the Surface Book family or an evolution of.

Another name I thought of a while back was the Surface Pad but that seems too much of a direct opponent to the iPad but who knows.

Maybe another name might be, Surface Mobile Evo or Surface Evo.

I suppose it depends on where they really want to go with the new category of device that this is suppose to be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99