What would happen if Apple released a Surface Pro 3?

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Apple is famous for "changing the game." How popular would an Apple version of the Surface Pro 3 be? Would the world react differently because of the Apple brand?

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Apple doesn't stray from what works for them. Microsoft is very brave for trying this and I hope it pays off but I'm not seeing it be successful. This forum us turning very android like troll threads and everything.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
1. It's the most innovative product ever. True genius
2. The media would tell you to go out and sell your Macbook and iPad so that you could upgrade to this. You only need one device
3. lololol MS Losers
4. Look at me take notes. I'm so much more freaking creative than any of you lowly peasants
5. 10,000+ compatible accessories will be launched by many companies at launch
6. lololol Google Losers
7. 2 million apps will be produced within the next 12 months
8. Duh! This was such an obvious idea. But only Apple was brave enough to try.
9. If I buy this, I might get laid
10. I liked Surface before it was cool

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
If apple released the SP3
1. Lines would wrap around cities, some would get to buy...others just hoping for a glimpse
2. The keyboard is great, and Apple has given consumers the option to buy it separately rather than packaging it. Thats the beauty of Surface, if you dont want the kb, it will perform superbly with its beautiful screen.
3. You can hold it up for hours reading books
4. While microsoft will be chasing the 8 inch market, apple has once again rewriting history in another category.
5. The Verge: The lapabilty is amazing.

liquidphantom

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Apple would never do it, it would be bad business for them to release a product that would effectively mean than their minions... sorry consumers would only have to buy one device rather than get a mac book and an ipad.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
It would cost $2000 for the baseline 64GB/4GB version.
That's what everyone thought when Apple announced the iPad. They thought it would start at $1000. Apple blew everyone away with a $400 base price.

In a Steve Jobs era Apple, such a device would be well-built well-designed and provide a basic but useful function. And with each generation, they'd engage in incrementalism to introduce new features.

But the current day Apple, they won't produce an Apple version of the Surface Pro 3... not until significant marketshare reflects the demand (as they did with the 7" tablet space). And THEN when they do, it'll leverage their existing infrastructure and ecosystem. There will be no "rebooting" of the product line.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
That's what everyone thought when Apple announced the iPad. They thought it would start at $1000. Apple blew everyone away with a $400 base price.

In a Steve Jobs era Apple, such a device would be well-built well-designed and provide a basic but useful function. And with each generation, they'd engage in incrementalism to introduce new features.

But the current day Apple, they won't produce an Apple version of the Surface Pro 3... not until significant marketshare reflects the demand (as they did with the 7" tablet space). And THEN when they do, it'll leverage their existing infrastructure and ecosystem. There will be no "rebooting" of the product line.

Youre not playing this game correctly ��

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I was saying that if it were produced now.

I don't really believe Apple would release anything mobile at this price and spec-point. Even they know that it's suicide for the product.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I use both PC and apple, and in the consumer market, apple clearly has the upper hand. The surface hardware is fantastic, but the OS, not so great. On a Mac, you can print to PDF and open PSDs. It also tells you if an app is ever misbehaving and using an unexpectedly large amount of cpu. It also includes productivity apps for free. (No need to install any apps). Surface you Ned to start purchasing apps to do the same and deal with their bloat.
Surfface, as a laptop replacement, it is more expensive than a mac because of the software you have to purchase and the keyboard you have to purchase. The niche is people who aren't price sensitive and don't mind spending the extra cash when compared to apple. It's a niche market.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

SchlepNT

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I use both PC and apple, and in the consumer market, apple clearly has the upper hand. The surface hardware is fantastic, but the OS, not so great. On a Mac, you can print to PDF and open PSDs. It also tells you if an app is ever misbehaving and using an unexpectedly large amount of cpu. It also includes productivity apps for free. (No need to install any apps). Surface you Ned to start purchasing apps to do the same and deal with their bloat.
Surfface, as a laptop replacement, it is more expensive than a mac because of the software you have to purchase and the keyboard you have to purchase. The niche is people who aren't price sensitive and don't mind spending the extra cash when compared to apple. It's a niche market.
Seeing that you have to buy Windows for a MacBook Air ($140) to operate in almost all corporate environments, I view them as equally priced. Difference being that the SP3 has a much higher resolution, touch screen, and pen input.

As far as the price of software, that is going to depend on what you want to do with either machine. Office is an extra expense on either. PhotoShop, Illustrator, Premiere, etc are going to be an extra expense for either.

If you're truly buying as a consumer and not for any professional use, then the MBA is going to be a bit cheaper due to not having to buy a keyboard for it, but again the resolution is much lower and it lacks touch/pen.

After that, though, the software is about the same. Libre Office is free, GIMP is free, there are plenty of iPhoto substitutes for free, and iTunes is the same on either platform if you use that.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If apple made the SP3, all the hardware would be made of inferior specs but it would be the same price if not more expensive. In exchange for lesser specs it will be the thinnest consumer device the marketing team bothered to know about, and they would aggressively campaign about how thinner is better than being able to do things.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Too much Apple envy in this forum, get over it. This isn't a game like baseball or soccer, it's technology. If you like the sp3 then buy it. No need to care what Apple people are doing. With that said you'd have to pry my rMBP from my cold dead fingers.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Too much Apple envy in this forum, get over it. This isn't a game like baseball or soccer, it's technology. If you like the sp3 then buy it. No need to care what Apple people are doing. With that said you'd have to pry my rMBP from my cold dead fingers.

If we are concerned with the competition, it carries into the company's goals and we get better products. IMO -.-

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
It would be a hit and apple will be lauded by some for "innovating" and criticized by others for copying. Not that different now with what they're doing, just look at the latest features of iOS and the notification center.

I agree with WillysJeepMan, Jobs created marketshare and demand, now they seem to be playing it safe. They keep promising that great products are in the pipelines.

I like apple it does have great products, but I also look for a product that best fits my need and not what logo is on the back :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb