What's happening with the Windows Central site and apps?

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Windows Central seems to have lost dark mode and support for comments. Windows and Android apps don't get new articles published after this change. Is this temporary or a permanent change?

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Windows Central seems to have lost dark mode and support for comments. Windows and Android apps don't get new articles published after this change. Is this temporary or a permanent change?

I don't know about dark mode but I noticed the comments missing too. The same with android central. Removing comment section seems to be the growing trend. Other tech sites also either dropped their comment section or disabling them for a lot of articles. The comment section for Windows and Android Central will not be totally missed since it was difficult to follow up on comments made. I for one will miss them because they do add to the articles and can be as informative as the articles.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I’m not sure what comments sections you are saying are missing, but I haven’t seen anything disappear. Let me know if you have any examples.

If you are wondering about the WindowsCentral and/or AndroidCentral apps - please see the announcement Bla1ze posted not long ago:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/s...-up-android-blog-forum-app-being-retired.html

used to be able to make comments at the end of articles in the blog section. No longer can do it since the redesign. This is on the webpage.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
used to be able to make comments at the end of articles in the blog section. No longer can do it since the redesign. This is on the webpage.

Wow.. I take one day away from checking the comments sections and miss the changeover. I heard this was coming, but didn’t realize the trigger was getting pulled already.

So, from my understanding the comments section will be back but the new site owners, Future, will be using Disqus service for commenting. If you want to see what the future of the sites (WindowsCentral, AndroidCentral, iMore) will look like… I’m pretty sure you can look at tomshardware.com (which used to be a great site back in the day).

Annie_M

Jan 31, 2019
Visit site
Wow.. I take one day away from checking the comments sections and miss the changeover. I heard this was coming, but didn’t realize the trigger was getting pulled already.

So, from my understanding the comments section will be back but the new site owners, Future, will be using Disqus service for commenting. If you want to see what the future of the sites (WindowsCentral, AndroidCentral, iMore) will look like… I’m pretty sure you can look at tomshardware.com (which used to be a great site back in the day).

iMore has yet to be converted, but Android Central has. Change is hard!

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Dark mode option working and I think new articles are published regularly. Try updating your Windows Central App...

You're lucky. I've not had any updates on anything (forums, articles, etc.) in over a week. It's very disappointing as this was one app I would visit multiple times a day. Now, there's no point. I'm considering uninstalling it permanently.

BTW, how do you suggestion updating the app? I expect any update to be automatic.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You're lucky. I've not had any updates on anything (forums, articles, etc.) in over a week. It's very disappointing as this was one app I would visit multiple times a day. Now, there's no point. I'm considering uninstalling it permanently.

BTW, how do you suggestion updating the app? I expect any update to be automatic.

Hi Doctor_Who,

There unfortunately are no more updates for the app as it has been discontinued and pulled from the store. You can find full information in the article on the front page. Yes, it's something that took everyone by surprise unfortunately.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
@HelloNNNewman, thank you for letting me know and especially for the link! I'll uninstall the app from my Android phone. I do use MS Edge on my phone, so I'll do what I can in order to get the PWA onto my phone's screen. (I've not done that before, so I might be back for help.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs