What's the deal with the 925 charging cover?

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I just swapped my cyan 920 for a white 925. I'm loving the feel of the 925 relative to the 920, so much lighter in the hand and pocket and the smoother, rounded edges are more comfortable if I'm holding it for long stretches. Also thrilled to be rid of AT&T.

However, there were a few things I found odd.

1. The Microsoft store was prohibited from showing devices from more than 3 carriers. This meant that the 925 was relegated to the back room and I had to have a rep dig one of just 2 left out. It also meant that they couldn't activate it, necessitating a trip to a Tmo store the next day.

2. They didn't carry the charging case at all. Neither did the Tmo store, and it didn't sound like they ever had.

3. In searching for the charging cover online, its really hard to find from a reputable source. Nokia, MS and Amazon don't seem to sell it, only no-name merchants.

What gives? Why does this phone and the cases that go with it seem to be the white whale of Lumia devices?

I also read a lot of reviews that seem to imply that the charging cases are a bit finicky and often defective. Is this true and has anyone had any experiences with them?

Is the case comfortable to hold and use? I miss the wireless charging option a bunch since I now have to fuss with the USB when I'm half asleep in the morning trying to snooze. But the case looks like it really might spoil the comfortablity of the phone in the hand and cause it to snag easily on clothes. Any first hand feedback on it?

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been running with a 925 for a couple of weeks now. I got the case and a charging plate free with the handset. I didn't think I'd bother with the case at first, but i keep it on all the time now. I find it is a little bit easier to hold the phone when fitted. I also appreciate the protection it affords the rear.

The charging function works flawlessly with my Nokia plate. It seems fairly tolerant of being off centre too.

As for the fitting/removal, getting it on is very simple. Getting it off is too, mostly, but is a little more awkward due to the case rigidity. It's not awkward enough to affect your decision though.

All in all, I would have sacrificed a mm of depth and a few grams of mass to have the wireless charging built in, but the cover is a tidy secondary solution, which i personally have no problems with.

Brenetics

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I really, REALLY...I mean REALLLLY want a Cyan version :unhappysweat:

I'm holding out in hopes off Nokia releasing one...probably won't happen though. Also, I don't know what color I want. I havent seen any in person, but I'm guessing that they're all matte?

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been running with a 925 for a couple of weeks now. I got the case and a charging plate free with the handset. I didn't think I'd bother with the case at first, but i keep it on all the time now. I find it is a little bit easier to hold the phone when fitted. I also appreciate the protection it affords the rear.

The charging function works flawlessly with my Nokia plate. It seems fairly tolerant of being off centre too.

As for the fitting/removal, getting it on is very simple. Getting it off is too, mostly, but is a little more awkward due to the case rigidity. It's not awkward enough to affect your decision though.

All in all, I would have sacrificed a mm of depth and a few grams of mass to have the wireless charging built in, but the cover is a tidy secondary solution, which i personally have no problems with.

Where did you get the cover?

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it will let me post the link but here goes:

http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories/nokia-lumia-925-wireless-charge-back-black.html

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am in the US, on Tmo with a newly purchased 925, but purchased my charging cover from Expansys. I don't use it much though, and I don't keep it on my phone unless I happen to need to charge my battery while using my wireless speaker. The cover adds back most of the weight I escaped when I stopped using my beloved L920, so it's not like I keep that thing on my phone all the time. I don't use wireless charging much at all anymore, actually, although with my 920 I charged wirelessly all the time. Also, and this is just an observation from my experience not a general one, but I had some problems with my phone (925, never the 920) running hot and it always seemed to happen after I used the wireless charger. Since I use it so infrequently, I can't say for sure that the two are related, but...well, I guess I am saying that I think that the two MIGHT be related...

I bought some hard back cases on eBay to help protect the lens cover on the back and those have worked great for me..no bulk added and the phone is still nice and light.

1Sick1500

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I Purchased my Charging cover and Plate off of Ebay. Had them both within a few weeks. Im on my Second 925 Due to a Bad speaker and have no issues with the wireless charging.

Even the Orlando FL Microsoft store had Tmo Branded 925s on display when i went to their store a few weeks ago. Front and center. They also had every other Nokia Device their.

D

Deleted member 199301

How solid does the case fit on it? I'm worried it might snap off during in pocket use?

1Sick1500

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It would not. Its actually very well made and strong. Ive had mine for a few weeks with no issues. Its actually kind of hard to get off. I would never worry about coming off in the pocket.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
1. The Microsoft store was prohibited from showing devices from more than 3 carriers. This meant that the 925 was relegated to the back room and I had to have a rep dig one of just 2 left out. It also meant that they couldn't activate it, necessitating a trip to a Tmo store the next day.
I keep seeing reports of this, yet I recall seeing all four (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon) represented the last time I made the trip to my nearest Microsoft Store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)