Whats your motivation to have / keep a Lumia 1520

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
It freezes with WP10? I really hope that's just because of the Preview and not also in the final WP10 version. Would be a shame if that great phone wouldn't work properly past WP 8.x

Sent from Tapatalk@Note4/OmegaRom1.2

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe because its extremely relevant as a worthy iPhone 6/6+ competitor spec & feature wise, despite it coming out late 2013... (making it a 2014 flagship IMO) Yet it still holds its own against 2015 flagships...

Also it's still the best windows phone to date alongside the 930/ICON until the Microsoft Flagship & Microsoft Flagship XL come out later this year :[

Two pretty good reasons...

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Also the white, black, and yellow Nokia Lumia 1520's have the same matte finish and feel the same... The red one is the odd one out with its glossy finish. Personally I think the Matte Finishes are more slippery... I've had each color, and the Glossy Red just has more resistance, like a squeaky rubber boot, while the matte colors are smoother and have less resistance...

meir602

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the 1520 since the release date.
I love the screen size, the speakers and I have had no problems at all.

I just hope they release another phone with the same dimensions.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
it would appeal the 1520 is one off those devices that's actually worth the cost swapping things like the display. Would i really care so much about putting in money to swap the display of my galaxy note 4? I doubt it.

Sent from tapatalk@note4/omegarom1.2

absolutely

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There is no other that equals it as of yet. 930/Icon and One M8 users might pretend, but I know they are just close to 1520.

Why?

That big screen and it's beautiful and crisp and easily seen in daylight.
That big battery that lasts and lasts. I tested it to the limits with super power use during my trip.
That big on megapixels camera.
That big processing power of the SD 800 SoC and 2 GB RAM.
That big storage capacity with 32 GB onboard and a microSD slot.
That big advantage of Lumia firmware.

1520 is still the big kid on the playground. I think it has big potential for the future and Win 10 Mo, which is the next big adventure my 1520 and I will make together.

1520 is still a big deal.

Don't let the m8 owners read this. Remember it is made of metal and it has a 801 processor so it is the best phone lmao.

Still the 930/icon is pretty much the same phone aside from a lack of glance and expandable storage so they can pretty much declare the same though for their phone.

I recently gave my 1520 away but it was given back as the person wanted to use a lumia 640 and is on T-Mobile now. I loved my 1520. It is the best windows phone.

Though the 640 xl is a close second in many ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
My motivation to have a 1520 from when I bought one in May 2015:

- 2 year contract with Samsung ATIV S was expiring in June 2015.

- No current phones available in Canada that I want / didn't want to "side-grade" to the 830 on contract.

- Desperately wanted a Nokia PureView camera device.

- Despite the 1520 not being sold in Canada, found RM-937 located a 45 minute drive away on Kijiji, brand new, barely used. The owner couldn't use it on Wind (need RM-938) so put it up for sale for a very fair price. RM-937 works on Bell, and even gets LTE in a few spots across Ontario, so it works well for me.

- Did not want to wait until October / November for the Windows 10 flagships and go another summer without a good camera on my phone.

My motivation to keep my Lumia 1520:

- I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!! (that says it all, doesn't it?)

- Spoiled by the 6" display. There is no turning back to smaller display sizes.

- I love the physical design and am worried that "Cityman" and "Talkman" will be too round like a 640 / iPhone / etc. Dan Rubino posted a comment that I remember seeing, saying that they will be round cornered devices. :unhappy: It's one thing if the hardware specs are great, but if the aesthetic design is "blah", it's a bit of a bummer.

- We'll see what the cameras on the Windows 10 flagships bring. They have to offer some sort of tech advantage, because we know that they won't be surpassing the 1520 / 930 in megapixel count. For now, a Lumia 1020 successor will be my planned upgrade over the 1520. I would trade display size for future camera tech / quality if it were a huge leap over the 1520's camera.

- Even though I'm an AMOLED guy, the LCD display on the 1520 has totally won me over, especially the sunlight readability. I'm still hoping that my next phone will be AMOLED though. :p

LONG LIVE THE NOKIA LUMIA 1520!

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Mine is an early production version and is essentially a piece of trash. Knowing what I know now, I would have waited for a later version. I do like the phone in a general way but it has far too many problems. On top of all its other problems, the battery became totally worthless with the Denim update and needs to be replaced. I ordered one and it's on the way, but I'm thinking I should just buy something else and crush this one.

I was hoping to hold out for the next flagship but I'm not sure I can wait any longer. There's no way I'm going to get an Android or iPhone though, so I'm not sure what to do. Maybe buy a cheapie or something.

Tl:dr = no.

Mario Flamenco

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I love my 1520, the big display is awesome!!! I use a huawei phone for work and I hate to use it since is so small, it's hard to type on it!

Also, I'm using windows 10 already on it, and is working great, it still needs some polishing but it's getting there =P

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had my current 1520 for the last year and a half. I do use a screen protector (Gorilla Glass 2 isn't as good). But the thing that amazes me is that a lot of people that see this phone still think it's a recently released device. It's a fun device, this is the longest I have had a WP device for (almost two years).

Also, the most recent Windows 10 Mobile build is much more stable and gives me great optimism. Typing this on the new Edge browser, which is smooth as silk, even on a preview! Recently, I was really tempted to buy the G4, I just couldn't imagine myself without he 1520 and i certainly won't be surprised if the 1520 and W10 will have me attached for another two years.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
After purchasing my USED 1520.3 for $400 I said " Well, either in gonna love it or hate it, but I'm stuck with it till W10." The 940XL looks appealing.. But if its not released in the states(or at a price I can justify to my wife) I see no reason to get rid of it. I've dropped it face down, out of the case, on rocks. Picked it up and went right back to use with it. I even had the misfortune of it being ran over by a large member of my family in a hoveround! Wanna guess what I'm posting this message from? Not a single issue since I got it. No phantom touch. No battery issues. No freezes. Well.. Except on W10TP but I stopped using that. I still think I got a smoking deal. Compared to the wife's Note4( Which has been giving her problems) I wouldn't trade it in for ANY phone out there. And both our phones are unlocked for global use. Planning a trip to Mexico...

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Well, to be fairly to the Note 4 i still have, it didn't really did anything bad I can remember. As soon as I was away from Stock Android 5.0 and to one of my favorite Custom Roms with 4.4.4 i never had any problems. But, and that's one of the reasons i got myself a WP, having Android for so long by now, i have become bored by it. I did my fiddling with things, jus whats Android best for and most flexible. But now I want to see something else for a change. After WP10 has come out and I have it on my 1520 (and hopefully like it enough to leave Android behind) i will sell my Note 4. But until then, i really like the Note 4 as I haven't the two Note models before that. But still, the 1520 is a heck of a device.

Today I got myself the DT-903 wireless charger (never had one before) and I wonder if its normal that they get soo hot?

Cheers

Wolfseye

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the same kinda questions. I have a note 4, and for all the bells and whistles it has, I'm tired of it freezing and lagging. I mean, each phone is the same thing.Thinking of adding a line to my wife's AT&T account, and 2 lines would be less than I'm paying with Verizon for one line. Was thinking of the 830 or 640so but also considering the 1520...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I have the same kinda questions. I have a note 4, and for all the bells and whistles it has, I'm tired of it freezing and lagging. I mean, each phone is the same thing.Thinking of adding a line to my wife's AT&T account, and 2 lines would be less than I'm paying with Verizon for one line. Was thinking of the 830 or 640so but also considering the 1520...

I have the 1520 and it's of course, great. Picked up a 640 from WalMart yesterday and I am stunned at how good it is for $79. I believe the official 640 release is tomorrow (7/20) so you should be able to find them most everywhere. WalMarts were selling them before they should have...as they do with every new Lumia. Nice.

I would get the 640 over the 830 all day long. I believe it's a better phone (save for Qi).

Also have a Note 4 as my main phone. Yes, I have three phones. Been with Android for many years, but always keep an eye on WP. When Cityman lands, I may convert full time...just not yet.

A bit off topic I guess, but I have AT&T for my personal line and Verizon provided by my work. I travel in VERY rural places (Wyoming, Montana, etc) and guess who has the better coverage and data speeds?

It's not big red. I use my personal phone for all conference calls because they just never drop. My Verizon iPhone isn't reliable at all where I travel. I maintain that AT&T is the better network and the fun thing is you just swap SIMs whenever you want to another phone. Verizon is getting better in this regard, but it's still CDMA (slow data on non-LTE, HSPA+ on GSM is very fast).

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

Freezing and lagging with Note 4? You use standard ROM and 5.x I assume?

Wolfseye

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have no issues, and no problems with my L1520.

Untill Microsoft comes with a decent "6 windows 10 contender i will stick with mine, because it is superior to every other device i've come across.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124