When will the Lumia 830 Denim update come out?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 830 Denim Udpate.

Hopefully its not the prototype device? If yes, send it to Microsoft for repair (till its in warranty). If its the carrier variant, get it replaced. The 830 does have some serious hardware/software combination issues. My RM-985 used to randomly reboot after a freeze almost every day. I got it replaced and since then no issues. I have also read the post Denim update did iron out the random reboot issue (outside of camera and stability improvements) but no where a stock RM-985 variant should be that unstable

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I bought the ATT variant the day it was released. I was told it came with Denim. That the full Denim update has still not been released, with no timetable, is terrible customer service. It's pretty outrageous I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I bought the ATT variant the day it was released. I was told it came with Denim. That the full Denim update has still not been released, with no timetable, is terrible customer service. It's pretty outrageous I think.

AT&T has at least released the Denim update for the 1520. I guess the 830 would be next (or at least not the last on their list). My guess would be next week the AT&T variant would get the update, way before the unlocked RM-985 variants do

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Hopefully its not the prototype device? If yes, send it to Microsoft for repair (till its in warranty). If its the carrier variant, get it replaced. The 830 does have some serious hardware/software combination issues. My RM-985 used to randomly reboot after a freeze almost every day. I got it replaced and since then no issues. I have also read the post Denim update did iron out the random reboot issue (outside of camera and stability improvements) but no where a stock RM-985 variant should be that unstable

No prototype here... Still got 7-8 months on my warranty so hopefully Denim will show up before then LOL, just would be nice to have it so I'd know if it will or will not resolve some of these issues and then we can go from there. If the wait is too much longer I might just send it in but the turnaround is like a month and they usually just send back the same device, when I had issues with my 1020 after 8 days of owning (camera crapped out) I had to fight tooth and nail for 2+ months before they'd replace it with a new one, was such a headache that I'd prefer not to go through that again.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Just of note, I've done the soft/hard resets in the past and have never seen any sort of improvements whatsoever in the phones operation.
The issues you're experiencing don't sound like the type of thing we could normally solve with a hard-reset. I also wouldn't expect Denim to solve many of those issues. I agree with pankaj981. Exchange it if you can. I can't test the phone's battery drain while turned off tonight (need it on standby), but I will take a look ASAP.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I had to fight tooth and nail for 2+ months before they'd replace it with a new one, was such a headache that I'd prefer not to go through that again

Well waiting for that long sucks. My prototype device got replaced in a day, lol. They did mention that the hardware was bad (that looked a standard reason to replace a prototype) and had to be replaced. Got an unlocked RM-985 variant as a replacement, it has been rock solid since day 1.

I also wouldn't expect Denim to solve many of those issues

There are quite a few posts in the bugs and defects thread about the issues on the RM-984 variants completely (or close) gone after the post Denim update. But I agree, replacing the phone would be a wise option. The previous Windows Phones I owned never had these issues so owning a phone this unstable really freaked me out...but that was just me.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

AT&T has at least released the Denim update for the 1520. I guess the 830 would be next (or at least not the last on their list). My guess would be next week the AT&T variant would get the update, way before the unlocked RM-985 variants do

As I follow the release of Denim there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern other than a lot of lower-end devices that can't utilize most of the features got it first, wouldn't be a bit surprised if it doesn't take another month or so before all the 830 variants get it. Here in Canada not a single Lumia that I am aware of have gotten the update, I guess we are just small potatoes which is pretty much true, just think they could have implemented the rollout out much better.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Well waiting for that long sucks. My prototype device got replaced in a day, lol. They did mention that the hardware was bad (that looked a standard reason to replace a prototype) and had to be replaced. Got an unlocked RM-985 variant as a replacement, it has been rock solid since day 1.

I'm dealing with another outlet (same carrier) and they seem to be more assertive in that they are for the consumer, just might have better luck so we'll see.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Pankaj, why don't you just flash a NA varient to your Lumia 920? Isn't it easier to get the update + you don't lose any bands??:amaze:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Elky64, what ROM are you on, Latin American or North American? Pankaj and a5cent gave you good advice, but just trying to further troubleshoot your freeze/reboot issue since I dealt with it on multiple Lumia 830s and was able to isolate the cause between software and hardware.

If you're on the NAM ROM (probably purchased from the Microsoft Store) and the phone is totally freezing prior to rebooting, there is a good chance it's hardware-related as the awesome members in this forum have helped me determine that the latest NAM firmware is quite stable. However, mine was rebooting every day (at least once). Seems to happen less frequently for you. But the 830s I had that would just quickly jump into airplane mode and reboot (no freezing) seemed to be OK hardware-wise, in hindsight. It's the freezing before the reboot that could be the sign that it's caused by hardware.

I was able to swap mine out since it hadn't been 30 days yet. Otherwise, I would have probably just waited for Denim to see if it's fixed and avoid the hassle of going through support. If going to the store and swapping it out isn't an option and you're on the Latin America (LAM) ROM, maybe wait for Denim to see if it's fixed.

If you're on the NAM ROM, this shouldn't be happening. Maybe an occasional reboot without freezing (you'll see the airplane mode icon pop up briefly on the top-left of your screen before the phone reboots), but nothing more. If you're sure it's freezing prior to rebooting (I mean the screen completely frozen, not just unresponsive as it switches to airplane mode and reboots), get the phone replaced through support.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

When I asked ATT last week on Twitter, I was told they have nothing to report, or something like that. They gave me no expectation it was any time soon. More like don't hold your breath.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Elky64, what ROM are you on, Latin American or North American? Pankaj and a5cent gave you good advice, but just trying to further troubleshoot your freeze/reboot issue since I dealt with it on multiple Lumia 830s and was able to isolate the cause between software and hardware.

If you're on the NAM ROM (probably purchased from the Microsoft Store) and the phone is totally freezing prior to rebooting, there is a good chance it's hardware-related as the awesome members in this forum have helped me determine that the latest NAM firmware is quite stable. However, mine was rebooting every day (at least once). Seems to happen less frequently for you. But the 830s I had that would just quickly jump into airplane mode and reboot (no freezing) seemed to be OK hardware-wise, in hindsight. It's the freezing before the reboot that could be the sign that it's caused by hardware.

I was able to swap mine out since it hadn't been 30 days yet. Otherwise, I would have probably just waited for Denim to see if it's fixed and avoid the hassle of going through support. If going to the store and swapping it out isn't an option and you're on the Latin America (LAM) ROM, maybe wait for Denim to see if it's fixed.

If you're on the NAM ROM, this shouldn't be happening. Maybe an occasional reboot without freezing (you'll see the airplane mode icon pop up briefly on the top-left of your screen before the phone reboots), but nothing more. If you're sure it's freezing prior to rebooting (I mean the screen completely frozen, not just unresponsive as it switches to airplane mode and reboots), get the phone replaced through support.

Hi hasasimo,

My rom is North American w/build creation date of 2014-09-12, getting pretty long in the tooth now.

Yes it appears my phone just freezes (totally unresponsive) then a few seconds later it reboots, not a regular occurrence with some long stretching in between before it does it again, can't say I've noticed if it switches into into airplane mode so will have to remember to check that out next time it happens.

Will look into exchanging it but pretty much know where that will take me at this point, they'll say we couldn't find anything wrong and I'll get it back as it was, be lucky to even see a refurbished unit as a replacement. In the 17 years of owning a cell my experiences upon having a problem hasn't been good, out of the four occasions in all those years that support was needed it was like pulling hens teeth to get any satisfaction, only once did I succeed and just barely then.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The situation in Canada is indeed worse that here in the US....my 920 from Rogers is waiting for the Denim firmware too

Yeah I don't understand why we are always lagging behind considering that some of today's greatest technology's were developed here in Canada by Canadian minds, it seems we're always miles behind playing out in left field twiddling our fingers.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Pankaj, why don't you just flash a NA varient to your Lumia 920? Isn't it easier to get the update + you don't lose any bands??:amaze:
Well the only NA variants I am aware of are the Rogers and AT&T. Flashing the AT&T ROM will break the AWS bands, plus it might screw up the pentaband LTE (not sure about this one though). There are no unbranded 920 NA ROMs but there are unbranded LTA ROMs (BR, MX, AR, etc.) but considering MS hasn't rolled out Denim to most of the NA/LTA devices there is no point to flash any of them at this point

When I asked ATT last week on Twitter, I was told they have nothing to report, or something like that. They gave me no expectation it was any time soon. More like don't hold your breath.

Well most of the support staff don't know much about their support domain anyways, I won't be surprised if an update drops sometime tomorrow or Tuesday

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
this is the response I got back after contacting MS Mobile Support:

Thank you for emailing Microsoft Mobile Device Support.
We understand your disappointment and sentiments as your device has no enhanced camera features that are available for the Lumia Denim software. In response to this, we would like to inform you that are working with AT&T on a software update to bring the benefits of the Lumia Camera app to their Lumia 830 customers and improve Wi-Fi discoverability. Right now, you can still enjoy the Lumia Classic Camera app which is also available from the Windows Store.
We appreciate your patience and further solicit your understanding.

To me at least this doesn't look like a boilerplate email. Hope something happens soon.
cheers

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

Thx hasasimo for taking the time...

Yes it freezes prior to reboot, when it suddenly becomes unresponsive it's pretty assured a reboot is imminent, it is not like a weekly occurrence and at one point I think it went 7-8 weeks before it showed up again, has happened twice since that long stretch... Can say out of them all it has been mostly while using the WC app, not sure if that means anything or not.

Ay, mine does this also. Ironically, it once rebooted while I was replying in the "830 random reboot" thread...
Reboots are not very frequent, can do a whole week without having one, then twice in a day, it's... (wait for it...) RANDOM !

Haven't found a common trigger, it's occurred a few time in the WC app, but that could be pure coincidence considering I'm in it very often.
It's a RM-985_1000 from Fido, Canada.

Sachin A

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
As per Asia-Pacific Tracker Page, Lumia 830 in India receiving "much needed" Denim update OS - 8.10.14234.375, FW - 02040.00021.15063.02002
But Lumia Software Recovery Tool, Navifirm showing old version. Whether Microsoft India trolling Lumia 830 users? I have installed W10 Preview on my Lumia 830. But checking for updates showing me nothing. Should I roll back to 8.1 and get denim?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulnipes