where are the headphones or earpiece for voice ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Not that I have problem with a better tech in headsets but, WTF did they do that ? So everyone has to buy a new headset ? Microsoft should include one in the box, crap the Xbox 360 came standard with one, for $500 it should just come with a basic headset.

I hate having people talking through my home theater speakers with the kinect, nevermind I have children in the house and you know you will always get "bad" words on the room chats..

Where is the 3rd party adapter to use old headsets with the X1 controler ? You know that will be out there...

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I just went through the process of pre-ordering another one and I didn't see any mention of a headset. Hmm.. maybe they took it out? I am absolutely positive that during the process of preordering one, maybe before, during, or after, that there was mentioned of a bundled headset.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its a bit of a pain to be sure and I don't see why they couldn't include their own standard headset as with the 360, especially if its apparently a "necessary" accessory.

I tend to go for third party headsets anyway so would be buying a set of turtle beaches or whatever tritton offers at launch.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There's a mic built in with the kinect.

8X using Tapatalk

Ever experienced talking to someone using the Kinect? It sounds like the person's talking from 40 miles away. Oh, and the darned Kinect picks up the TV audio, so you have to listen to all of the bullets your brother-in-law is firing during a Call of Duty match while trying to communicate with him.

Of course, you'll also hear his dog barking from upstairs, because the Kinect picks up EVERYTHING.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ever experienced talking to someone using the Kinect? It sounds like the person's talking from 40 miles away. Oh, and the darned Kinect picks up the TV audio, so you have to listen to all of the bullets your brother-in-law is firing during a Call of Duty match while trying to communicate with him.

Of course, you'll also hear his dog barking from upstairs, because the Kinect picks up EVERYTHING.
They've improved it to filter out TV audio, filter out background noise, and focus on voice. I'm not going to look up the video links though for where I saw it demonstrated. I'll let you know how it works when I get it. Although yes, I do imagine it'll sound like a speakerphone and far away.

Also, on the xbox.com website, it says what is included in the box:

Xbox One
Day One Edition

Whats included:

Xbox One console
Kinect sensor
Commemorative controller
Exclusive achievement
HDMI Cable

Xbox One | Reserve Your Day One Edition - Xbox.com

You can scroll down to the very bottom of the page if you want to see the new headset... though it's not included. If it was included just because it's on the bottom of that page, they'd also have to include the 12 month subscription and all 4 launch games above it :p Anyway, they were pretty clear that there's no headset. Which sucks... the headset included in my old Elite console (since replaced) is still working to this day. Far superior to the newer crud they came out with that had volume controls on the cord. Who was the genious who thought up that? Glad they've moved volume and mute controls back down to the area where it plugs into the controller (This was discussed and shown during one of the Live @ E3 games shown on the Xbox - still floating around somewhere)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That current headsets won't work screams "money grab" to me. They could have likely kept compatibility and still improved quality, if simply improving audio quality on new products was their goal. Instead, it seems like they want to make all current peripherals incompatible so our investments are essentially worthless.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That current headsets won't work screams "money grab" to me. They could have likely kept compatibility and still improved quality, if simply improving audio quality on new products was their goal. Instead, it seems like they want to make all current peripherals incompatible so our investments are essentially worthless.

I too think its a bit money grabbing - but playing devils advocate - if the xbox one becomes the centre of your living room and the 360 is relegated to another room wouldn't it make sense to create additional peripherals that weren't compatible? Saves having to go from room to room on a hunt for a headset. Same thing goes for the new controllers. Personally I would rather have everything for the two consoles separate. My investment isn't worthless as it will still get used.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I too think its a bit money grabbing - but playing devils advocate - if the xbox one becomes the centre of your living room and the 360 is relegated to another room wouldn't it make sense to create additional peripherals that weren't compatible? Saves having to go from room to room on a hunt for a headset. Same thing goes for the new controllers. Personally I would rather have everything for the two consoles separate. My investment isn't worthless as it will still get used.

I don't like the idea of having to own 2 headsets and 8 controllers. As has been mentioned, it sounds like the HDMI pass-through capabilities can be used to connect to the 360, meaning it could sit in the same room as the One and be played through it. In that case, you've got to find room for up to 8 controllers in one room. Heck, in my case, I currently own AT LEAST 6 360 controllers (2 are wired and used primarily for my PC, and one is basically worn beyond usability). I have my 360 in my room. If I get a One, it will also be in my room. Finding space for 2 consoles and 8 controllers (probably just going to get a pair this generation) will be a BIT of a pain.

I'd rather have to grab my headset from the other room when it cost $60 (wanted one that was PC-compatible), rather than have to buy another one.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the idea of having to own 2 headsets and 8 controllers. As has been mentioned, it sounds like the HDMI pass-through capabilities can be used to connect to the 360, meaning it could sit in the same room as the One and be played through it. In that case, you've got to find room for up to 8 controllers in one room. Heck, in my case, I currently own AT LEAST 6 360 controllers (2 are wired and used primarily for my PC, and one is basically worn beyond usability). I have my 360 in my room. If I get a One, it will also be in my room. Finding space for 2 consoles and 8 controllers (probably just going to get a pair this generation) will be a BIT of a pain.

I'd rather have to grab my headset from the other room when it cost $60 (wanted one that was PC-compatible), rather than have to buy another one.

I agree with you - When I upgrade my 360 will be running through the hdmi on my pc monitor so its still going to be in the same room as well - and like you I currently have a box with 3 wireless controllers, 1 wired, two headsets and my games all out of sight - that's not going to change when I get the Xbox one. Im going to now have to find space for two new controllers and a new headset like yourself.

I was just trying to give a slightly skewed take on the reality that MS think will exist when the Xbox one gets released to try and justify getting a separate headset

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you - When I upgrade my 360 will be running through the hdmi on my pc monitor so its still going to be in the same room as well - and like you I currently have a box with 3 wireless controllers, 1 wired, two headsets and my games all out of sight - that's not going to change when I get the Xbox one. Im going to now have to find space for two new controllers and a new headset like yourself.

I was just trying to give a slightly skewed take on the reality that MS think will exist when the Xbox one gets released to try and justify getting a separate headset

I know wireless controller will not work between consoles, but I wonder if wired 360 controllers will. Is their instruction set too different to be accepted by the One, or is the incompatibility with the wireless controllers solely about their wireless technology? Given that x86 PCs can receive the instructions from the 360 controllers, I'd imagine that the One is CAPABLE of doing the same, if Microsoft wants it to. Maybe using the wireless receiver for PCs could be a fix to wireless controller compatibility with the One and the 360 wireless controllers as well.

If those things aren't possible (wired 360 controllers on One or wireless receiver and wireless 360 controller on One), then I can't help but believe that they deliberately didn't want to allow compatibility to boost accessory sales.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know wireless controller will not work between consoles, but I wonder if wired 360 controllers will. Is their instruction set too different to be accepted by the One, or is the incompatibility with the wireless controllers solely about their wireless technology? Given that x86 PCs can receive the instructions from the 360 controllers, I'd imagine that the One is CAPABLE of doing the same, if Microsoft wants it to. Maybe using the wireless receiver for PCs could be a fix to wireless controller compatibility with the One and the 360 wireless controllers as well.

If those things aren't possible (wired 360 controllers on One or wireless receiver and wireless 360 controller on One), then I can't help but believe that they deliberately didn't want to allow compatibility to boost accessory sales.

Yeah surely it would just be a driver download the same as PC for wired controllers to work and as its running a version of windows 8 anyway...

Making new accessories incompatible with previous versions has always been a money spinner - not just for MS but for third party suppliers as well. In some ways its a pain, but some of the controllers and accessories from third parties are often better than the originals and obviously it keeps them in business. Some third party is also bound to come up with a converter as well.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say "bound to," given that we didn't see it happen with the Xbox-to-360 capability, did we? I think that if these new controllers really ARE an upgrade, then they should be able to stand on that merit and sell on the facts. However, they really should let the 360 controllers work because some people might not prefer the new ones, and some of the third-party controllers might not make a return or get better. For example, I love my AirFlo controller (mostly used for PC stuff), but I doubt one gets released on the One (at least in the near-future, considering how long it took for me to notice them on 360). I'd like to still be able to use that as my backup controller. I occasionally forget my controller at my sister's house, and I use the AirFlo one when that happens. I don't plan on buying 2 controllers at the start of my time with the One, so I'd like some way to make use of the plethora of 360 peripherals I still have.

Really, though, they need a way to make wired headsets work on the One (the 360 ones, of course). I've got a wired Turtle Beach that I don't want to have to spend another $60 to replace. In fact, I simply might not.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read that Turtle Beach (and others like them) were working with Microsoft on an adapter for their wired headsets...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss