Where do you see mobile phones in 10 years time?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Remember over 10 years ago when the top of the range phone could only play snake? Or when you had to dial expensive numbers just to get your fav ringtone or band logo to appear in black and white on the old Nokia phones. 10 years later and look at all the stuff we can do now. What do you think mobile phones will have in 10 years time from now?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Remember over 10 years ago when the top of the range phone could only play snake? Or when you had to dial expensive numbers just to get your fav ringtone or band logo to appear in black and white on the old Nokia phones. 10 years later and look at all the stuff we can do now. What do you think mobile phones will have in 10 years time from now?

We might not even have phones in 10 years, possibly technologies like Google Glass become more popular.

Or maybe Project Ara becomes more popular? Where you can just keep updating your phone's part one by one.

But if phones do exist by that time, I would imagine that they become just as powerful as PCs of that time and most phones, even low-end ones, sport spectacular cameras.

Anyways, thinking about the future kinda creeps me out anyways. :p

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have practically the best smartphone technology of 2004 right here on my desk! (ah, 10 years ago, i was probably still fiddling with my dad's PDA)
treo650.jpg
With a whopping single core 312 MHz Intel XScale PXA270, 32 MB of flash memory (no longer loses data when the battery dies!) as opposed to using RAM as storage, a beautiful 2.7" 320x320, 16-bit TFT resistive touch display, a 0.3 MP camera, an IR port, Palm OS 5.4.8, and 2G connectivity! But wait! There's more! At a svelte 0.9" thin, it features a full-size SD card slot that requires a tweak to accept 4+ GB SDHC cards, but it also takes Wi-Fi cards! Not to mention the stock battery stacks in at 1800 mAh!

(admittedly, it probably wasn't the best it could be, don't think Palm really figured out thin back then)

10 years from now? Hoo boy, I'm not expecting transparent phones or anything star-trekky, but I don't think I can really predict it. Although I would guess they'd be very similar to phones today as we bump up against the ceiling of diminishing returns.
Unless a giant paradigm shift occurs, something that puts the original iPhone's unveiling to shame.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I have practically the best smartphone technology of 2004 right here on my desk! (ah, 10 years ago, i was probably still fiddling with my dad's PDA)
View attachment 79938
With a whopping single core 312 MHz Intel XScale PXA270, 32 MB of flash memory (no longer loses data when the battery dies!) as opposed to using RAM as storage, a beautiful 2.7" 320x320, 16-bit TFT resistive touch display, a 0.3 MP camera, an IR port, Palm OS 5.4.8, and 2G connectivity! But wait! There's more! At a svelte 0.9" thin, it features a full-size SD card slot that requires a tweak to accept 4+ GB SDHC cards, but it also takes Wi-Fi cards! Not to mention the stock battery stacks in at 1800 mAh!

(admittedly, it probably wasn't the best it could be, don't think Palm really figured out thin back then)

10 years from now? Hoo boy, I'm not expecting transparent phones or anything star-trekky, but I don't think I can really predict it. Although I would guess they'd be very similar to phones today as we bump up against the ceiling of diminishing returns.
Unless a giant paradigm shift occurs, something that puts the original iPhone's unveiling to shame.

Wow...that is one heck of a PDA....never had one before but looks way ahead of its time back then

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
We might not even have phones in 10 years, possibly technologies like Google Glass become more popular.

Or maybe Project Ara becomes more popular? Where you can just keep updating your phone's part one by one.

But if phones do exist by that time, I would imagine that they become just as powerful as PCs of that time and most phones, even low-end ones, sport spectacular cameras.

Anyways, thinking about the future kinda creeps me out anyways. :p

I did see a ttransparent glass phone from google if tthat what you mean. It looks nice and I can see how that would be the future

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't think people will be carrying smartpones in 10 years from now.

A small lense (no glasses) that will project the screen in front of the human eye when needed is my guess.

However, there is going to be a divide between people embracing this kind of change and people not willing to drive technology that far.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
For some reason I was just remembering that day back in 1985, (I was still in my teens) when I went to my favorite record and tape store, only to find out ALL of the vinyl records and cassette tapes had been replaced by these shiny compact discs! CDs they called them... We were all forced into a tech upgrade and had to buy CD players. Nobody wanted to do it at first, but once we realized how much better it sounded and how much more convenient they were (what? You can just hit the button and skip to next song???), we just had to have it! There was no great tech divide there..

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
We'll all probably just have a "connected" smartcard that rules our lives in less than 10 years.

One huge attraction to the smartphone is the connection we make by holding and stroking the device.

We will most likely always have to have something to interact with and that will be the smartcard.
It will be thin and stylish, it will be wearable, it will be customizable and it will be smart and make humans instantly smarter.
The smartcard will be you in digital form you will use the card to plug yourself into digital tasking or content everywhere you go.
The card will enable and connect to your car, your home, your clothing or anything that subscribes to your whims and desires as requested by you.

Pretty much just what we have now except in credit card form and they will be free from all providers
In the future we will all depend so much more on services than care about devices.
Yet we will still want something to carry and hold onto...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)