Which has a better design Lumia 800 or 900

iFalcon

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
In the USA, where is everyone getting the 800 for a reasonable price? I just did a quick check on EBay and most cost more than the 900 full price. (~500).

-Rich

I don't know where you are seeing that on Ebay. My is brand new and went for 360 shipped. I see several that sell throughout the day in the 350-375 range.

jsntrenkler

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I have both 800 and 900 and prefer the 900. Putting the 800 on Craigslist unless someone here wants to make a offer. I prefer the LTE connectivity and larger screen on the 900.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The curved glass on the 800 definitely looks nicer, it's really one of the nicer parts of the design, I was a little disappointed when I saw it didn't make it to the 900.

However, I'd gladly sacrifice the curved glass for 4G LTE speed, a much more robust battery and the clear black SuperAMOLED+ screen. It's arguably the nicest screen on ANY phone right now between Samsung's SuperAMOLED+ and Nokia's clear black polarization. I've seen it side-by-side and the 900's screen has much deeper, richer color than the 800's screen. The curved glass is a minor cosmetic point as opposed to the other features which are functional.

That trade off makes the decision easy.

If Nokia could just find a way to keep the screen size the same and make the phone just a *little* shorter, by a 1/2 inch or so, it would be perfect.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking the exact same thing. I just came back from an AT&T store to check out the 900 for the first time. and boy am I glad I got the 800 a few weeks back.
I made my decision based on some of the reviews I read in terms of the design and quality feel of the 800 over the 900 and everything I've read is true, at least to me.

Despite not having a bigger screen and front facing camera, I still am very happy with the 800. coming from an iPhone 4, the huge screen (which is really nice) was not for me. Also, the bezel that wraps around the 900's screen is hideous (sorry).

all in all, both are great phones but I agree with you guys the 800 feels much more premium and it's what they should've released as the hero phone in my opinion. or at least found some way to mimic it's build w/ the 900.

Problem is that they could never release a phone without 4G LTE in the United States and position it as a hero phone. Only Apple can get away with that and even Apple is going to have to implement LTE in the iPhone 5 to stay competitive.

As far as the materials, I couldn't tell a difference holding both in my hands. They are made out of exactly the same polycarbonate and both have Gorilla Glass. There is no doubt the curved glass looks way nicer though. The bezel just looks like an afterthought once you've seen the 800 with that nice liquid looking curve.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have both 800 and 900 and prefer the 900. Putting the 800 on Craigslist unless someone here wants to make a offer. I prefer the LTE connectivity and larger screen on the 900.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

what color is your 800?

I might pick it up for the right price just because :)

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I always lay my cellphones screen down. Most reviews of the 900 say the "glass is raised" above the polycarbonate body of the phone. Not true as you guys probably realize. I think the bezel on the 900 is for laying the phone on the screen side. The glass won't touch whatever surface you lay it on. My DVP was similar. It had a rubberized top and bottom and there was a "ledge" that would touch before the screen. It's seems obvious to me that these were conscience design considerations. The Dell Venue Pro was a great cellphone (except for the weak camera, but it wasn't horrible) and we all know how great at industrial design Nokia is. Just a thought...
-joe-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss