who has a Samsung Ativ S???

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm just wonderin. if anybody in this forum. has a Samsung Ativ S??

if you do.
  • how is the feel?,
  • how big is it?
  • what exclusive apps are there?
  • how good is the screen?
  • and how is the photos and videos?

need help because my friend is an Samsung ****** and he wants a Samsung Ativ S

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got one a couple hours ago. The screen is great, even though I can see the pentile... Feels great in hand even though it's HUGE. It takes great indoor shots. Only thing I don't care for is the physical home button, since I'm used to the capacitive ones. (press vs light tap) And a Samsung ****** won't mind anyway, since pretty much all their devices have them. It's a great phone so far that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, even to fans of other OEMs. It even feels premium, not like "cheap" plastic.

UPDATE: Major disappointment when I plugged in my headphones and turned on the music. Sound is thin with no bass. Music is my life. I might return it...

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It's a sub-pixel layout. Non-pentile screens use a RGB layout. (red green blue) Pentile uses RGBG (extra green sub-pixel in each pixel). The advantage is green is the most easily perceivable color to the human eye, so you can use lower brightness levels to save battery. The downside is it can create subtle diagonal lines on a white background. Most people won't notice it even on large screens with lower resolutions, but my eyesight is off the charts. It's not bad... I just notice it. It's the same screen as the Galaxy S3.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
hi freestaterocker, i've been holding back getting 920 for the ATIV S, but if what you say is true about sound/music quality is that bad, I'd be really dissapointed as this is very important for me too. I'd appreciate if you can elaborate a little bit about this. What kind of head phone or ear phone you use and have you look at the settings if there's any equalizers that may help. Have you compared the sound using other headphones? Maybe you'd want to get another headphone before returning the phone because earphone such as Sennheiser CX300 have a bit more bass that may help in this case. Can you try with different earphones?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't found any kind of EQ anywhere in the settings, and I tried it first with the headphones that came with it, which I frankly expected to suck. Then I tried it with a high level set of Sony ear buds that sounded fantastic on my HD7 even with the sound enhancer off. I'm no "Beats" guy, but the sound had no bass and was very thin. Music honestly sounds better through the loudspeaker than it did through my Sonys. Currently there is no EQ apps available in the WP Store, and I'm probably stuck with the phone, as I don't want another HTC, and I can't afford an unlocked 920 until my tax return.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks freestaterocker,

What a dissapointment. I wonder what samsung was thinking. Before this, what I worried the most (coming from HTC) is that Samsung has a very bad reputation for updating their phones. I know how terrible the feeling of not getting the upgrade when everyone else is getting it.

I'm still hoping this is fixable by either software (EQ) or new firmware though. Sound quality is just as important to me, but HTC 8X is too limited in features for me (16GB, no SD). May be HTC Titan 3 ???

Thanks

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Nokia fixed the same problem with the 800 with firmware. I'm gonna call Samsung and threaten to return it and get a 920. And tell them every music lover is probably gonna do the same thing. Maybe if a few other forumers do likewise they'll get on a fix.

jamspooon

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
so this is the guy that announced the ativ at the samsung event, we should try to email him
Damian Cusick
General Manager at Samsung Electronics
United KingdomConsumer Electronics
anyone been able to track down an email?

music is by far the most important feature i'm looking for. i have a pair of jh audio iem's and i do not wat to feed them sub quality audio. i listened to the lumia 920 and the htc 8x, 920 was better to me. i really love the storage capabilities the ativ presents.have you started a thread about this issue?

adamantinepiggy

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully not a Nokia thing only, but I have an headphone EQ adjust under "settings", "audio". Hopefully, Ativ also has that setting?

Edit: Sorry NM. Read in diff post that Ativ did not have EQ like Nokia.. New guy on forum syndrome...

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Poor audio playback is most definitely a deal-breaker for me. What a disappointment. :unhappy:

Let's hope Sammy release an integrated sound EQ like HTC did for the HD7.

Shindou

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have one, well two (which I don't need). I find the Samsung Ativ S beautiful, it's a great phone and its design is too. Its weight feels great in the hand.

Mankku

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is known that the audio output through headphones is loud, isn't it? So any distortion at high volumes? I'd like to know if the sound output is really mediocre or average, good, have only an SE X10 mini to compare to which audio is OK. I've tried the Lumia 920 through basic earbud headphones and playing music through Nokia Music did not impress me.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It is known that the audio output through headphones is loud, isn't it? So any distortion at high volumes? I'd like to know if the sound output is really mediocre or average, good, have only an SE X10 mini to compare to which audio is OK. I've tried the Lumia 920 through basic earbud headphones and playing music through Nokia Music did not impress me.

Audio is loud and clear with no noticeable distortion. Just not as full and robust in terms of the lows and mids as I'd come to enjoy with my previous phone, the HTC HD7. Which did NOT have Beats Audio, but did have a bunch of EQ presets, some better than others, similar to what you'd find on an iDevice...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs