Who is Andromeda For?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Andromeda's for me too! ;0) BTW have you checked to see if Mint or Voxer have a PWA?

I don't think either is a PWA yet.....but a YouTube PWA just turned up in the store. Never thought I'd see that happen.

I'm kind of half expecting Google to turn up any minute and demand that MS pull it.......

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
Interesting points. Seems like MS should target productivity oriented people. What’s more productive than personal finance? Should be the OS and supporting ecosystem for mature adults and young adults. Professionals. The self employed. Mass transit commuters. But an OS that remembers we all need a little downtime. A little Xbox live.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's for me. I have a good desktop that I use 90% of the time, but occasionally I want to do stuff that I'd find limiting on a 5" screen. I can't really justify a laptop or tablet because for the amount of times I use it it will sit in a drawer most of the time, so when I go to use it it will have a bunch of pending updates and a drained battery. An Andromeda would be capable of doing everything on the go, and can be hooked to something like the Mirabook to be used as a laptop.

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
I personally believe MS needs to focus on customers outside the US more. I am a developer and the following is a visual of app acquisitions on my app. You'll notice that yes the US is the main source of acquisitions, and I am grateful for my US customers, but the rest of the world all added together keeps pretty good pace with the US.

aquisitions.PNG

And yet when it comes to many of its products and services MS is only partially functioning or not functioning at all in many of its 242 market areas where the store itself is available. For example: Cortana, Bing, Bing Maps, MS Rewards, even many Windows native apps and Edge extensions are either NOT available outside the US or partially functioning outside the US. A huge missed opportunity!

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
As you can see below, my app customers are predominantly male and predominantly over 25.

installs.PNG

So I'm okay with MS specifically designing the Andromeda device to cater to that particular demographic. That covers a lot different types of guys though from Engineers to Contractors to Photographers to Road Warrior Account Reps to Truckers to Sports Fans to Investors to CEOs and yes to grown up Gamers... and on and on...

MS though does a pretty crap job marketing their products. But they need to get Andromeda right. Every decision needs to be made with "what is my target demographic?" and "what features, apps, and services do my target demographic want on this device?"... and then make sure those features, apps, and services are on the device.

One example... what is on many 25+ year old guys' minds. Personal Finance right? Maybe they're saving for retirement. Maybe they're saving for their kid's education? Maybe they're running a small business or a part-time weekend photography service. Maybe they just bought that Camaro they couldn't afford when they were 18, and want to pay it off early. Maybe they're at the point in their life where they are counting Net Worth over just getting by. And yet WHY does Office 365 not include the once extremely popular MS Money?

It doesn't mean that they can't reach out to other demographics later on, when the device is stable. But on launch every decision needs to be about the target demographic.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Me. It's for me.

I'm 42. I'm mature, I don't depend on my parents to buy my devices for me. I'm a hard working professional with disposable income, who values productivity over snapchat lenses.

I prefer to create things that matter rather than consumer apps that are built for a generation with the attention span of a 3 month old.

I use Windows 10 because I know, without question, that it's the very best Operating System on earth for professionals. It's the only Operating System for true professionals.

It's for me. The professional.

Or, put another way, when I slip into my Xbox alter ego...I want Andromeda to be to me what the Pip-Boy is to my guy on Fallout. It's my only device. It can hook up to other devices if it needs to but it's my one true computing device.

Yes, even professionals need some play time :p

I’m 57, mature, and my parents didn’t buy my iPhone.
I’m a hard working professional in health care administration who’s entire hospital (doctors, administration, IT, etc.) uses iPhones to improve productivity.
Our attention span is sharp because we have people’s lives at stake.
We use iPhones and iPads because we know they provide the best means to helping us improve patient care.
Again, we are professionals.
Do we use Windows for our desktop needs? Sure, I put up with it best I can but I’m glad we have a mobile computing platform that keeps us connected on the front line of health care when seconds really matter.

See, it’s all relative.
I think Andromeda, if done right, will have a market. Maybe it will even find itself in healthcare, who knows. To ignore the other platforms as if only children use them is ignoring the truth. Microsoft can learn from what these platforms achieved or fail again. That’s up to them.

Let the flaming begin.

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
To ignore the other platforms as if only children use them is ignoring the truth. Microsoft can learn from what these platforms achieved or fail again.

I don't necessarily think MS should ignore the younger generation with this device. But they need to have clearly in mind what segment of the younger generation their device is for. They need to associate the device with lifestyle. That's just plain marketing 101.

MS clearly has an edge in gaming. So yeah gamers! A foldable device like this could appeal to young folks who read a lot. And if they built say a Visual Studio "light" app that would allow coders to code on the go, or integrated it closely with some of their HoloLens efforts (and brought the price way down on that device), or came out with some sort of Robotics "coding" app alongside an electronic instruction receiver unit, they could appeal to the intellectual, young engineer, crowd.

If these succeed, in time, as other kids see other kids using them, they begin to appeal to the "popular" crowd who are drawn to a particular device because it makes a statement of status. But I don't think MS stands a chance with the cool-kid crowd straight out of the gates. iPhone has that pretty neatly wrapped up for now.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't necessarily think MS should ignore the younger generation with this device. But they need to have clearly in mind what segment of the younger generation their device is for. They need to associate the device with lifestyle. That's just plain marketing 101.

MS clearly has an edge in gaming. So yeah gamers! A foldable device like this could appeal to young folks who read a lot. And if they built say a Visual Studio "light" app that would allow coders to code on the go, or integrated it closely with some of their HoloLens efforts (and brought the price way down on that device), or came out with some sort of Robotics "coding" app alongside an electronic instruction receiver unit, they could appeal to the intellectual, young engineer, crowd.

If these succeed, in time, as other kids see other kids using them, they begin to appeal to the "popular" crowd who are drawn to a particular device because it makes a statement of status. But I don't think MS stands a chance with the cool-kid crowd straight out of the gates. iPhone has that pretty neatly wrapped up for now.

I like how you think and appreciate your well thought out strategy.
I’m not a gamer, so I don’t have experience speaking about it, but I do understand it is something MS is good at. I can see that as a plus for gamers. I also think they need to get into AI more as this seems to be the direction we are heading. Again, not an expert but it is certainly something we all understand will be big.
Pull off some of these and they have a chance of being a success.

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
I think whatever they name it needs to appeal to their demographic too. And I'm thinking it needs to be a Surface branded device.

My preference would be that they just go or broke and call it the Surface Phone. But I don't think Nadella has that much courage. He's a play it safe sort of guy.

My 2nd thought would be the Surface Note because of the emphasis on the pen. But there's already a Samsung Galaxy Note.

Surface Lite and Surface Mini just sound too weak.

So... Surface One.

It's a strong name that would appeal to guys. Would remind gamers of the xBox One. Sounds professional. And is a fitting name for the first true Pocketable PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss