Why a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 running Windows 10 makes total sense (imho, obviously)

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
We're about two weeks out from what might be the most anticipated phone release of the year - the Galaxy Note 8. After last year's Note had a defect that recalled all the units, many faithful Note users have been even more eager to get the next iteration of the device. There are a lot of things we know based on previous designs, leaks, and the Galaxy S8 lineup. We know that there will be a SKU with the Snapdragon 835. We know that there's going to be pen input included. It will have a big, tall display with rounded edges, a great camera experience, retina scanning, and an awfully placed fingerprint reader. If the S8 is any indication, we'll likely see a productivity dock that will change your Samsung into an Android computer. If the title of the article didn't tip you off enough, I'll come right out and say it - I think that list of specs is the perfect lineup for Microsoft's first Windows 10S mobile device.

The Stars Align

There's been a waterfall of events that I think is leading us to this moment. First, take Microsoft: they don't have an offering right now. Windows mobile was just sent out to pasture, their Lumia brand hasn't had a new phone in almost two years, and OEM support for Windows phone was never strong. Changing the strategy a bit, CShell promises to package full Windows 10 to a screen that fits into your hand (which may be rotated 90 degrees from normal windows). They've also released Windows 10S - their operating system that will install apps only from the app store. Finally, they announced that starting with the Snapdragon 835, full Windows will come to cellular mobile chips.

At the same time, we're hearing that the Surface mobile device, whatever that will end up looking like, is still a distant device. It will revolutionize the mobile computing world, but it's not ready for the mainstream yet. This has a created a gap for Microsoft in the mobile market. The Samsung, though admittedly halfhearted, would be a way for Microsoft to a) have a device for the diehards and the enterprise users, b) hype the market for their OS, and c) show investors they haven't abandoned the space. At the same time, we've seen Samsung doing its best to gain more ground in the enterprise market with Knox and DeX. Microsoft and Samsung have shown the enterprise market they are working together on the Continuum-like DeX by Samsung showing off how well the Microsoft Android apps work on a large screen, and in return, Microsoft has been selling the S8 and S8+ in their stores.

All the pieces of the puzzle

When we think about where Microsoft is ​differentiating itself from Google and Apple, we see that the new Note is lined up to have it all. Starting with security, Windows Hello is all about your face. This year, Samsung moved its front facing fingerprint reader to the back and put it far too close to the camera in favor of the iris scanning sensors on the front of the phone. It seems like a small point, but unlocking a phone is the first step of using the phone, and I think this common vision and having support for iris unlocking is an important first step in putting Windows on the Note 8.

Samsung is also up to speed with Microsoft's favorite input method - the pen. The Galaxy Note line has been a big screen, pen housing phone since 2011 - over 6 months before Microsoft announced the Surface Pro for Windows 8. With the first and second creators updates, we're seeing Microsoft put more emphasis on Windows Ink and the stylus input. It's clear that both companies have also been working together on this technology with the release of Samsung's new line of premium laptops and tables running Windows 10 and all sporting S Pens and Windows Ink capabilities. It's not hard to see how these companies have complementing values and beliefs when it comes to pen input and it would make sense that Microsoft would want to have Samsung's device represent its newest mobile efforts and capabilities.

We have poked into this a little bit already, but the hardware leaks make perfect sense as well. Samsung will be using the Snapdragon 835 processor. Microsoft has a Windows build running on that processor already. We know that sometime in 2017 a device with that processor will be released running Windows 10. If we're to believe the leaks, we also expect the note to bump the RAM up to 6GB and the base storage capacity will start at 64GB, like the S8, but will have the option to have up to 256GB built in, with an SD card expansion slot as well. It will have the same ultra-premium build that the Galaxy S8 has, and looks to be bumping up to two cameras. All of this would make a capable Windows machine, and dual cameras could give us some 3D scanning capabilities to boot (as long as we're speculating).

And then there's Continuum. Or DeX. Either way, both companies are working on making the portable device something that is more capable than either a phone or a desktop computer. We saw this first launched by Microsoft (successfully, sorry Ubuntu Touch) when the Lumia 950 line came out with Continuum. Other OEMs have supported the technology, most notably HP with the Elite X3, which included the desktop dock and had an optional Lapdock which turned the phone into a laptop without the help of a wired connection. The problem was that Windows 10 mobile didn't work like Windows 10 in every way, leading to user frustration and a quirky OS. Not long after, we saw Samsung turn the S8 and S8+ into a desktop using the Android operating system. The challenge there is Android apps, for the most part, aren't well optimized for a large screen and mouse and keyboard input. Many reviewers were underwhelmed and found it not useful as a result. Having the Note 8 run a full version of Windows 10 using CShell answers all those problems. No longer is the Continuum experience a fragmented version of Windows 10, and Samsung doesn't have to rely on an operating system and app ecosystem that's optimized for a vertical aspect ratio and touch input.

The relationship and tools exist

So if it's the right time for both companies to work together on a wonderful mobile experience, if the device is already going to happen, will they do it? I think so. In my mind, Microsoft needs this a lot more than Samsung does. The Android Galaxy Note 8 will sell piles of units. People have been waiting years at this point and it seems like they've forgotten about the whole battery issues of the 7. Microsoft does have a couple of neat tricks it can bring to the Note 8 to make it a better device, but I would guess it was Windows who had to do the convincing, and not the other way around. You can see this in a Windows store. Samsung has its Android phones which do Microsoft-like things in its stores. The Samsung lock screen on their Windows 10 laptops has extra security features. I think these OEM bonuses might give us a hint that Microsoft is looking for something in return.

​And it might not be something they'll ask Samsung to do at the factory. Some of us will remember a time when Microsoft worked with Xiaomi to release a custom Windows 10 mobile ROM for their Mi4 Android handset. There were rumors that they had built one for the OnePlus 3 and a handful of other devices as well. It is well withing the realm of possibility that Windows simply wants Samsung's blessing in releasing a ROM for consumers to choose. Or they could be asking Samsung to install it at the factory. I would guess each company wants the other to take responsibility for it. If it happens, it will be interesting to see how it works.

Put it all together and what do we get?

There were questions about running Windows on the S8 when it came out. Daniel Rubino begged Microsoft to release a ROM in a podcast or two closer to the release of the device and the detailing of CShell. Microsoft has been picky about how it presents its products. I think the Galaxy Note 8 has the makings of the perfect non-Microsoft Windows 10 phone to hold us over until the eventual release of the super amazing, vaguely revolutionary Surface mobile device.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I'd totally like to see a Windows-powered Samsung Galaxy Note 8 too. If others see a big player like Samsung releasing a serious Windows offering, you can bet that LG, HTC and maybe ASUS might be tempted to offer a Windows handset too. Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee with any of these sayings, but just saying.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Really interesting idea. I don't think that they would do it though. App support for the Note would be very important, though.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Win 10 on arm is not even ready yet. As Microsoft has said at the present time its not for phone. As much as i would love to see more Windows devices I own a Lumia 950 and love it. People just need to chill out. See what Microsoft plans are and watch. Speculating does nothing unless Microsoft them self say this what were doing next. Many have said this. And won't be the last.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'd totally like to see a Windows-powered Samsung Galaxy Note 8 too. If others see a big player like Samsung releasing a serious Windows offering, you can bet that LG, HTC and maybe ASUS might be tempted to offer a Windows handset too. Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee with any of these sayings, but just saying.

I left my iPhone 4 and headed to the Windows phone family when I bought the Samsung ATIV S. Fantastic phone. So much better than my iPhone 3 and 4. I then moved up to the more high powered ATIV SE. This phone was way ahead of its time. Too bad no one appreciated it! (Verizon hijacked it, and then stopped marketing it). A truly amazing and wonderful Windows phone! I hope in the future Samsung builds more Windows phones!

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of the Note series, and honestly it would be crippled by Windows Mobile. Why replace a good OS with a mediocre one? Samsung would need to heavily modify it and add a number of software enhancements.

Samsung used to sell flagship windows phones, they abandoned it because it wasn't profitable for them.

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of the Note series, and honestly it would be crippled by Windows Mobile. Why replace a good OS with a mediocre one? Samsung would need to heavily modify it and add a number of software enhancements.

Crippled in some ways, liberated in others. Android is a mess right now when it comes to anything larger than a 6" screen. I think it's at least an interesting idea to muse over. I think with all the Surface Hype - they might sell a pile of stylus enabled Windows 10 phones! Or it could flop. I just want to see it (and buy one).

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I think this is actually gonna happen, but only after the fact. The SD835 isn't going to age too quick. I would guess after a set time frame, say 6 - 12 months after the Note 8 release date, Samsung would play ball and help MSFT do this. Unless MSFT can revolutionize the concept of cshell, I would see this type of arrangement happening with year old models. I don't think Samsung would allow an Android phone to run Windows 10 cshell right out of the gate during initial release. Samsung would want people to opt for the Android version.

However, I type all of this on the Galaxy Book 12 and this thing is proof that Samsung is willing to play ball with MSFT and cater the relationship. As soon as Samsung releases an S8 or Note 8 with Windows 10 (if ever), I'll buy one the day it comes out. Apps aren't THAT important to me. And my current S8 only has a handful of apps on it. I find myself using the native apps just out of ease and integration.

Jaylord1

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I have been with windows since pocket pc. Today, I preorder galaxy note 8 - sad... I'm not sure whether I should use it as a second phone or replace my ICON. What do you think?