Why am I seeing black boxes instead of no arrows on short-cuts?

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
2 days ago Daniel posted an article on how to remove shortcut arrows on Windows 10 desktops. I was able to hide the arrows. However, I got two updates. I installed them & restarted the system. After restarting I got these.

Black Square.PNG

I ignored & finished my work & I saw that everything was normal. Sometime after explorer restarted and those black squares re-appeared! I've waited again but this time they didn't disappear.

What's the solution?

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
2 days ago Daniel posted an article on how to remove shortcut arrows on Windows 10 desktops. I was able to hide the arrows. However, I got two updates. I installed them & restarted the system. After restarting I got these.

View attachment 110684

I ignored & finished my work & I saw that everything was normal. Sometime after explorer restarted and those black squares re-appeared! I've waited again but this time they didn't disappear.

What's the solution?

Same here !!!

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Try reverting the process and redoing it.

It should work but I also don't want those arrows. It has worked in all previous versions of Windows & it worked here too. It doesn't work only when 'explorer.exe' loads after logging in for first time or restarts itself/manually. Now I got proper icons back but when I manually restart 'explorer.exe' those black square appears again.
So actually this thing works here too but don't know what's this black box problem.

EDIT: I usually get normal icons back after couple of hours. I don't know the reason.

Robin Wood

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
In Windows 10 Professional I removed the default shortcut arrows on the icons and then everything was fine for a while (Months) but suddenly little black boxes appear where the arrows were supposed to be. After searching my machine for possible errors i found something strange i.e. something is changing my default apps in settings. So, I clicked to Settings > System > Default apps > Reset. Then all the black boxes disappear and the Icons returned to normal without the shortcut arrows. I do not know what is causing this to happen and if this will permanently stop the black boxes from reappearing, only time will tell.

When I removed the arrows by means of Regedit, I Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.
I Created a Key by Right click on \Explorer and using the dialog menu choose New > Key and name it Shell Icons. Press Enter.
In the right pane of Shell Icons, right click on an empty area, and click/tap on New and String Value. Name it 29.
Double click/tap on the 29 String Value to modify it. You should see a blank box called Value data.
In the Value data box enter (or copy and paste): %windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-50 and hit OK when done.
You can now either reboot the computer or log off and on back again to complete the changes. Afterwards, you should have a nice, clean desktop with no arrow shortcuts.
:angry:

Robin Wood

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Please try the following in Windows 10 and see if it works (it worked for me):

Navigate to Start button > Settings > System > Default apps > Reset (Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults). Then all the black boxes should disappear and the Icons returned to normal without the shortcut arrows.

I hate these little arrow shortcuts on the Icons, Microsoft should implement an easy option with the click of a button to either have them or have them removed. People with 'hundreds' of Icons crowding their Desktop surely don't know how a Filing system should work. You can for instance have one Folder on the Desktop with sub-folders to separate different program groups or data, thereby keeping everything neatly in place and easily accessible. I never ever needed little "shortcut arrows" to remind me what is a Folder and what is a shortcut !!
:angry:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb