Why am I unable to restart my PC to apply the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Unable to restart PC to apply Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586. has been installed but the Restart Now button did not work. It says

We're having trouble restarting to finish the install. Try again in a little while. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0x80070032)

I manually restart the PC but the update did not applied.

How to fix this issue?

-Ganesh

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Unable to restart PC to apply Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586

That particular error code is usually indicative of the OS failing to schedule a sequence of tasks. This is why the updates aren't applied when restarting manually. It never got the updates sequenced in order to process them.

Knowing that part is easy. I have no idea how to actually fix the issue. My best guess would be to try to do the upgrade using the Media Creation Tool. Download an ISO, run setup, and select Upgrade. You'll get the same results as if you had succeeded in the update process and your system will be up to date. You'll have the added advantage of a current install ISO should you ever need to install again, or if a friends computer needs updating/upgrading.

GaneshBabu

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Unable to restart PC to apply Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586

Thanks for the clue. My Task schedule was not working properly. The Task schedule service was disabled.
I modified the startType in registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule --> starttype=2) and rebooted the PC.

Now the Windows update Restart works.

Thanks
Ganesh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen