Why am I unable to upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Can't upgrade to windows phone 8.1

I have a lumia 1520 on EE carrier and I can't upgrade it to windows phone 8.1. When I search for updates it tells me the phone is up to date.

I can't unlock developer preview for it since developer mode unlocking for windows phone 8.1 expired in 2015.

I tried to use the software recovery tool but it gives me the exact same rom version.

What can I do to upgrade it to windows phone 8.1 and then install windows 10 on it?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Can't upgrade to windows phone 8.1

Hi.

The 1520 came with 8.1 on it. You can check to see what software version you are running by going to settings > about > more info. As for updating to Win10 M, is your device carrier locked, or is it unlocked? If it's unlocked, it should update. Have you tried the upgrade app? This will tell you if your phone is eligible, which it should be. Failing that, go to store, download Windows insider and choose the RELEASE PREVIEW RING. This will install the latest release of Windows 10, before it goes on general release. These are stable versions. Unless you are confident with your device and WDRT, and any issues found that could cause headaches DONT use the FAST or SLOW ring previews.

With the options above (I'd stay with the preview insider), if you don't like the W10M, the WDRT will 'roll' you back to 8.1.

Hope that helps, and why not join the forums? The 1520 has its own thread, and there is a wealth of information available.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The 1520 came with 8.1 on it.

Lumia 1520 debuted with Windows Phone 8.0 + Lumia Black. 8.1 didn't come along until Cyan... Denim is required to upgrade to W10M.

I have a lumia 1520 on EE carrier and I can't upgrade it to windows phone 8.1.

The lists that show official version for 8 and 8.1 have been deprecated, so I can't verify the last version EE passed. Given your statement regarding WDRT, I am tempted to say there is no upgrade available for your device.

However, I found this on the EE community forums: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices/Lumia-Denim-Update-for-Nokia-1520/td-p/265441 So EE did push Denim to the 1520 in March of 2015.

Now the question becomes what device do you have?

I assume your carrier is EE...

On your device please go to Settings > Extras + Info. Please report back what appears for "Manufacturer Name" and "Mobile Operator" so we can determine what variant you have. This will help us proceed.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Originally posted by RumoredNow
Originally Posted by Mad Cabbie
The 1520 came with 8.1 on it.

Lumia 1520 debuted with Windows Phone 8.0 + Lumia Black. 8.1 didn't come along until Cyan... Denim is required to upgrade to W10M.

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question
I have a lumia 1520 on EE carrier and I can't upgrade it to windows phone 8.1.

The lists that show official version for 8 and 8.1 have been deprecated, so I can't verify the last version EE passed. Given your statement regarding WDRT, I am tempted to say there is no upgrade available for your device.

However, I found this on the EE community forums: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices/Lumia-Denim-Update-for-Nokia-1520/td-p/265441 So EE did push Denim to the 1520 in March of 2015.

Now the question becomes what device do you have?

I assume your carrier is EE...

On your device please go to Settings > Extras + Info. Please report back what appears for "Manufacturer Name" and "Mobile Operator" so we can determine what variant you have. This will help us proceed.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

I found the same site about denim. I should have mentioned that. Mind you it was rather late in the day. I can only assume it's carrier locked, or the denim update is no longer available through EE, but that would be odd

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb