Why are people calling HTC a copycat of Nokia?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
One thing that people are overlooking is that the choice to use the color thing was highly influenced by MSFT. They had a hand in the design. Probably because they realized that colors better embody the whole tile scheme. If you take away the colors then you see that the phone is a lot different than the Nokia design. So, what's the problem with using a little but of color? Tell us what's so similar between the 8x and the 920 if you look at both of them in the black color.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Any offense taken by those claiming "copying" is probably geared more to the fact that there's a slight lack of originality on HTC's part.

There's a lack of originality on EVERY smart device maker's part right now.

The last truly new and innovative phone with lots of new concepts was the Palm Pre, and Palm got CRUSHED for being different.

All the devices out today (including Nokia's pending devices) are minor variations of the same flat glass slab differentiated by screen size, camera specs, storage and color. The claim that a minor variation in a design idea like colors is "innovation" strikes me as evidence of a complete lack of innovation in design the last several years.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
That's not even close to what I said. I'm saying that the phones only have color in common, their design are vastly different.

Besides Nokia didn't do the wild color thing until the Lumia 920, They only had white,Cyan,Black and Magenta.

HTC 8X add more wild colors, but Nokia was also working in more wild colors. Hence both phones coming out in a wide spectrum of colors. You can't make a phone in 2 weeks, the 8X/8S series where carefully though out.

Irrelevant to the topic, but Nokia has done the color thing since the 90's. Even the WP7 Lumia series(610,710,800,900) featured more color than you said. 710 for example had 9 different color combinations including Yellow.

Nokia+603+Price+in+India++Features+and+Specifications.jpg

Nokia-6700-slide-color.jpg

nokia-n8-pink-color-pictures.jpg

nokia-e63-business-smartphone.jpg

nokia-n8.png

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
There's a lack of originality on EVERY smart device maker's part right now.

The last truly new and innovative phone with lots of new concepts was the Palm Pre, and Palm got CRUSHED for being different.

All the devices out today (including Nokia's pending devices) are minor variations of the same flat glass slab differentiated by screen size, camera specs, storage and color. The claim that a minor variation in a design idea like colors is "innovation" strikes me as evidence of a complete lack of innovation in design the last several years.

Well yeah if you want to back it out into general terms. As a person who seems so critical of his looks, in terms of attire, I don't understand why you're being so obstinate on the general idea. In the world of windows phone, having that solid colored slab of polycarbonate is Nokia's schtick.

No one, save possibly the diehard Nokia fans, are saying that Nokia has the sole right to use color but when someone starts to mimic your idea, it's not all that unreasonable to call "copy." It's like if someone liked your sense of style or certain outfits and dressed the same way. It's just an observation of heavy influence.

In this case it's the manner in which the colors come out and the use of one whole slab of polycarbonate. Why it couldn't have been a different material or in different patterns, like some rad camouflage design is beyond me but that's what happened, and for people to make the observation isn't something that's suddenly ridiculous.

What's really ridiculous is all the minute nit-picking and blowing things out of proportion.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah if you want to back it out into general terms. As a person who seems so critical of his looks, in terms of attire, I don't understand why you're being so obstinate on the general idea. In the world of windows phone, having that solid colored slab of polycarbonate is Nokia's schtick.

No one, save possibly the diehard Nokia fans, are saying that Nokia has the sole right to use color but when someone starts to mimic your idea, it's not all that unreasonable to call "copy." It's like if someone liked your sense of style or certain outfits and dressed the same way. It's just an observation of heavy influence.

In this case it's the manner in which the colors come out and the use of one whole slab of polycarbonate. Why it couldn't have been a different material or in different patterns, like some rad camouflage design is beyond me but that's what happened, and for people to make the observation isn't something that's suddenly ridiculous.

What's really ridiculous is all the minute nit-picking and blowing things out of proportion.

You do realize HTC used polycarbonate many months ago right? They didn't switch to polycarbonate with windows phone. Hello HTC One x.

Sent from my beast of a device.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah if you want to back it out into general terms. As a person who seems so critical of his looks, in terms of attire, I don't understand why you're being so obstinate on the general idea.

I don't see anything wrong with eating right and exercising, and I'd never threaten to sue another person for doing it.

In the world of windows phone, having that solid colored slab of polycarbonate is Nokia's schtick.

In the tiny little village of Windows Phone, Nokia is the old man who was once wealthy and has fallen on hard times but expects everyone to treat him like they did when he was young and wealthy.

He's taking common ideas and claiming to have "invented" them to get back to his old glory, while younger whippersnappers are blasting past him. He thinks it's "unfair" that he doesn't have exclusive dominion over the small village and that HTC, Samsung and Huawei are working to develop and grow it as well.

when someone starts to mimic your idea, it's not all that unreasonable to call "copy."

Not when the "idea" is a common concept used to sell everything from clothes to shoes to cars.

"Hey, let's make it in different colors" is a pretty basic no-brainer, not some incredibly disruptive innovation. Whining that "they copied us by making different colors and thus stole our innovation" might as well be whining "we're completely out of ideas and thus had to go to multiple colors and have nothing else to differentiate us."

It's the claim of a weak company, not a strong one. That's why Apple's lawsuit against Samsung marked its high-water mark... if "we should have a monopoly on a very basic design that we didn't even invent" represents the best "innovation" that a company can deliver, then that company is OUT of ideas and it's only a matter of time before they're replaced.

In this case it's the manner in which the colors come out and the use of one whole slab of polycarbonate.

Why do we keep referring to it as "polycarbonate?" It's colored plastic.

Nokia (and you) essentially argue that Nokia invented color plastic phones and that anybody else who makes them is copying them. It's absurd. Color plastic is NOT an innovation! Get over it!

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with eating right and exercising, and I'd never threaten to sue another person for doing it.

Irrelevant and not what I was driving at. You miss my point.

In the tiny little village of Windows Phone, Nokia is the old man who was once wealthy and has fallen on hard times but expects everyone to treat him like they did when he was young and wealthy.

He's taking common ideas and claiming to have "invented" them to get back to his old glory, while younger whippersnappers are blasting past him. He thinks it's "unfair" that he doesn't have exclusive dominion over the small village and that HTC, Samsung and Huawei are working to develop and grow it as well.

Really? Only one dude said that on Twitter and now he's representative of the entire company. Either way no action has been taken nor any real official statement so I don't know what you're driving at.

Not when the "idea" is a common concept used to sell everything from clothes to shoes to cars.

"Hey, let's make it in different colors" is a pretty basic no-brainer, not some incredibly disruptive innovation. Whining that "they copied us by making different colors and thus stole our innovation" might as well be whining "we're completely out of ideas and thus had to go to multiple colors and have nothing else to differentiate us."

It's the claim of a weak company, not a strong one. That's why Apple's lawsuit against Samsung marked its high-water mark... if "we should have a monopoly on a very basic design that we didn't even invent" represents the best "innovation" that a company can deliver, then that company is OUT of ideas and it's only a matter of time before they're replaced.

Yeah it's a common concept, and one that was capitalized by Nokia for Windows Phone into it's current recognition. No one but you is calling that innovation. I don't know why you keep saying that. Most people if anything are saying or rather observing is, "Oh hey didn't Nokia have a whole line of Windows Phone in solid colors? Interesting to see HTC do it, I guess they got the idea ("copied the idea") from Nokia."

As for the side tangent into Apple, part of that is based in the fact that they actually had a patent for the design. Whether it should've been granted is a different matter. The point is Apple had something they could enforce legally. Whether they should've done so is kind of irrelevant because neither one of us can conclusively say what their motivations are and frankly even something as protecting their product against confusion is something that's legitimate given that people with trademarks can do relatively the same thing.

Everything else regarding your argument about innovation I'm not even going to respond to because I'm not even talking about that only you are.

Why do we keep referring to it as "polycarbonate?" It's colored plastic.

Nokia (and you) essentially argue that Nokia invented color plastic phones and that anybody else who makes them is copying them. It's absurd. Color plastic is NOT an innovation! Get over it!

Whatever, I'm just using the term that's floating around and I'm sure it's only stated for accuracy of the material.

I highly doubt Nokia is arguing they invented colored plastic phone or calling it an innovation. Likewise I am not either. Only you are. I have never claimed that nor implied that Nokia invented colored plastic phones.

The only reason I speak at all in threads like this is because I'm trying to bring a little insight into inane reasoning and conclusions like yours that clearly have a bias against Nokia.

Not to mention that they contain the strangest things to nitpick and rant over. I have no idea why you think Nokia is suddenly the bad guy nor do I really care. If anyone should get over it clearly appears to be you; the majority of your posts are bashing Nokia.

The only thing I need to get over is posts similar to yours and oh I'm doing just that after this post.

Have fun going at it buddy :lol:

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Irrelevant and not what I was driving at. You miss my point.

Really? Only one dude said that on Twitter and now he's representative of the entire company. Either way no action has been taken nor any real official statement so I don't know what you're driving at.

Yeah it's a common concept, and one that was capitalized by Nokia for Windows Phone into it's current recognition. No one but you is calling that innovation. I don't know why you keep saying that. Most people if anything are saying or rather observing is, "Oh hey didn't Nokia have a whole line of Windows Phone in solid colors? Interesting to see HTC do it, I guess they got the idea ("copied the idea") from Nokia."

As for the side tangent into Apple, part of that is based in the fact that they actually had a patent for the design. Whether it should've been granted is a different matter. The point is Apple had something they could enforce legally. Whether they should've done so is kind of irrelevant because neither one of us can conclusively say what their motivations are and frankly even something as protecting their product against confusion is something that's legitimate given that people with trademarks can do relatively the same thing.

Everything else regarding your argument about innovation I'm not even going to respond to because I'm not even talking about that only you are.

Whatever, I'm just using the term that's floating around and I'm sure it's only stated for accuracy of the material.

I highly doubt Nokia is arguing they invented colored plastic phone or calling it an innovation. Likewise I am not either. Only you are. I have never claimed that nor implied that Nokia invented colored plastic phones.

The only reason I speak at all in threads like this is because I'm trying to bring a little insight into inane reasoning and conclusions like yours that clearly have a bias against Nokia.

Not to mention that they contain the strangest things to nitpick and rant over. I have no idea why you think Nokia is suddenly the bad guy nor do I really care. If anyone should get over it clearly appears to be you; the majority of your posts are bashing Nokia.

The only thing I need to get over is posts similar to yours and oh I'm doing just that after this post.

Have fun going at it buddy :lol:
If I wer Nokia, I'd be worried that people would go into a store looking for a Lumia and accidentally buy the HTC. I know the colors are different, but the devices look a lot more similar than they have in the past, and the 920 is quite similar to the 900, get my point?

I've seen neither in person .... so who knows .. maybe I will change my mind.

As an individual consumer, whatever company can give me the most for my money gets my business. Its always less expensive to be the copier than the innovator. If I were HTC, I'd be happy knowing that Nokia is going to advertise Windows phones, and HTC devices could see a halo effect.

The reality is that these devices will be succesful or not in the USA based on carrier support.