Why can I no longer make system image backup onto USB disk with Windows 10 Aniversary Edition?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I could make System Image onto USB Solid State disk with my earlier Windows 10 version. However, after doing the upgrade to Windows 10 Aniversary Edition, my USB drive is no longer considered as a valid backup location!
Plse advice! tkx
Ton

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Try this:

1) Create a folder on your USB and call it for instance BackUp (move the WindowsImageBackup folder here or you can use the WindowsImageBackup folder
2) Right click the newly BackUp folder or the WindowsImageBackup folder if you didn't make a new folder
3) Click on properties
4) Click on the sharing tab
5) Click on the share button
6) In the file sharing dialogue box choose the current logged in user or everyone if you prefer
7) Then click share once you've made your choice
8) Once successful you will get a new dialogue box showing the location of the shared folder, right click it and click copy link
9) Now open the system image wizard
10) Paste the link of the share you created above (in the network location)
11) You should now be able to use your USB to back up going forward.

I am perplexed why Microsoft decided USBs were no longer valid locations for back ups...

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Try this:

1) Create a folder on your USB and call it for instance BackUp (move the WindowsImageBackup folder here or you can use the WindowsImageBackup folder
2) Right click the newly BackUp folder or the WindowsImageBackup folder if you didn't make a new folder
3) Click on properties
4) Click on the sharing tab
5) Click on the share button
6) In the file sharing dialogue box choose the current logged in user or everyone if you prefer
7) Then click share once you've made your choice
8) Once successful you will get a new dialogue box showing the location of the shared folder, right click it and click copy link
9) Now open the system image wizard
10) Paste the link of the share you created above (in the network location)
11) You should now be able to use your USB to back up going forward.

I am perplexed why Microsoft decided USBs were no longer valid locations for back ups...

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

It worked and thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans