Why do people hangout at Apple Stores in the Mall?

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I always get the retort "Apple stores are so packed" "Way more packed than Microsoft Stores."

Well, after doing my holiday Black Friday shopping at the Microsoft Stores upstairs, I proceeded to go downstairs to rest my tired feet from carrying around my new Xbox One and Surface Pro 3 and Dell Laptop they had on sale. I sat outside of the Apple store and noticed something. It was packed like sardines and they actually had a turnstile rope line, like what you see in a theme park, to limit the amount of people entering into the store.

But, what I noticed is that not many if any of the people I saw leaving actually bought anything. Seriously they just keep leaving empty handed. Is it really that fun to look over and over again.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
One of our MS stores is literally right across an Apple store and I've noticed at that location a lot of those people are there for support and tutorials with their products

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
We don't have any MS stores here in the UK. At least, I've never seen one. I've never been to the local Apple store, but have visited one in a nearby town, but only because it was an educational visit with some school children.

I would never WILLINGLY step foot in an Apple store. There is nothing there to interest me. I would visit a MS store (but probably wouldn't by anything.)

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because no one has ever seen a Mac, an iPhone, or an iPad before! lol. But I've noticed that Microsoft Stores are generally just as packed from my experiences.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Lol I do too always run into an Apple store and look around. That's why :) Sadly the is no Microsoft Stores here to do that

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I would hang out at a Microsoft Store if there was one in Ottawa.... but sadly it seems the capital of Canada isn't important to them :p

crash0330

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I always find it sort of weird why people hang out at the Apple or even Mircrosoft store.
I've seen people that actually go there with friends and sit and talk for a long time, while checking facebook on the iMacs on display.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Because it's trendy. iPhones are as much a fashion statement as anything else, as are Apple stores...
I don't think people call up their friends on their iPhones and say "Hey, let's go hang out at the Apple store today!" but if they happen to walk by one, as one does in any mall, "Hey, let's go in! Might as well check out the new iPhone, anyways. It's the same as this one, but it has a 6 on the back!"

One of our MS stores is literally right across an Apple store
My MSFT store is also directly across from the Apple store, with the same exact fa?ade but in white and the MS flag staring back at the white apple. I find it amusing. :winktongue:

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
It's a combination of:

- People looking at stuff they want
- People looking at stuff they're going to buy
- Tourists and students who know that an Apple Store is definitely one place you'll get free Wifi access without anyone bothering you
- People being trained
- People who're waiting for 'geniuses' to be called for faulty stuff - and whatever people say Apple stuff breaks like clockwork, it's just that service is really good when (not if) it does
- People who're talking to 'geniuses'

... but the common thing is that it's pretty much 100% likely that everyone in an Apple Store is more likely to buy Apple than anything else.

Contrast that to e.g. everyone who's waiting in line at a Microsoft Store for tickets to a concert or a free gig in the Store, where I'd bet 80+% of them are Apple customers lol

crash0330

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I like what idokamaroq, reasoning better, I do feel like a lot of those people just hang out there because it's trendy, they wanna be seen there.

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Your assessment is for about 10% of the people in there on any given day. Again, I sat outside of blackfriday and rarely saw anyone leaving with a bag. Granted when the iphone 6 I saw the same exact thing. Everyone there, rarely anyone actually buying anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo