Why do people keep saying HTC copied Nokia's Lumia design?

TheNerdlyKnight

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree here with the HTC folks even though I'm a Nokia fan. I don't see a blatant rip off that everyone's screaming about. Do you all know that Huwaei also announced that their Windows phones will come in multiple colors too?!

As for the curved glass display, both the OneS and OneX had them.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Let's get real, besides Red and a possible Cyan. HTC color combinations are superior. Also deliciously Matte.

I heard the reason for it not being Matte is to make sure it doesn't fade over time. And personally i love the yellow Lumia 920. So the color choices are a matter of opinion

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
And i said this before, but HTC tried to make the phone like WP8. That's therr inspiration. Even though the design started before WP with the N8, I believe Nokia kept the design for the same reason. So i just don't think Nokia was copied, and it doesn't appear Nokia feels that way, either.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I heard the reason for it not being Matte is to make sure it doesn't fade over time. And personally i love the yellow Lumia 920. So the color choices are a matter of opinion

Isn't the point of Polycarbonate is that it doesn't lose color? My Sunglasses are like that.

Mr.Moonlight

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Its not the colors that I think they copied.
1. I think they copied the polycabonate body

For crying out loud, people..."Polycarbonate" is just another freakin' PLASTIC! You find it in everything from kitchen appliances to jet fighter planes.

It's just the marketing department's way of selling you another plastic and trying to make it sound sexy...get it? Thinking it's something "special" or "magical" is exactly what the marketing suits want you to think. And you all fall for it. Does it have different characteristics than some other plastics? Yes, it does. Is it necessarily better? Depends on the application.

If the other manufacturers started calling their plastics "polystyrene" or "polymethyl methacrylate", would you suddenly be snapping them up and then start arguing here on the boards that Samsung stole the idea to use a "polystyrene" casing from LG or whomever?

Polycarbonate is a polymer plastic, folks...used in thousands and thousands of various products all over the world. It ain't that special. And Nokia doesn't have a patent on it, BTW.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Polycarbonate is not poly methacrylate, so I doubt manufacturers would call their product a lesser grade of plastic than what they actually used. Polystyrene is pretty brittle so I dont think any manufacture will claim to use that in their cases.

Go take your medication.

Mr.Moonlight

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Polycarbonate is not poly methacrylate, so I doubt manufacturers would call their product a lesser grade of plastic than what they actually used. Polystyrene is pretty brittle so I dont think any manufacture will claim to use that in their cases.

Go take your medication.

Where did I say anywhere in my post that poly mm and polycarbonate were the same thing? All plastics have different characteristics...which is why they have different uses for different things. Polystyrene is not necessarily brittle. It depends on how it's combined with other polymers...it can be soft or brittle. Poly mm is commonly known as "Plexiglas". The flat backs of some phones have been made with this as this acrylic has a glasslike feel to it.

The point is: Polycarbonate is plastic. Fact. It's nothing special and Nokia isn't the first to use it. So let's just stop pretending that Nokia invented it and everyone else that uses it is just copying them.

While I'm taking my meds, you might wanna go dust off your organic chem textbook.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon