Why does Edge not load properly

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
My Edge will not load up and work.

Clicking on Edge produces the normal blue e screen and opens up the basic white screen in preparation for Edge to load. It then hangs for about 5 seconds before dropping out.

I have restarted my Acer PC and tried full close down but to no avail.

All my other apps appear to work and Internet Explorer works perfectly, so I believe Edge is corrupt.

I am trying to avoid a reset. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to do or whether a reset is the only alternative.

Thanks for any help in advance

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Clicking on Edge produces the normal blue e screen and opens up the basic white screen in preparation for Edge to load. It then hangs for about 5 seconds before dropping out.

All my other apps appear to work and Internet Explorer works perfectly, so I believe Edge is corrupt.

I am trying to avoid a reset. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to do or whether a reset is the only alternative.

What OS version do you have? You can check in settings > system > about > OS build

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello Chintan

The OS is 15063.332.

Thanks

John

Was it working properly before the latest update?

And do you have any add ons installed for edge? can you disable or uninstall them?

Finally, can you open edge when the internet is off? Meaning does edge crash because of trying to access internet or for some other reason - you could also try to open a pdf file with edge to see what happens

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello Chintan

Yes it was working before the last update.

I have no add-ons installed on Edge.

Edge does not open when the internet is off.

I cannot do anything in Edge as it never downloads the first screen, only hangs and then drops out.

Thanks

John

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello Chintan

Yes it was working before the last update.

I have no add-ons installed on Edge.

Edge does not open when the internet is off.

I cannot do anything in Edge as it never downloads the first screen, only hangs and then drops out.

Thanks

John

I've found one solution though it's an old one and I'm not sure if it will work on the new version

How To Reinstall Microsoft Edge In Windows 10

And please read the warnings

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

How to Reinstall and Re-register Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Right click at Start > select Windows Powershell > copy/paste the following command >

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation) \AppXManifest.xml” –Verbose

> press Enter

When finished, close PowerShell, and try opening Microsoft Edge again.

*** adding ...............

Create another user account with exactly the same privileges > logon to it > see if Edge opens properly.

Last edited:

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello Chintan

I am not sure what the User Name is. Is it my MS account user name or is it the name that appears in File Explorer?

As you can see I am no computer expert.

Thanks John

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello David

Thanks for your input.

If you look at the beginning of this thread I have already been advised of this method but included a section to clear the Edge files before takin the action you suggest. Are you saying this first set of actions is unnecessary?

Also being no computer expert - why do you suggest opening another user account? Is this to check if there is an issue with my original account?

Sorry for all the questions but as you may have guessed I really don't know what I am doing. :-( :unhappysweat:

Thanks again

John

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello Chintan

I am not sure what the User Name is. Is it my MS account user name or is it the name that appears in File Explorer?

As you can see I am no computer expert.

Thanks John

No problem, I'll try to guide you through this

So the instructions say you need to get to this folder: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages

So open up "my pc", go to local disk C, then "users", you might have 2 folders there - one saying public and the other saying whatever name you've named your pc - open that folder - then go to the app data, local, packages until you get to the folder mentioned

I might also suggest you try asking a friend who's well versed in windows pcs to help you out - I mean in the same area as where you live

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello Chintan

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I followed all your instructions but alas, to no avail, so I ended up going to Microsoft and paying £29 for a fix. They went through all the routines that you suggested and still got no resolution so they reinstalled Windows 10 and that screwed the whole thing, and they had to roll back my system to the previous download but, Edge still does not work. In the end they admitted this problem is prevalent and have promised to come back in a week with a solution!

So the problem is due to update KB4020102 and I ended up paying for them to try and fix a problem that MS created! Looking on other forums I see many current complaints from users who also have paid for a fix and not got one. I am trying to find a way of formally complaining to MS but they make it extremely difficult to make formal complaints. :-(

Having said all that I really do appreciate your help and thank you for your time, patience and encouragement.

John

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello David

I followed all your instructions but alas, to no avail, so I ended up going to Microsoft and paying £29 for a fix. They went through all the routines that you suggested and still got no resolution so they reinstalled Windows 10 and that screwed the whole thing, and they had to roll back my system to the previous download but, Edge still does not work. In the end they admitted this problem is prevalent and have promised to come back in a week with a solution!

So the problem is due to update KB4020102 and I ended up paying for them to try and fix a problem that MS created! Looking on other forums I see many current complaints from users who also have paid for a fix and not got one. I am trying to find a way of formally complaining to MS but they make it extremely difficult to make formal complaints. :-(

Having said all that I really do appreciate your help and thank you for your time, patience and encouragement.

John

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello David

John

Sorry about all that - the easier solution would have been to use another browser altogether until edge starts working again - but I assumed you really wanted to use edge

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello Chintan

Yes I did but in the interim I am running on IE. Would you recommend another?

John

I personally use both edge and Mozilla firefox - firefox is light but powerful - others would recommend chrome but I find it doesn't feel nice and the resource use is very high

frank pik

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
is it possible that it's a user profile/license error. I noticed W10 has been FULL of those - seems much worse in my experience, especially with insider previews

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello Chintan

Thanks for that. I have previously used Chrome but don't like it much, maybe I will try MF as I have heard good reports on this browser before.

John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes