Why does my Lumia 950XL freeze when unlocking?

R00tkowsky

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 950XL freezes when unlocking

When I unlock my phone there's a high possibility for it to freeze, needing a power-/volume-button reset. I've, so far, not found a common reason for this to happen. Latest version fast ring is currently installed.
Has anyone encountered the same problem and probably found a solution to this?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950XL freezes when unlocking

When I unlock my phone there's a high possibility for it to freeze, needing a power-/volume-button reset. I've, so far, not found a common reason for this to happen. Latest version fast ring is currently installed.

are you using windows hello? disable that and test

MAK11

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
When did you start encountering this issue? Mine started doing this after Tuesday's (12th) Production OS update (non-insider) and I also have the latest FW. Never had this happen before. Did a hard Reset that didn't fix it. This happens with and without Windows Hello. Can also happen when a notification (sms) arrives on the phone (screen lights up for less than a second then dies).

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

I get about a 5 second delay (screen goes black) from the time I hit the power button on the side of the phone, until the lock screen appears. Started happening the last day of Build 14390, and went away with the 14393 update, but is back again as of last night.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had similar issues on my 950 XL on earlier RS builds but it has been just fine from the past couple of builds. Last night I flashed to the latest DTTW firmware, updated to 14393 and hard reset. Its been almost a day now and it has been working just fine, a bit more responsive during the unlock/lock. DTTW is as good as my 1520 / 920 / 925 / 640 on 8.1

MAK11

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Both my 950 XL's are on the same release builds (.494 released Tuesday 12th) and latest FW (DTTW). Only one has been exhibiting this issue..phone some times freezes/crashes during unlocking/ when screen is turned on even by a notifications and has to be soft-reset (admittedly the second one is used by my wife which doesn't use it as much as I do so it may show up in here's later on). Did a Hard Rest on mine and it didn't fix it. Just did another one this time with WDRT to see If it changes anything but I'm not expecting any miracle..

YogeshChoure

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

After turn off the Glance screen..Its working smoothly.. Let's see for another couple of days ;)

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Mine now needs three button presses to wake from glance. I don't have DTTW / latest firmware, but I do have insider.

With Glance on:
1 press, Glance Goes off black screen
2 press, Glance comes back
3 press, lock screen

Fine till this afternoon. Strange.

YogeshChoure

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

Mine now needs three button presses to wake from glance. I don't have DTTW / latest firmware, but I do have insider.

With Glance on:
1 press, Glance Goes off black screen
2 press, Glance comes back
3 press, lock screen

Fine till this afternoon. Strange.
TURN OFF Glance screen..it's working..

Braineh

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

TURN OFF Glance screen..it's working..

For me that didn't solve the problem. My Lumia 950 XL was crashing and rebooting when waking up from standby/unlocking the phone constantly. Ich switched the battery three days ago and all my problems are gone. This seems to be a hardware failure of the battery for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)